Not sure about the excitement regarding crab walk feature..

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
…on a ground vehicle, you also have friction on the ground, not to mention more tire wear with even slight crabbing; that's why wheel alignment is a biggie if you want your tires to last.
At the end of the day, unless measurable results can feedback immediately to a Tesla computer that shows gain-of-range from use over time, crabbing by trim doesn’t incentivize use.

Tires and tire contact patch with ground remain parallel, in alignment, with crabbing wheels. Crabbing side-effect is that the Cybertruck angle of attack into its apparent wind can be increased. Increasing angle of attack reduces drag, side loads on truck and rolling friction experienced at the tire contact patch.

SO theoretically 4WS might actually be capable of saving tire wear, changing aerodynamic drag for better THUS ultimately reducing battery energy consumption realized as range that’s preserved.

Any gain from 4WS trim is a kind of aero energy efficiency as 4680 conserves a kind of momentum energy efficiency in Cybertruck due to its weight reduction and smaller form factor that affects CE.
Sponsored

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
Crab walk is a side-show (get it… crab walk… side show… never mind).

4 Wheel steering is what is interesting. Steering radius is one of the Achilles heals of long wheelbase trucks. It makes tight turns near impossible and parking a pain in the ass. Crab walk is almost a freebee with 4 wheel steering. Just a matter of having a (virtual) button to push to activate it.

I would be quite happy with the 500 mile tri motor as well. Or even dual motor 500 mile range myself. But getting 4 wheel steering is quite nice.
I don’t care at all about crab walk

BrianStanfill

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
I'm going to be that rare person who is excited about the crab feature along with the 4 wheel steering.

One of the trails in Arizona I was fortunate to take in a ride along with a jeep group was "The Backway To Crown King". This is an incredibly difficult trail requiring high clearance and is perfectly suited for both the narrowness and short wheel base of the jeep. As we were riding along over the 8 hours of slow going I told my friend that there was no way I'm put the longer, wider, dual motor Cybertruck I reserved on that road, but with the 4 wheel steering and "crab" feature; oh yes I would now.

The road has a number of obstacles requiring tight maneuvering besides clearance and is super narrow in lots of places, but this is most definitely doable now. I think the crab and 4 motor/steering feature is a bone thrown to the very large, but under the radar, off road community and will impress those enthusiasts. Coupling high clearance, air suspension, 4 motors, 4 wheel and crab steering; OMG, what a tiger.

I'm afraid the price is going to be stupid, but I'm just old enough, stupid enough to upgrade my order the second they put it on the site. Like all of you, I'm so excited for this truck in all of its possible configurations; we're all going to have trucks that I believe we're going to fall in love with. Have a great day everyone.

OP
OP

Charles

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If the price and range do not change at all, would you be interested in getting the crab walk feature for free? Or even if you don't care about the feature itself, if the price and range don't change, do you care if you have the crab walk feature on your truck?
No feature is fine if it was free. Just have a feeling another motor is going to bump up the price to $ 80k to $100k.

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger, Honda Odyssey, Tesla M3, MY.
Occupation
Retired. Tier II Desktop Support Tech, Southern California Edison
Country flag
If the AWS increases the price, I would hope it is offered as a option as more moving parts equals more things to wear out or go wrong. I want my CT to be as durable as possible and I will stick with the Tri-motor option. ~1000 HP is more than adequate for me.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

All new ways to cross into other lanes and push other cars off the road.

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Who cares about crab walk feature if it will increase the cost of Cybertruck to who knows what. What percent of future cyber truck owners really care about this feature. The quad motor buzz should be more about increased towing range and the other obvious advantages. I would be happy to keep the $69k Tri motor @ 500 mile range.
I don’t care for crab walk but I do care for the improved turning ratio with dual wheel steering on such a big vehicle. I put in a deposit for a dual motor CT and I hope that model, if it still exists after the introduction of the quad CT, also comes with dual wheel steering as standard but I’m not holding my breath.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Could be useful steering a trailer backwards, so the nose doesn't have to swing so wildly
It would be interesting if they had a free steer via the touch screen or scroll wheels. However most people would probably get themselves into trouble with it.

4 wheel steer could definitely be useful, but my main concern is that feature creep will up the cost too much as the cyber is already pretty much at the top of my budget limit.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Could be useful steering a trailer backwards, so the nose doesn't have to swing so wildly
I recall something about trailer assistance mode in some of the marketing stuff. Maybe you won’t have to worry about it at all. Just pull up the screen and tap the trailer all in the image is what I’m hoping for. Truck does the rest, suspension dips down and lifts up into the trailer.

I’m probably being overly generous here but it would be cool. Particularly if you have to occasionally disconnect to charge

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I recall something about trailer assistance mode in some of the marketing stuff. Maybe you won’t have to worry about it at all. Just pull up the screen and tap the trailer all in the image is what I’m hoping for. Truck does the rest, suspension dips down and lifts up into the trailer.

I’m probably being overly generous here but it would be cool. Particularly if you have to occasionally disconnect to charge
Was in the middle of my I-95 north to south one shot drive the other day and lost in thought somewhere around hour 15 thinking about my last trip with a trailer going in the opposite direction. This got me thinking about towing a trailer on the CT with its air adjustable suspension and one possible issue that I was trying to understand how the CT would handle through software.

I see a lot of other guys with trailers not paying much attention to their hitch height with unbalanced trailers not leveled properly, but it is something I prefer to make sure when I tow to get the trailer as close to horizontal as possible through using the correct tongue drop/raise. I'm wondering how the CT will deal with making sure the trailer is horizontal with adjustable suspension that raises and lowers depending on speed and other factors. Hopefully there is a software alignment feature where you can set the zero position once the trailer is attached by raising and lowering the rear suspension until trailer is level. Then the CT would balance its suspension adjustment prioritizing keeping the trailer hitch at that height.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Was in the middle of my I-95 north to south one shot drive the other day and lost in thought somewhere around hour 15 thinking about my last trip with a trailer going in the opposite direction. This got me thinking about towing a trailer on the CT with its air adjustable suspension and one possible issue that I was trying to understand how the CT would handle through software.

I see a lot of other guys with trailers not paying much attention to their hitch height with unbalanced trailers not leveled properly, but it is something I prefer to make sure when I tow to get the trailer as close to horizontal as possible through using the correct tongue drop/raise. I'm wondering how the CT will deal with making sure the trailer is horizontal with adjustable suspension that raises and lowers depending on speed and other factors. Hopefully there is a software alignment feature where you can set the zero position once the trailer is attached by raising and lowering the rear suspension until trailer is level. Then the CT would balance its suspension adjustment prioritizing keeping the trailer hitch at that height.
Yeah, having the hitch raise and lower as your truck adjusts to driving conditions is not a great idea.
Sponsored