CyberTruck has its work cut out for it in the worksite electrical truck game

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Only known info/image on the Cybertruck:
(outlet on right is for size comparison)

F80OUuM.jpg
output-onlinejpgtools.jpg

Ford F150 lightning
2ALavup.jpg

Here is what the Chevrolet Silverado EV work truck looks like:
iQY9xG3.jpg

Picture via: https://electrek.co/2023/06/26/chevy-silverado-ev-review/

Video talking about the Frunk, cab, and bed outlets. And "Power Bar" V2L!! (3 kW)

And "Power Bar" V2L!! (3 kW)
5etywCd.jpg
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I can be as skeptical as the next guy

But providing power is such low hanging fruit from a cost and utility perspective, I see zero way that Tesla doesn’t respond appropriately to this piece of the market

And to the extent Tesla is on-paper “less,” such as a few fewer 120v outlets across the whole truck, or a few kW less total service - it’ll be because Tesla has done their research and decided that squeeze wasn’t worth the juice

BTW, as far as job site goes, Tesla has in its pocket still the idea of a powerful onboard compressor. That’s theoretically one job site tool that’s built in. (That said, stringing power cord into a job site seems a bit more straightforward compared to stringing an air hose into the job site.)

In any event, these differences would seem to be marginal from a marketing perspective. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
it’ll be because Tesla has done their research and decided that squeeze wasn’t worth the juice
Certainly, we all need to admit that both Ford and GM have many YEARS (decades) of experience in dealing with fleet and work trunk customers. Certainly, when they designed their current versions they reached out to their existing work truck customers.

Tesla does not have this 'research' experience by any stretch of the imagination, IMO.

BTW, as far as job site goes, Tesla has in its pocket still the idea of a powerful onboard compressor. That’s theoretically one job site tool that’s built in. (That said, stringing power cord into a job site seems a bit more straightforward compared to stringing an air hose into the job site.)
I wonder about the onboard compressor as it would need a tank (consistent pressure) vs just a compressor to run some of the pneumatic tools. Some did theorize that the tank we saw in one of the CT pictures may have been for the air suspension and could be storage for the air compressor.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I wonder about the onboard compressor as it would need a tank (consistent pressure) vs just a compressor to run some of the pneumatic tools. Some did theorize that the tank we saw in one of the CT pictures may have been for the air suspension and could be storage for the air compressor.
details unclear of course, but the air suspension will require a tank

I’m no expert in these systems, but understand and presume that whatever tank is used for air suspension can be double-purposes for an external air compressor hose

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Certainly, we all need to admit that both Ford and GM have many YEARS (decades) of experience in dealing with fleet and work trunk customers. Certainly, when they designed their current versions they reached out to their existing work truck customers.

Tesla does not have this 'research' experience by any stretch of the imagination, IMO.
I am not sure Tesla needs to have that experience. Tesla Has shown it is very aware of the competition (tog of war with F150, adding rear steering after Hummer, talking about four wheel propulsion after Rivian, Frunk mod after Lightning). They just need to look at what competition is offering and they instantly have access to all the research and experience Of GM and Ford.

Last edited:

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Seems like they did pretty good with the Silverado… now can they build and scale enough to get the market…. That I doubt (but you never know)

OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
details unclear of course, but the air suspension will require a tank

I’m no expert in these systems, but understand and presume that whatever tank is used for air suspension can be double-purposes for an external air compressor hose
FYI, it may be a little more complicated than you think because Tesla does monitor and "constantly" maintain the suspension levels based on pressure. Below is the user accessible 'service' screen as shown in my TMX. I occasionally have gotten a warning about the air suspension system over the years so I've looked at the 'service' logs in that user area and that screen over time.

Tesla Cybertruck CyberTruck has its work cut out for it in the worksite electrical truck game qJzdoYC

Last edited:

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
does anyone know what percentage of trucks sold work at an actual worksite??

A lot of people are hung up on that concept that tesla needs to outperform on a worksite from the word go.. and i just have no clue what percentage of actual trucks do so...

ford sold 653k F150's in 2022 .. i have a difficult time believing a large percentage of them go to work sites.

Gm Sold 513, chevy silvaradoes in 2022
Stellantis sold 468k Ram pickups..

So looks like from the big three we have 1.5 Million pickups sold per year.. i am betting with only OK performance at a work site tesla can sell every pickup they make and kick a lot of gas guzzling pickups to the curb.... remember the idea is to get as many ICE vehicles off the road as they can.

IMHO it will be easier to sell a new brand off truck to the people that are NOT going to worksites reguluarly rig the trucks with enough power to tailgate.. and i bet they can sell every truck they make!

OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

A lot of people are hung up on that concept that tesla needs to outperform on a worksite from the word go.. and i just have no clue what percentage of actual trucks do so...

ford sold 653k F150's in 2022 .. i have a difficult time believing a large percentage of them go to work sites.

Gm Sold 513, chevy silvaradoes in 2022
Stellantis sold 468k Ram pickups..

So looks like from the big three we have 1.5 Million pickups sold per year.. i am betting with only OK performance at a work site tesla can sell every pickup they make and kick a lot of gas guzzling pickups to the curb.... remember the idea is to get as many ICE vehicles off the road as they can.

IMHO it will be easier to sell a new brand off truck to the people that are NOT going to worksites reguluarly rig the trucks with enough power to tailgate.. and i bet they can sell every truck they make!
Keep in mind a "work truck" is a pretty diverse term. See the 6 bullet points below as an example. Of course, I'm not sure how many BEV trucks will be sold to that last bullet point!! :)

I bet every electrical related utility/company switched to BEV trucks since they can fill up wholesale.

Via Ford site: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/09/07/ford-trucks-own-work.html
>>>
More than any other heavy-duty pickup in the market, Ford F-Series is trusted by tradesmen to get the job done. Some statistics include:
  • 81.7% of workers in the waste management industry use Ford Super Duty;
  • 78% of government workers use Ford Super Duty;
  • 53.7% of highway and street construction workers use Ford Super Duty;
  • 72.7% of electric services workers use Ford F-150;
  • 61.2% of water, sewer and pipeline construction workers use Ford F-150; and
  • 56.3% of crude petroleum and natural gas workers use Ford F-150 to get the job done.
<<<

OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Wondering if "yester-years" sales mean the same when you have fleet managers that time and time again are referred to as "spreadsheet junkies" that watch the short and long term cost. I think GM is selling their WT (work truck) to a known group of companies and have them all sold out for the foreseeable future. That is my bet :)

Will BEV trucks cost companies less in maintenance AND downtime? How much is this work to companies.

OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
The video 4:20ish talked about 3 kW for that versions of the power bar, 6 kW for V2V, and ?? kW for their V2H where ?? has not been announced.

Tesla has been VERY resistant to V2H or V2x for that matter ... as they would rather you use a 10 kWh power wall and buy multiples of those instead of using 80 kWh (down to 20%) from your vehicle. :)

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
Keep in mind a "work truck" is a pretty diverse term. See the 6 bullet points below as an example. Of course, I'm not sure how many BEV trucks will be sold to that last bullet point!! :)

I bet every electrical related utility/company switched to BEV trucks since they can fill up wholesale.

Via Ford site: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/09/07/ford-trucks-own-work.html
>>>
More than any other heavy-duty pickup in the market, Ford F-Series is trusted by tradesmen to get the job done. Some statistics include:
  • 81.7% of workers in the waste management industry use Ford Super Duty;
  • 78% of government workers use Ford Super Duty;
  • 53.7% of highway and street construction workers use Ford Super Duty;
  • 72.7% of electric services workers use Ford F-150;
  • 61.2% of water, sewer and pipeline construction workers use Ford F-150; and
  • 56.3% of crude petroleum and natural gas workers use Ford F-150 to get the job done.
<<<
Keep in mind in my post I didn't say work trucks I said trucks going to work SITES... because the whole thread was about the massive distribution capabilities of ford and GM and how tesla had work to do to match it.

I understand what you are saying ... my point is of those numbers how many new trucks per year does that account for... and what percentage of 1.5 Million trucks a year is it?

We are pretty sure that fairly quickly Tesla will be able to ramp up to 500k trucks a year; so if the percentage of new truck sales each year is less than 15% than Tesla shouldn't even worry about that market early on and catch those guys in the reset of the CT...

keep in mind most people that go to a work site are VERY brand oriented either the fleet purchaser or the worker themselves KNOWS their brand, their dealer, and the repair guys for their trucks. Of all the audiences to get to try a new brand i think this group will be the hardest to convert.. IOW this is NOT low hanging fruit.. and you always pick the low hanging fruit FIRST.
Sponsored