Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Cybertruck validation continues.

We might not see the Delivery Day event until November 21st. Exactly 4-years after Tesla revealed the Cybertruck concept truck.
Sponsored

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Video & pics

Tesla Cybertruck New roof rack / crossbar spotted on Cybertruck Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 7.46.10 PM

Tesla Cybertruck New roof rack / crossbar spotted on Cybertruck Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 7.46.30 PM

Clat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Drone stuff
Country flag
Well said @PilotPete

Looks like the receivers are slightly canted / angled inward. Wonder if that’s by design

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Z4, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2008 R1200RT
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Lidar is getting smaller, but I dunno.

I'd have to ask, I think, to know if they're precision GPS or Lidar. The former I think are cheaper?

-Crissa

Last edited:

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Torque news claiming these are LiDAR. News used to require some research.
https://www.torquenews.com/node/49824/amp
I don’t see in the close ups where the LiDAR visibility would be. Also, LiDAR normally isn’t happy with a “non-level” installation. I see a coax cable coming from the bottom, which is consistent with precision GPS. I don’t know that anyone verified or researched anything, but assumed it was LiDAR. After all, if you don’t understand, why would they need GPS? I mean, the truck has its own GPS, right? But as I mentioned before, there are quite a few uses for precision GPS.

Tesla Cybertruck New roof rack / crossbar spotted on Cybertruck IMG_2017
Tesla Cybertruck New roof rack / crossbar spotted on Cybertruck IMG_2018
Tesla Cybertruck New roof rack / crossbar spotted on Cybertruck IMG_2019

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
calibrating? building reliability?

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
calibrating? building reliability?
If I were to guess, I would say this has something to do with Autopilot or FSD. Those antennas, along with a decent GPS receiver and post processing, will give you accuracy in the ”just a few” centimeters range. Which means it can tell where the truck sits within the lane, stops how close to the limit line, accel and deceleration rates, lateral loads during turns, everything. Think of it as recorded hyper-accurate feedback. Or, hyper-accurate data to back the video you feed to the AI farm. And then you can see how that data affects the system and its response to the new data.

We use very similar antennas and data recording receivers to get data on flight validations. So I’m translating everything I can see on the data and how it might be used on the CT. I could be very wrong. But it makes sense.

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
If I were to guess, I would say this has something to do with Autopilot or FSD. Those antennas, along with a decent GPS receiver and post processing, will give you accuracy in the ”just a few” centimeters range. Which means it can tell where the truck sits within the lane, stops how close to the limit line, accel and deceleration rates, lateral loads during turns, everything. Think of it as recorded hyper-accurate feedback. Or, hyper-accurate data to back the video you feed to the AI farm. And then you can see how that data affects the system and its response to the new data.

We use very similar antennas and data recording receivers to get data on flight validations. So I’m translating everything I can see on the data and how it might be used on the CT. I could be very wrong. But it makes sense.
Not just related to AP or FSD, since are seeing this cruise downtown, they could also be validating the onboard antennas reception performance for basic NAV stuff. Since are seeing this rig run downtown, where the tall buildings can affect that performance.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Not just related to AP or FSD, since are seeing this cruise downtown, they could also be validating the onboard antennas reception performance for basic NAV stuff. Since are seeing this rig run downtown, where the tall buildings can affect that performance.
Entirely possible! In my original guess I mentioned that as a possibility. Being able to deal with multi path reflections is not a big deal, until you think of FSD. Then it's a big deal.

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
Entirely possible! In my original guess I mentioned that as a possibility. Being able to deal with multi path reflections is not a big deal, until you think of FSD. Then it's a big deal.
I must have missed it in there, Pete. :)

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I saw the exact same setup on a model 3 today in San Francisco
Sponsored