Off-Road Mode (Like Track Mode but for Off Roading)

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One thing I would like to see in off road mode, would be a way to have much slower throttle response. Having massive amounts of horsepower while trying to go slow rock crawling could be twitchy. On my E-bike I have 0-5 settings for the percentage of motor power available. I have mine set for 1=14% 2=33% 3=50% 4=75% 5 =100%. Something like this could be helpful. I don't want to get bounced from a bump while going slow, and accidentally push the throttle to the floor with 100% power in a slow section. o_O

I think Electric Motocross Motorcycles have similar setups where you can limit power available.
Yeah, that would be super good.

We’ve talked about a lot of this… I just thought the interface on Track Mode was cool and it made me think of this discussion again.
Sponsored

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Track mode does not sound so exciting for a cyber truck. However, off road mode does. And I hope that they improve on what’s been delivered for the model X. The model X has been a nightmare in deep snow. electronics stop it from being able to make any progress.

if cyber truck uses the same algorithm, it will be worthless in Mountain environments. Hopefully they are addressing this

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
What is exciting is the prospect of CT recording the terrain (and surrounds) as it approaches, including the use of radar. And then recreate the road surface under your car on video asif it is live footage.

In effect, we have a 3D 360 degree view of the car.. which we can rotate on screen as if we are part of a computer game.

Maybe we can virtually step outside and step around and view the environment as 3rd person.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
What is exciting is the prospect of CT recording the terrain (and surrounds) as it approaches, including the use of radar. And then recreate the road surface under your car on video asif it is live footage.

In effect, we have a 3D 360 degree view of the car.. which we can rotate on screen as if we are part of a computer game.

Maybe we can virtually step outside and step around and view the environment as 3rd person.
Ever watch the TV show Ice Road Truckers? For a short while they had a spin-off where they took the drivers to the most dangerous roads in South America and South Asia. Crazy mountain roads that were/are entirely too tight and deathly dangerous. For the show, they would attach a bunch of cameras to the trucks so you could see how close they came to danger.

I have long thought that a game company should go map those roads with 360 degree very high resolution cameras during multiple seasons and weather situations. Then use that data to create an ultra realistic 3D game simulation of being a driver on those roads.

With the CT coming, I’d like to do something similar by mapping various challenging off-road routes. Every once in a while I run across some off-road mappings in Google maps but usually the data is sparse and not so clear.

Maybe once I get my CT I can start implementing some of these. It will certainly be interesting to see how well the new hardware and cameras perform.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
3D mapping gets more interesting when the truck can judge the best route or at least red flag the worse ones and hazards you can’t safely navigate.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
What other vehicle could make such a claim?
Toyota and Jeep, maybe others too. I've only experienced it with those.

Seriously, nearly all the stuff in this thread exists in some form on the latest Jeep JL/JT platforms and on 4Runners and well optioned Toyota trucks. The Jeep Gladiator in my profile photo had many off road helpers, and even an off road cruise control that would hold speed. Back to as early as 2013 I had a Wrangler with things like hill descent control, that would apply brakes on every wheel to keep a hair descent from becoming dangerous.

So yeah, the CT will have all this. What I hope for is maybe more.

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
For Off-Roading, I wouldn't mind "Rock Crawler" mode. My boys do that a lot. Pretty intense being a passenger! Not only would you want to raise the suspension; but Cameras would be a game changer. Typically when doing a difficult section, other drivers would be outside there rigs offering "advice" on how to handle the clearance problems and such. If the driver could see how his/her wheels age w.r.t. the high boulders, it would be amazing.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Tesla posted this cool blurb about Track Mode and I instantly thought about what this might mean for the Cybertruck. What kind of crazy off-road specific tweaks could they put in there for off roading aside from the track mode specific stuff?
Sentry mode listens for the comment, “Hold my beer…” and then shuts down the vehicle until the spouse shows up.

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Sentry mode listens for the comment, “Hold my beer…” and then shuts down the vehicle until the spouse shows up.
Shoot. With that feature, I couldn't go anywhere! (says the guy who's cut down a tree leaning at 45 degrees, in sections, over a body of water!)

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Instead of just the maximum speed limit control, it has a maximum angle of attack. The truck just stops if you try to go up a steep climb or boulder.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag

So what would it do if my spouse is already there, or even driving? Automatic over-ride?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well, then I'd still get a pass on this one. I didn't have a beer. But I did say, "Of course we can get up to that hill!"

1674503183216.jpeg

1674503201516.jpeg
While I think people are crazy who think of the Cybertruck as amphibious, there are a few situations where it seems like it would be invaluable.

This is the one.

Floods is another, we’ve seen some cases where even Model 3s have crushed it in flood waters.

While I think you’d be nuts to deliberately drive any car in window deep water, sometimes you don’t realize it’s window deep until it’s too late.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Trouble with amphibious is a flood will lift/float the vehicle more easily. I would prefer water tight with vehicle stuck to the road.
Sponsored