MyTeslaWeekend Rumor - Dual Motor only for the first 500k units produced!

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
FWIW, just now from @wholemarscatalog

19370C12-E63C-4B0E-A6B9-A5B090142BFC.jpeg
Until WMC hear's back from EM this is nothing more then a question.

It's basically a "change my mind" table/comment.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the motor housings are NOT part of the front or rear casting.

Motor:
Tesla Cybertruck MyTeslaWeekend Rumor  - Dual Motor only for the first 500k units produced! images (28)

Casting without seperate motor assembly showing suspension riser mounting hole etc:

Tesla Cybertruck MyTeslaWeekend Rumor  - Dual Motor only for the first 500k units produced! images (29)

So you can plonk any motor combination in there you want, provided it physically fits in and connects to the casting mounting points. The only other connections are the power and control wiring and the driveshafts to each wheel.

Motors are removable from the car so they are easily repairable. They are the most wearing part of the vehicle and need to be repairable. The castings do not move, do not wear (maybe fatigue over very long time) and require disassembly of the entire end of the car, as they are not repairable, only replaceable. That is if you don't write it off with insurance and buy a whole new car instead.

The suspension on the CT is also connected to the casting, as will be the steering assembly, including the rear. It would be possible not to populate the 4WS hardware, but I highly doubt they will.

This is because the CT has a much longer wheelbase than any comparable truck (Rivian, Lightning, Hummer etc) and it actually needs the 4WS to have a comparable steering radius. Because of this the steering dynamics will be significantly different between the versions, meaning a driver swapping from one to the other will experience a completely different vehicle, which could be dangerouseven if swapping between vehicles on your driveway. The rear steering add also is not a high cost element, and helps safety considerably, especially for towing as it can remove trailer sway, reduces tyre scrub, reduces drag by allowing smaller wheel arche volumes, improves off-road sand driving range etc. It will also cost less than $1000, likely around $400‐600.

Because of the above I highly doubt the motor housing will be included into the casting, UNLESS the design allows easy removal and repair, say through a removable end, and there is only one motor assembly for all models.

CT is meant to be highly production optimised, and EM's magnum opus, so don't sell him short on standard features.

This is also the reason I think the CT will only come in a QM configuration and that the Dual motor, if at all, will only have the rear motor housing populated and only rear wheel drive.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the motor housings are NOT part of the front or rear casting.

Motor:
images (28).jpeg

Casting without seperate motor assembly showing suspension riser mounting hole etc:

images (29).jpeg

So you can plonk any motor combination in there you want, provided it physically fits in and connects to the casting mounting points. The only other connections are the power and control wiring and the driveshafts to each wheel.

Motors are removable from the car so they are easily repairable. They are the most wearing part of the vehicle and need to be repairable. The castings do not move, do not wear (maybe fatigue over very long time) and require disassembly of the entire end of the car, as they are not repairable, only replaceable. That is if you don't write it off with insurance and buy a whole new car instead.

The suspension on the CT is also connected to the casting, as will be the steering assembly, including the rear. It would be possible not to populate the 4WS hardware, but I highly doubt they will.

This is because the CT has a much longer wheelbase than any comparable truck (Rivian, Lightning, Hummer etc) and it actually needs the 4WS to have a comparable steering radius. Because of this the steering dynamics will be significantly different between the versions, meaning a driver swapping from one to the other will experience a completely different vehicle, which could be dangerouseven if swapping between vehicles on your driveway. The rear steering add also is not a high cost element, and helps safety considerably, especially for towing as it can remove trailer sway, reduces tyre scrub, reduces drag by allowing smaller wheel arche volumes, improves off-road sand driving range etc. It will also cost less than $1000, likely around $400‐600.

Because of the above I highly doubt the motor housing will be included into the casting, UNLESS the design allows easy removal and repair, say through a removable end, and there is only one motor assembly for all models.

CT is meant to be highly production optimised, and EM's magnum opus, so don't sell him short on standard features.

This is also the reason I think the CT will only come in a QM configuration and that the Dual motor, if at all, will only have the rear motor housing populated and only rear wheel drive.
Excellent run down. Especially the 4ws. I was starting to conflate motors casings and mega castings myself. I still think there could be 2 front end configurations and 1 rear to make 4 combos.

On many vehicles the frames have extra mounting points to accept different configurations. Tesla castings could be the same to accept the different motor casings or Tesla could do a fresh cast type for the matching motor subassembly.

If it only takes one hour to change the die I suspect the later for more efficient structural cast with just the right amount of material to mount the motor assembly to.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is because the CT has a much longer wheelbase than any comparable truck (Rivian, Lightning, Hummer etc) and it actually needs the 4WS to have a comparable steering radius.
I hadn’t noticed this at launch, but it’s true. Makes me think 4WS was the plan from go but since the early prototype didn’t have it they didn’t announce it.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think it was an option, but EMs driving made it a must have. 😋

The longer wheelbase also improves cabin space, puts bed loads more centrally on the rear axle, balances more payload weight on the front axle, and increases tow hitch downforce capacity and trailer capacity. Only real negative left is ramp over angle.

The only other way to counter the steering radius is either more front steering angle, which produces even more tyre scrub, more CV joint angle wear, and larger less aerodynamic voids behind the wheel.

For offroad use (mode?), at least until the rear steering runs out of steering angle (about 10-15degrees) the rear wheels can follow the compacted track made by the front wheels, which on loose beach sand will reduce motor load and improve range, as the rear no longer cuts the corner making its own tracks.

Honestly, the long wheelbase was one of the first things I commented on on the release night when it drove up on stage and my first thought was that thing will steer like a ship.

Wheelbase is the dominant factor for determining interior space on any passenger vehicle (not so much truck where you can use bed space instead), as the front wheel determines the location of the front footwell, and the rear wheel the rear seat backrest. Open any car and you will see this, and is why larger interior cars have longer wheel bases, like the classic limos. Compare a Subi to a MY.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I hadn’t noticed this at launch, but it’s true. Makes me think 4WS was the plan from go but since the early prototype didn’t have it they didn’t announce it.
At a 150” it’s a little shorter wheelbase than most supercrew’s with 6.5’ beds (~157”), and a little longer than supercrews with a 5.5m bed (145”) such as the Lightning

To give it a turning radius compatible to a Lightning, it would require a small improvement to max turn angle (<1% more)

but I don’t want to say anything to discourage a tank turn instead

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
With 4WS the difference to other Teslas won't be as bad either so people will be much more comfortable switching between them.

This way they are reducing the front wheel angle and improving everything else at the same time.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Motor:
images (28).jpeg

images (29).jpeg

Thank you for saying what I've been trying to get across for months.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Thank you for saying what I've been trying to get across for months.

-Crissa
Not only you lol... :ROFLMAO:

In the this day and age content needs pictures and diagrams as we are all visually overstimulated. Words just don't cut it sometimes. Videos are better really, but many don't have the time to watch them.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I think it was an option, but EMs driving made it a must have. 😋
I can envision this. Elon driving the CT to the fancy LA restaurant and finding it a bitch to park. He probably called the engineers that night to set up a 6:00 meeting and the team had a design and price estimate in a week. As you say in mass production this will add less than $1000.

This kind of decisive decision making is what separates Tesla from the others. Ford would have debated for 6 months while asking permission from it's suppliers.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck (Reserved), Mazda 3 Hatchback
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Interesting, as this flies in the face of everything else people are predicting; especially the likes of Tailosive EV.

I actually hope this is true. My original reservation is for a dual motor.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Musk is going to build the most profitable and, the one that will get the best media reviews, Cybertruck first. That will be the fastest four wheel drive model to compete Ford and Chevy. He wants the most and best free press he can get.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Rivian will go broke soon unless they can talk “Short Tesla” Bill Gates into putting billions more into it.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Rivian will go broke soon unless they can talk “Short Tesla” Bill Gates into putting billions more into it.
“Soon” being roughly 3 years at the current burn rate.

They have plenty of cash. I suspect they are going to struggle to find new investors unless they can figure out profitability and scale with what they’ve got.
Sponsored