Off-Road Mode (Like Track Mode but for Off Roading)

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
While I think you’d be nuts to deliberately drive any car in window deep water, sometimes you don’t realize it’s window deep until it’s too late.
In my case, it wasn't that deep on the intended path. Nor even deep on the backup path. But...it was extremely slippery and downhill from the backup path to the place where it ended up. The planned path was child's pay, but some ASSHOLES had built a campfire ON THE TRAIL. So as I came around a bend in river I had to turn onto a secondary path, and that fell apart.

The CT would have been fine, either floating until it could be pulled, or maybe using the tires for water navigation. The Jeep filled rather quickly. Someone on the banks came out to grab my winch line, so even with quick action, it was full.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Trouble with amphibious is a flood will lift/float the vehicle more easily. I would prefer water tight with vehicle stuck to the road.
Agree. But if the water is over the windshield and muddy, I think I’d prefer floating to sinking.

For the cases where it’s borderline, maybe putting the suspension on max height well give you a little traction boost.

Also… don’t drive in water deeper than the bottom of your car if you can avoid it. The higher it is, the higher the chances things go terribly wrong.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Agree. But if the water is over the windshield and muddy, I think I’d prefer floating to sinking.

For the cases where it’s borderline, maybe putting the suspension on max height well give you a little traction boost.

Also… don’t drive in water deeper than the bottom of your car if you can avoid it. The higher it is, the higher the chances things go terribly wrong.
I am in a hotel, 19th floor, waiting on room service

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Trouble with amphibious is a flood will lift/float the vehicle more easily. I would prefer water tight with vehicle stuck to the road.
Here's an example of why I would want the Cybertruck to float. It's 7'deep, and murky water with 0 visibility. I don't want a submarine that I have to drive on the bottom. I want the weight of the CT to keep it connected to the bottom until it gets too deep and then it starts floating. Too deep is probably around 24".

BTW, I just saw Ogre posted a comment with the same thoughts. Oh well.

Tesla Cybertruck Off-Road Mode (Like Track Mode but for Off Roading) floodedbridge

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Here's an example of why I would want the Cybertruck to float. It's 7'deep, and murky water with 0 visibility. I don't want a submarine that I have to drive on the bottom. I want the weight of the CT to keep it connected to the bottom until it gets too deep and then it starts floating. Too deep is probably around 24"-30".

floodedbridge.jpg
I think I’d stay out of that tunnel unless there was some urgent need to get through. Don’t know what’s submerged that might block your way. Maybe a Honda. Or @SwampNut might have his Jeep parked there.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Here's an example of why I would want the Cybertruck to float. It's 7'deep, and murky water with 0 visibility. I don't want a submarine that I have to drive on the bottom. I want the weight of the CT to keep it connected to the bottom until it gets too deep and then it starts floating. Too deep is probably around 24"-30".

floodedbridge.jpg
Turn around, find a high ground path. Don’t become a statistic.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Well, then I'd still get a pass on this one. I didn't have a beer. But I did say, "Of course we can get up to that hill!"

1674503183216.jpeg

1674503201516.jpeg

Similar happened to a friend, we were driving up a canyon and through the areas that still had water in them. I decided to go around one because it just didn't look quite right it was a deeper blue than the others. We got next to it and about when I said that looks deep my friend entered it and found out exactly how deep it was. Water went up his windshield as he floored it trying to get it to climb out the other side. He got the front up out of the water but that was it. We pulled him out and spent the next hour or so cleaning up the mess.

Edit: and his girlfriend at the time said no problem we can make it.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
But I thought we were getting "Full Self Offroading"
Finally, a good suggestion from this forum. It'd be nice to be able to send my CyberTruck out to do some rock crawling while I stay at the office and get some work done. 😉

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
So what would it do if my spouse is already there, or even driving? Automatic over-ride?
The seat heaters automatically turn on and heat your testicles up to a temperature that kills sperm. If neither of you had enough sense to stay out of this predicament, perhaps you're not ready to become parents. 🤣🤣🤣

Maybe Jeep has had this since the 90s and that's why the wife and I never had kids. 😁

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Finally, a good suggestion from this forum. It'd be nice to be able to send my CyberTruck out to do some rock crawling while I stay at the office and get some work done. 😉
:ROFLMAO:

Whatever floats yer boat.

I just want my truck to be able to meet me at the bottom of the hill after i drive to the top. Not serious off-roading, but often unmapped roads.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
:ROFLMAO:

Whatever floats yer boat.

I just want my truck to be able to meet me at the bottom of the hill after i drive to the top. Not serious off-roading, but often unmapped roads.
I have fantasies about my CyberTruck dropping me and my canoe off at Baker’s ford and make its way to the haul out at Gilbert. 😍
THAT floats my boat.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have fantasies about my CyberTruck dropping me and my canoe off at Baker’s ford and make its way to the haul out at Gilbert. 😍
THAT floats my boat.
Very much what I think Full Off-road Self Drive should be.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
A friend who works in a not-Tesla automotive AI research facility recently watched a virtual car try to back out of a space for five hours, because there was a pinky-sized stick on the ground. The car wouldn't cross it.
Sponsored