NJRE pointing out the obvious, yet so many people IRL are deliberately ignorant!!! https://youtu.be/tfihgsJOiD0

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here is the biggest issue with Tesla. Lack of marketing. They have gained their market share mostly from word of mouth, but if you ask most people if they heard of the cybertruck they would look at you funny.

Ask people if they know what an F150 is, and they nod.

Ford has come out both barrels blazing on the Thunderbolt. Even getting endorsements from POTUS nonetheless. They are coming to win this electric pickup war.

Telsa announced the CT in 2019 and then pretty much crickets, save a few breadcrumbs for the tesla fanboys. They have wasted years of potential marketing and getting them in as a house hold name.

If they wanna win the truck wars, you need to get some skin in the game. It won't matter if they have the best batteries or anything if no one knows about it.
Tesla sells pretty much everything they can make. Once cybertrucks start getting delivered people will know about them. No advertising necessary. Quality sells itself.
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Here is the biggest issue with Tesla. Lack of marketing. They have gained their market share mostly from word of mouth, but if you ask most people if they heard of the cybertruck they would look at you funny.

Ford has come out both barrels blazing on the Thunderbolt. Even getting endorsements from POTUS nonetheless. They are coming to win this electric pickup war.

Telsa announced the CT in 2019 and then pretty much crickets, save a few breadcrumbs for the tesla fanboys. They have wasted years of potential marketing and getting them in as a house hold name.

If they wanna win the truck wars, you need to get some skin in the game. It won't matter if they have the best batteries or anything if no one knows about it.
Gotta say…. I don’t think there will be any need for marketing. Sure some people will find the Ford lightning through marketing because that will basically be the only way to find out about it short of your neighbor owning one and parking it next to you so you see it every day.

The CT on the other hand… If there is one delivered within 50 miles of your rural or 25 miles of your suburban home, you are going to hear about it. Multiple times. From multiple people. And the first time you are tooling along minding your own business and happen to come upon the CT just right there on the side of the street, you better just ignore the temptation to look cause otherwise you are going to drive right off the road.

I’ve had a smaller version of this very situation. I preordered and received one of the very first PT Cruizers. You have no idea how many cars nearly ran off the road, into pedestrians, over a cliff because they were gawking at my humble little PT. Just wait till the alien spaceship drops off a CT in the area. Like them or hate them, people are going to gawk. Every time one parks in town, people are going to approach and ask questions or take pictures. Everyone in the area is going to know this thing and is in town.

And Tesla is going to build millions of these ASAP. They have the battery capacity to build them. They have the preorders to build out. They are going to be everywhere before any new orders will even be able to be built.

In the meantime, Ford is going to have to scale their builds based on the battery capacity they can somehow finagle. But even with marketing, the question will be if the demand or the battery supply will be the limiting factor. There is no way that Ford will have over 1 million built out in the next few years. And even with all the marketing they can muster, buyers will still have to deal with the vestigial dealerships. It will be a minor miracle if Ford can pull this off.

But hey, that’s just my opinion. Listen to your heart and watch what happens. My money is on Tesla with no marketing of the CT. Well, I do predict that Elon will be driving his more regularly so there will be lots of paparazzi photos coming out. And he may have a team try running the CT in a race or two… Does that count?

Either way, CT for the win.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Most buyers do their research on youtube these days. I know I do it for everything that costs significant money. I wanted to buy a new compound bow this year. I can find countless number of youtube channels that do reviews of every bow I might consider getting. When I buy a new vehicle, I do the same...have a list of my top picks and then go watch reviews.

As long as people even know that CT exists, most will naturally go to the web to do some research before buying any BEV truck.

For better or worse, youtube is where Tesla gets its marketing from. The second we have a real CT that people can drive and test out along with a real (name your other truck) to test out, we will have youtube videos galore comparing and declaring the winner in each category people care about. If the CT is built as amazing as people think it will be, then it will win the truck war. If it has major flaws in areas where a competitor doesn't, then it will lose market share to that competitor. It really is just up to Tesla to make sure it builds a truck that wins the performance and functionality test, hands-down. It is also up to Tesla to produce them at a high rate before their competition does. Social media will do the rest.

If Tesla doesn't produce the crazy good specs that the CT3 has on paper, then it won't be very distinguished from it's competition and aesthetics will start playing a role in purchase decisions. You can bet also that the big3 will eventually get it right. If not, then a Chinese company or other startup will eventually get it right and produce a well spec'd truck. It's up to Tesla to produce. I'm hoping that we hear from Tesla soon on the production model. I personally feel it is too many times we get promises from Tesla about things and then are let down on the timelines. I don't mean just a little. Timelines are way off, and it is hard to continue to get excited about a product when you can't trust the timelines that are thrown around. At least not when there is competition out there sharing tons of test data and giving access on what to expect, etc. A few empty tweets is not enough for me.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I've been saying the same thing for years. Tesla is expanding pretty much as quickly as they could ever want, faster than any other car maker. If you want a different make, you go to a lot and buy one. If you want a customized vehicle from somewhere else, you order it and it'll be there much faster than a Tesla. Maybe in 5 years when most companies are selling EV's as the majority of their sales and there is a more even split in market share, Tesla might consider marketing. But as it stands now, it's not going to make them any extra money if they can't even keep up with the demand as it is right now and once their new factories are finished...they still won't be able to keep up with the increased demand they are getting.

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag
Tesla sells pretty much everything they can make. Once cybertrucks start getting delivered people will know about them. No advertising necessary. Quality sells itself.
%100 on the nose! That’s exactly what I was about to say.
Ever heard of Costco??
Same concept ?

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

Ford spent how much money on that f150 recognition? Tesla spent $0 and people know the CT. the marketing industry wants you to think that you need them. you don't.

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If they wanna win the truck wars, you need to get some skin in the game.
They're building the biggest building in the USofA... In TX... investing bbbbbillions... To make the most badass truck the Earth/Moon/Mars has ever seen! Skin? They just polar-bear dipped in "your mom's” bathtub!

*No offense intended... Just jokes ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Here is the biggest issue with Tesla. Lack of marketing. ... It won't matter if they have the best batteries or anything if no one knows about it.
Yet Tesla has more reservations than Ford does by an order of magnitude. (I can't believe I got to use the word twice correctly today!)

I preordered and received one of the very first PT Cruizers.
OMG, really? They were so uncomfortable and hideous! But I gotta admit, they turned heads.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I preordered and received one of the very first PT Cruizers.

OMG, really? They were so uncomfortable and hideous! But I gotta admit, they turned heads.

-Crissa
Yeah, I actually wanted to buy an old 50’s panel van to restore and drive. But I didn’t have the money or the time. And the the PT came out. At the time I was driving $300 clunkers. When I ordered the PT my car didn’t have a key, or a heater core, and had a custom biohazard symbol and ugly flames painted on it by someone with very little art skills. Did I mention it was a Honda Prelude 2-door from the 80’s? Anyway when I saw the PT I imagined a panel van with heat and leather seats. So I ordered one. The gawking was kinda fun actually. But it did result in getting pulled over by the cops so they could ask about it. Then a friend asked me to be the driver at her wedding from the church to the reception. And it did get rear ended by a boat of an Oldsmobile being driven by some teen girl. And finally the engine was giving out at just over 100k miles. So I got rid of it before any more trouble came my way. It was an experience but I’m glad to be out from under it. Subsequently I’ve only been driving Toyota. Next will be my CT.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag

No one knows about the cyber truck? 1/2 million reservations as of February 2021 from 146K on the first day. How many does the F150 have? 20K on the first day and now up to a whopping 45K as of last count? Uh huh... sure. Okay. You sound like you know what you are talking about. I would suggest that you google a bit more. One last thing, I own a 1971 F250 camper special that I have loved keeping alive and well for over 15 years. I am a Ford guy. I am glad Ford has offered "something", but marketing is really all they have compared to the cybertruck. One last, last thing, the single motor cyber truck is the last version to be built. The only competition the lightning has is the weakest one.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag

I agree. I am a shareholder and it burns me.
When I checked out some YouTube postings (advertisements) about the Ford product it was all Ford fanboy material, "the greatest thing since sliced bread, can't wait to get one" and on and on but they were all turning a blind eye to the lack of range, lack of a dependable charging network, poor payload, lightweight towing capacity, limited experience in the EV world and ultimately the cost of the model that most buyers will actually buy, (not the entry-level base model) is more expensive than the CT-3, you know things that matter in regards to a truck. It was sad. It's like if you dangle a treat in front of the general public and whistle they will snap it up like a pet. Slap that brand on it, make it look like familiar fruit and hook, line & sinker.
I hear aluminum fetches a pretty penny at the scrap yard.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
When your future success is limited by your ability to fill the orders you have you don't waste money on advertising. It is when your future success is limited by the number of orders you have that you advertise.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
When your future success is limited by your ability to fill the orders you have you don't waste money on advertising. It is when your future success is limited by the number of orders you have that you advertise.
Good point. Ford keeps singing that "Ford Tough" jingle and they line up.:)
Sponsored