Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
15) All Tesla’s to date still use a 12V lead acid battery to run computers, interior electronics, etc. Tesla vehicles are totally reliant on the 12V battery to function. They were a PITA to change out on the early Model S vehicles but Tesla relocated it for easier access on the newer models.

6AF52435-0C8F-478C-A955-CB4C8D6922E7.jpeg
They are really easy to access on the model 3!
Sponsored

roncruiser

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1994 80 Series Land Cruiser, 2002 100 Series Lexus LX450, 2005 Lexus IS300
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
  1. My very first new car purchase in over 50 years on this earth. Automobiles are notoriously bad investments and I've successfully avoided new car purchases like I do Covid-19. BUT I deserve it. #2 helps.
  2. I can now safely more than afford it. No loan required and debt free.
  3. Just as cool as my '94 80 Series Landcruiser. Time will tell.
  4. Long range Electric Vehicle.
  5. 4WD and real off-road capable.

Cysco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
50th Anniversary Porsche 911, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Country flag
1. Lifestyle vehicle - I tend to own two vehicles. One sports car and one utility vehicle for light off-road capabilities. To me, The CT is the first EV that checks one of those boxes.
2. Range - I’ve always told myself I’m holding off on getting an EV until I can go a full day’s road trip on one charge. For us, that’s usually around 500 miles.
3. Customization - I enjoy customizing my cars. I imagine there are going to be tons of ways to mod the CT.
4. Towing - Wife and I have Airstream dreams. CT probably gets us closer
5. Uniqueness - CT is the first EV that makes me go “oh man, that’s cool.”

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
  1. Awesome Design - My own personal sci-fi vehicle
  2. Well Rounded - Its Power, Range, Internal Dimensions, and Exterior Dimensions allow it to be a best of many worlds hybrid. It basically is an SUV with the hauling capabilities of a truck, the potential to be able to handle light duty off road adventures, and the durability to survive the worst parking lot neighbors
  3. I want a truck - I will need a truck in 5 years when I plan to remodel the house.
  4. All Electric - I am on the EV train and I am not getting off
  5. Software - Tesla's constant improvements via software updates is a game changer. If you own a Tesla you know what I am talking about.

Last edited:

Dennis W.

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator
Occupation
Engineer (Retired)
Country flag
1. 500+ mile range. Adequate range for road trips.
2. Supercharger network. Makes road trips possible in an electric vehicle.
3. Pickup truck functionality. Carry people. Carry stuff. Tow stuff.
4. FSD. Tesla should make good progress toward FSD by the time my reservation comes up.
5. Solar panel option. Don't know how practical it'll be, but I really like the idea.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
15) No lead-acid battery that goes bad after 5 years

All Tesla’s to date still use a 12V lead acid battery to run computers, interior electronics, etc. Tesla vehicles are totally reliant on the 12V battery to function. They were a PITA to change out on the early Model S models but Tesla relocated the battery for easier access on later models.

6AF52435-0C8F-478C-A955-CB4C8D6922E7.jpeg
Is it lead -acid, or something way cooler>

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Is it lead -acid, or something way cooler>
lead acid can be replaced drop in no problem with a life4po lithium battery. i make them for motorcycles, did 1 for my old miata too, no problems in 2 years

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
1> 500 mile range
2> FSD (most likely company to create it)
3> It's an EV.
4> It hauls like a truck
5> It hauls ass, like a sport car.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
It’s interesting to me how many members did NOT include the 3mm thick SS exoskeleton in their top five list. This feature, and the rumored million mile battery pack, is why this truck should last for decades instead of the traditional 5-10 years.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It’s interesting to me how many members did NOT include the 3mm thick SS exoskeleton in their top five list. This feature, and the rumored million mile battery pack, is why this truck should last for decades instead of the traditional 5-10 years.
TBH i could care less if it's "bulletproof" as I, for one, don't live in south central LA or Oakland (I kid I kid)

The SS body is a bit overkill IMHO, but it should be durable, but I am curious how it will stand up to everyday dents and scratches. Especially when hauling things like rocks in the bed. SS is tough, but tough may also mean tough to repair without it being very costly. You will not be able to straighten, bondo and paint like a traditional vehicle. You will have to replace panels, that's never cheap.

There is a lot of focus on the "million" mile battery, but there are TONS of other components in this vehicle that will not last that long. IE Computers, displays, sensors, cameras, cables, electric motors, seats, etc.

Technology is another double edge sword. Computers are obsolete shortly after you buy them and in 3-5 years can't run the latest software that has been developed (or if they can they run it very poorly). Tesla has already run into this limitation in some ways on older model S cars that do not have the equipment to support the latest software or FSD tech.

Yes it would be nice if the car lasted for decades and million miles, in theory any car that is well maintained can hit that goal, but in the real world that's the exception rather than the rule.

Lyleclk

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla cyber truck
Occupation
If i tell u, ill have to kill you.. lol
Country flag
In one word "Technology" !!

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I've only owned trucks since my first Ford Ranger when I was 18. Followed that up with another Ranger, then F-250 (convinced me that I should never own anything less then a full size truck) and now my F150. My requirements for a truck are pretty easy to meet; minimum 6' bed (with the tailgate closed), minimum extended cab (I don't need 4 full size doors and would prioritize the bed length over rear seat cab space), 4x4 (or AWD), a big gas tank (My F250 had 2 factory 16 gal tanks and an aftermarket 43 gal tank in the bed. MPGs were not great, but I could drive 1200+ miles if all were full. My current F150 has the 32 gal tank...which gets me about 500 miles {riding on 35s})...and last but not least, it's got to be a good deal. Bottom line, the CT met these needs and did it in spectacular fashion being priced competitive with it's ICE competition. I've never purchased a new vehicle because they depreciate so quickly, but this Tesla truck is making a great argument.

These 5 reasons are in order of how important each one is for me, but if any single one of them were not achieved I would not buy the CT it so they are equally important from that perspective.

1. It's an actual full size truck.

2. Price over the long term (My next truck will cost me at least $30k and I'd be spending about $36k in gas over 10 years...so that's my rough break even point I guess. Though I'd be spending less on other maintenance ICE related {oil changes, filters, etc} those numbers are fairly minimal barring a big problem.), plus the reservation was only $100 fully refundable. One thing I'm still not sure about it is insurance. I have no idea what insurance costs is going to be...anyone have an idea?

3. It's off-road capable (ridiculous ground clearance and AWD; the integrated bed cover and air lower-able suspension are bonuses!)

4. 500+ miles of range (for the tri-motor) allows me to hunt with it (156 miles from home to deer camp = 312 mile round trip, plus some driving around in the mountains with cold temps during the week...even 500+ range is cutting it close and it's the minimum range for an EV that I would even consider purchasing.)

5. Network of available charging stations if I want to take a cross-country trip (understanding that fuel-up will take quite a bit longer then a typical gas stop). I know there are other non-Tesla specific charging stations throughout the country, but I'm not sure how robust the non-Tesla network actually is.

If the electric F150 also comes out meeting these requirements I'll have a decision to make. Certainly any maintenance that has to be done would be more easily serviced at any Ford dealer verses the single place to take a Tesla in the state.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
1. retirement vehicle: body, glass and drive train will last 20-30 years.
2. retirement vehicle: Home solar PV will provide charging so no paying for fuel on fixed income.
3. retirement vehicle: FSD will drive my wife and us after our driving skills diminish.
4. likely easy to get in and out of truck.
5. big enough for hauling stuff, and locking up groceries in vault plus hauling grandkids and guests for road trips.

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004-ish Toyota RAV4, 2015 Nissan Leaf, & 1973 Chevy Suburban w 454 [RIP 2008-ish Kia Sportage].
Occupation
E
Country flag
1a. Finally something that is equal to or better than my 1973 Chev. Suburban C10 (that seats 8 plus).
1b. i.e.: It's not a step down in size and capabilities (other than 6 vrs. 8 seats).
2. Lower (presumed) cost of maintenance.
3a. I can use it as my daily driver
3b. Lower cost per mile
4a. Seats 6 (versus the 'Y' only seating 5 in normal configuration)
4b. Cheaper, or at least similarly priced, to the 'Y'.
5. Rust, rust, rust, rust, rust.... not a worry any more.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
#1 - Stainless Steel body (good for Canadian winter roads)
#2 - Electric
#3 - I just felt in love with that interior
#4 - Performance numbers
#5 - Utility
Sponsored