Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 2 motor
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Few need a dually. I tow a 36' 5th wheel 4 slides with GMC 3500 Diesel 4x4 standard 6.5' bed, 4 on the ground, 16K # max. EZ.
Tesla Cybertruck Petition Elon for Dually 20190412_185525
Majority of modern 5th wheels are no more than 16K #s. Just need Beef.
Sponsored

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
Once you use a dually for pulling such loads you don't want to go back. Can you pull such loads with a short bed single axle truck? Sure, you can. Not very stable. I wouldn't want to do it. I don't even like to pass such rigs on the highway......fishing all around.........

Last edited:

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
"Dually and a 5th wheel plate in the vault and CT could compete with almost anything.
This should definitely be an option. "
Let me preface this with some background info. For most of my adult life I was either in the military or drove a Commercial Vehicle (this overlapped when I was in the Army Reserve and drove a CV as my day job). My military career started in the early 70's and ended in 2007 when I medically retired off Active Duty from the Army Reserve. There are very few military or civilian trucks (heavy or light) that I have not driven from those dates. We currently own a 04 Dodge Dually (Boss Lady's truck) that pulls a gooseneck and a 32 foot stock trailer. It is essential for us to have this hauling capability. I also have a 87 Pierce firetruck that I'm adapting to pull some ex-military van trailers I use for various purposes and a 5 ton Military Cargo truck for really heavy hauling. It will haul 10 tons without breaking a sweat. We have a 40 acre farm and these three vehicles are worked like rented mules. I'm buying my CT strictly as a daily driver that might occasionally get called on to haul a pallet of feed or some other small load. We considered replacing the dually with a single axle, medium duty Freightliner like you see pulling toy haulers or very fancy stock trailers but they cost north of 120,000 grand thus putting the kabosh on that. Replacing the truck we have with new Dodge dually (the only truck the BL will have) would cost at least 60 grand and you are stuck with that DEF system that you end up paying a few grand to delete once the warranty is up. If Tesla could build a Medium Duty truck and come in at less than 80 grand they would do a land office business if it got the mileage the Tesla semi is supposed to be getting. Dual cab, 4 door, one ton pickups (of all makes) are the mainstay of farmers, rodeo/horse people, Hot Shot drivers and trades people. My guess is that Elon has his eye on those markets (and the large delivery van market) but is concentrating on getting the CT to market and showing the public that a small electric truck is viable and makes sense. In the Army we had a system called "crawl, walk, run". In the crawl phase you formed a plan and set standards to train to. In the walk phase you did Battle Drills and practiced your plan over and over fine tuning it as you went. In the run phase you fought mock battles to test your soldiers to see if they were meeting or exceeding the standards. I think at this point Tesla is in the walk phase. They have a plan and they are fine tuning it. Once they are satisfied they are meeting standards they will go wide open on production while still doing R and D on other products. The run phase will be when they are meeting demand on the CT and Semi and are looking for new markets to move into. Just my humble opinion for what it's worth.

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
Iā€™m just going to way in here despite the fact that half the people will hate me. Youā€™re asking for an utterly impractical option. Basic math says the truck will be useless for long haul heavy loads. Quit asking for silly crap.

Mike Hickey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 2 motor
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Once you use a dually for pulling such loads you don't want to go back. Can you pull such loads with a short bed single axle truck? Sure, you can. Not very stable. I wouldn't want to do it. I don't even like to pass such rigs on the highway......fishing all around.........
I've been full timing with this rig for 8 years, no sway, GVWR - 3900#. I see many 2500s towing 5th wheels, generally overloaded, GVWR - 2400#.

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
I've been full timing with this rig for 8 years, no sway, GVWR - 3900#. I see many 2500s towing 5th wheels, generally overloaded, GVWR - 2400#.
Cool. You can do it, no doubt. Is the dually more stable and a very different experience when pulling a gooseneck? Yes. Yes, it is. Like the difference driving a Tesla versus an ICE machine. I'm not insulting your vehicle, not at all, just sayin'..........

Mike Hickey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 2 motor
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Cool. You can do it, no doubt. Is the dually more stable and a very different experience when pulling a gooseneck? Yes. Yes, it is. Like the difference driving a Tesla versus an ICE machine. I'm not insulting your vehicle, not at all, just sayin'..........
Yes, you can't beat a dually for towing. Wide stance makes a big difference plus a much higher GVWR than other 3500s. For Gooseneck 30K #s, you need a dually. CT could handle a 19' Scamp Camper (gooseneck).
https://images.app.goo.gl/NhabxezGGLxer4EP9
Tesla Cybertruck Petition Elon for Dually Screenshot_20200309-150921

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
My dually towed better (E350 with 7.3 towed better than F250 with 7.3 or 6.0 and other F250s Iā€™ve had). Itā€™s a stable feelā€”rock solid. But not enough to warrant me having another dually. I even see big rigs with one wide tire instead of a dually sometimes. Maybe they can widen the stance without dual wheels. I estimate zero chance for a dually to tow 14k pounds when efficiency overall is paramount. As others have said. Perhaps solid tires are in order though for less rolling resistance, if the suspension is up for it.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Wow!!! Has anybody else had a similar feeling when you saw the Cybertruck Dually (dual rear wheels) rendering? That IS heart-stopping beauty.

Tesla needs to compete not just with the F-150, but with bigger models.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope Tesla produces a dually Cybertruck. If you get responses from Elon on Twitter, please ask him if heā€™d make it. ???

818A1607-E660-48DE-904D-B3F36F267ED1.jpeg
"WHEN BAD TRUCK GO HENNESEY"

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
All these people wanting duallies. As a Seattlite I do have to vote for the home town boy Sir Mix-A-Lot. But Iā€™m not exclusive. Iā€™m all in for a CT4 without duallies. But I do have an eye for the beautiful view that they provide. Physics wise they probably should be on an even larger CT. But that doesnā€™t stop one from getting implants.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Kind of hate duallies.

Mostly because the biggest idiots and assholes on the road seem unnaturally attracted to them and they end up with 2 wheels in the bike lane, taking 4 parking spots, set up for coal rolling or straight pipes, etc etc.

I know there are lots of legit people in duallies. Not a blanket statement, but most of the time when I notice them, itā€™s someone being an ass in one.

It would be curious to me to see an inboard dually where the wheels are inset instead of pushed out. Then the truck would be ā€œnormalā€ width. The bed would be smaller, but if they are primarily for towing it shouldnā€™t be a problem.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My equally or perhaps more controversial opinion. If it requires a dually to tow it, it should probably require a more difficult to attain drivers license. There are little or no requirements for actually learning how to tow and drive with a towed load in the basic drivers licensing and there are a lot of safety issues with towing heavy loads.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Many semi and trailer manufacturers in Europe are moving to super singles instead of dualities.
More efficient, less wear, obviously far superior off road too. All the expedition RVs have them for that reason. Most semi trailers have had super singles on the rear for decades.

Technically its just about the contact patch and tyre sidewall rigidity, both of which can be integrated into a super single design too. As for dually on independent suspension that will require it's own set of suspension arms etc to allow for the hub to be mounted with a larger offset. Its possible but not going to happen on a CT.

BTW that dually in the photo will be dimensionally overwidth in real life unless they bring it in a bit and lose some bed width. So if your after the look you won't get exactly that because you won't be able to licence it.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Wow!!! Has anybody else had a similar feeling when you saw the Cybertruck Dually (dual rear wheels) rendering? That IS heart-stopping beauty.

Tesla needs to compete not just with the F-150, but with bigger models.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope Tesla produces a dually Cybertruck. If you get responses from Elon on Twitter, please ask him if heā€™d make it. ???

818A1607-E660-48DE-904D-B3F36F267ED1.jpeg
God no.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
BTW that dually in the photo will be dimensionally overwidth in real life unless they bring it in a bit and lose some bed width. So if your after the look you won't get exactly that because you won't be able to licence it.
A dually F-350 is 96" and if I'm not mistaken the max width allowed by law is 102" so a dually version of the CT should in theory be possible without shrinking the bed width. Not that it's gonna happen anyway.
Sponsored