cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
ford sold 653k F150's in 2022 .. i have a difficult time believing a large percentage of them go to work sites.
no it didnt

ford sold 653k F-series trucks in 2022

and those 653k trucks sold at an average sales price of right at $43,000

I can’t know what you consider a “work site” exactly, but the average price point should give you an idea of who buys the vast majority of F-series trucks
Sponsored

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
no it didnt

ford sold 653k F-series trucks in 2022

and those 653k trucks sold at an average sales price of right at $43,000

I can’t know what you consider a “work site” exactly, but the average price point should give you an idea of who buys the vast majority of F-series trucks
again i didn't say work truck.. i said trucks going to work site.. and yes the majority of the people buying them are middle class peeps who don't need or want 18 different power solutions for a work site... that was the entire point of my post tesla doesn't need to win over the people that want to go weld at a work site or cut lumber for housing or anything else similar.. the majority of truck sales are for people that want a sedan/suv with a bed.. AC adapters to go tailgate is a strong selling point but not so much having 18 outlets and a 220 V plug.

OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
again i didn't say work truck.. i said trucks going to work site.. and yes the majority of the people buying them are middle class peeps who don't need or want 18 different power solutions for a work site... that was the entire point of my post tesla doesn't need to win over the people that want to go weld at a work site or cut lumber for housing or anything else similar.. the majority of truck sales are for people that want a sedan/suv with a bed.. AC adapters to go tailgate is a strong selling point but not so much having 18 outlets and a 220 V plug.
You make some good point but I've seen a surprising number of people on different forums and social media using the Ford outlets for outside local events (school, sports clubs, etc) or powering parts of their home (fridge, chest freezers, wifi routers, natural gas heater fans, etc). You don't need the V2H fancy setup but just some extension cords.

Tesla Cybertruck CyberTruck has its work cut out for it in the worksite electrical truck game iWBXEJ9

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
again i didn't say work truck.. i said trucks going to work site..
yeah I know

which is why I said I don’t know what you mean by “work site” exactly

Otherwise that seems a weird way to frame what you really seem to be asking which is something like: how many people care about outlets and 240v for running power tools and similar equipment

Not the way I’d frame it for why companies want to offer it

you have a massive battery there for the using

“how do you capitalize on that for increased functionality?”

For example, 240v is the key to the castle for anyone who wants to power their home in an emergency

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
You don't need the V2H fancy setup but just some extension cords.
agreed like i said throw in enough outlets to do a really kewl tailgate.. and i think you will sell more trucks per year than you can make at max production... once you figure out the demand isn't going away and order another couple of 9 ton gigapresses to set up more lines THAN you will have better battery tech and you can go for the rest of the truck users that NEED more from a truck than most of us...

we always have to keep in mind when asking what tesla will probably do, NOT how do they make the most money but how do the put the most number of ev's on the road the fastest.. for me.. that seems obvious skip the dedicated i am a truckman guys.. and go for the average consumer instead.

OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
agreed like i said throw in enough outlets to do a really kewl tailgate.. and i think you will sell more trucks per year than you can make at max production...
Come on, we both know that Tesla's game is Power Wall sales and not V2H. This has been discussed in various Tesla interviews. I think the NACS being adopted by others will FORCE Tesla to actually work on V2X *way* sooner than they wanted to. :)

GM and Ford are outmaneuvering Tesla on the pickup truck features for what the average owner believes they need. Just hardcore Tesla fans going for the CyberTruck ;) GM and Ford know their decades long truck market intimately. I think Tesla will copy when they can like quad steering; mega frunk, etc. I think they will copy GM and Ford in this area too. Tesla's tailgate ramp was a joke. They'll figure it out by looking at what others have done and want.

I love competition and it is good for all of us!!!

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
I work in healthcare, not a job site. But I absolutely expect to be able to tap into the battery to use tools around the house/yard. If there’s not a 240v plug, that will absolutely be a dealbreaker.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Some key stat collection on the EValanche fleet WT:

• 44.3 inches of legroom, an inch farther than a regular Silverado crew cab's - they moved cabin/front seats toward front bumper
• 81.6 inches wide (are there indicators?)
• 233.1-inch length
• drag coefficient of 0.33, most aerodynamic GM truck
• seven-gallon main compartment in dash
• 11-cubic-foot frunk
• 5’11” bed
• 510 hp and 615 lb-ft
• 2923-pound pack, shared with theHummer EV
• curb wt of ~8,500lb
• tow up to 10,000 lb, haul 1440 lb
• 7 power outlets, up to 7.2 kW, but adding an accessory inverter increases those figures to 10 outlets and 10.2 kilowatts.

Apparently, this 4WT was built for 350 committed fleet operators willing to “pay” for early adoption - intended approach is GM gets a a single initial build configuration, plus valuable feedback on how it handles various duty cycles, before advancing the rest of the WT line for retail sales.

I suspect these 350 fleet operators are among GM’s largest and most ecosystem-embedded clients (eg they buy not only the units, but all the associated services and subscriptions, at scale).

In that sense, I think the $79K unit pricing is pretty misleading and not terribly indicative of what the actual all-in OpEx/CapEx for adoption will be to the 350 fleet operators taking these things

Like Tesla and Ford, these companies are starting to view their units as delivery devices for services and recurring subscription fees.

That both makes MSRP and unit margins less important to bottom line value to business, while for the same reasons making the MSRP for customers just a jumping-off point.

It’s the cell iPhone model
Sponsored