Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
Production start to end of 2024 is 18 months. By the time Model Y hits 18 months, they are on track to be producing 4,000 - 5,000/ week. They were at 3,000 end of year. So at the 18 month mark we’re looking at quite a bit more than 50,000 Model Ys during the first year of production.
It was widely reported that Tesla was producing enough 4680s for 1000 Model Ys a week at the very end of 2022, We don't actually know if the full 1000 were produced. Production is very unlikely to start by July 1, 2023. Just way too many new details to work out.
And I've been posting on this site (and Teslarati) intermittently for 3 years that fully autonomous driving is on track for 2028-2030. Please let me know how your predictions for FSD from 3 years ago turned out. I can only imagine you fell for the car salesman's ridiculous predictions.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It was widely reported that Tesla was producing enough 4680s for 1000 Model Ys a week at the very end of 2022, We don't actually know if the full 1000 were produced. Production is very unlikely to start by July 1, 2023. Just way too many new details to work out.
And I've been posting on this site (and Teslarati) intermittently for 3 years that fully autonomous driving is on track for 2028-2030. Please let me know how your predictions for FSD from 3 years ago turned out. I can only imagine you fell for the car salesman's ridiculous predictions.
Tesla just dropped half a billion dollars on equipment. They aren’t letting it sit idle for a year. Maybe July 1 isn’t the start of production. Maybe it’s May 1st. Or August 1st. It’s not going to be July 2024 which is where your projections seem to put it.

I have zero clue why you keep dribbling in pointless nonsense about FSD in every reply since I’ve never said a damned thing about FSD deadlines. Of course being relevant doesn’t seem to be your strong point.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Ultimately I think FSD is and was a harder engineering problem than making a Cybertuck on budget.

By the same token however, they aren't at all interrelated, neither do you need FSD at all to make CT production work.

Regarding your appeal to authority; why do your friends still hang at MIT? Was it because Tesla wouldn't give them a job? 😛

My point is that unless they/you are intimate with Teslas actual, current work, your timing predictions for FSD are as good as anyone's. Let alone irrelevant to CT production.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Ultimately I think FSD is and was a harder engineering problem than making a Cybertuck on budget.

By the same token however, they aren't at all interrelated, neither do you need FSD at all to make CT production work.

Regarding your appeal to authority; why do your friends still hang at MIT? Was it because Tesla wouldn't give them a job? 😛

My point is that unless they/you are intimate with Teslas actual, current work, your timing predictions for FSD are as good as anyone's. Let alone irrelevant to CT production.
I bought TSLA in 2016 yet I just leased my first M3 this week. The lease is extremely appealing. (as low as $349 per month pretax). I think it is because TSLA wants these cars back in 2-3 years when Robotaxi is viable. For me I think we might have the model 2 in 2 years and a model 3 will loose a lot in value so I don't want to worry about resale or battery degradation.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I bought TSLA in 2016 yet I just leased my first M3 this week. The lease is extremely appealing. (as low as $349 per month pretax). I think it is because TSLA wants these cars back in 2-3 years when Robotaxi is viable. For me I think we might have the model 2 in 2 years and a model 3 will loose a lot in value so I don't want to worry about resale or battery degradation.
This is quite a bit like my thinking on leasing.

A lease is almost always a bad deal. Tesla Leases have historically been worse. Maybe that’ll be true this time too, but with the potential budget Tesla coming, Cybertruck coming, things can change and the lease is a low risk deal.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My predictions on autonomous driving have borne out. We had the first no-safety-driver cars in 2020, I don't think it'll become a big thing until 2025. And then it will take years for laws to catch up with it. I made this prediction in 2005.

We've created a system where to do level 3 you need basically the same smarts as level 5, so there's not so much benefit in optimizing for that level. In fact, the better FSD does in testing, the more dangerous (via complacency) it is to test! So only letting it be good at some things at a time is almost essential.

Very weird world we're in.

But comparing FSD predictions vs past production timelines is really dishonest.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
Cyber Rodeo prototype in motion … suspension is in off-road mode making the tires look tiny…
Same thing happens when I put my Cayenne into "Special Terrain" Mode, tires look tiny...

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Same thing happens when I put my Cayenne into "Special Terrain" Mode, tires look tiny...
This is possibly irrelevant, but it's factual.

My Citroen with adjustable road clearance would let you drive at low or high road clearance, but the further from medium or normal height, the less the suspension operation so the bumpier the ride. It had a long wheelbase, so sometimes needed to be driven raised up -- but only at a slow crawl.

That technology was from over 70 years ago, so maybe the CT will do it better.
Sponsored