Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
  • Banned
I've seen this question raised but not in a thread. If I overlooked it I'm sorry, but are we going to be permitted to take delivery of our CT's in Austin and avoid a delivery fee? I tweeted this question to Elon but haven't seen a response yet. If not, why not? Seems perfectly reasonable to me and easier for Tesla than carting CT's all over the countryside.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
We don't know. Currently, Tesla doesn't offer this at any of their factories. But they did in the now distant past for Roadsters and Model S. Also, Elon has mentioned wanting to make the campus into a tech hub and place to visit. And they had a visitor's center on the Giga Berlin renderings.

So we don't know. It hasn't been announced.

-Crissa

OP
OP

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
  • Banned
We don't know. Currently, Tesla doesn't offer this at any of their factories. But they did in the now distant past for Roadsters and Model S. Also, Elon has mentioned wanting to make the campus into a tech hub and place to visit. And they had a visitor's center on the Giga Berlin renderings.

So we don't know. It hasn't been announced.

-Crissa
Thanks. I would not be happy having to pay a presumably $2,000 plus delivery fee when I can fly to Austin for a mere $150 and have a leisurely drive home. That would not be my idea of service orientation at all.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Thanks. I would not be happy having to pay a presumably $2,000 plus delivery fee when I can fly to Austin for a mere $150 and have a leisurely drive home. That would not be my idea of service orientation at all.
Just add it to the price of the car when you think of the price. Cruise lines do this with "port fees", too.

The delivery fee (I was under the impression it was $1,200) is an average across all deliveries for Tesla, regardless of destination (obviously not including Aus., Guam, etc.) So they charge the same at the factory or in North Dakota.

Again, it is simply a part of the price.

Martin Harford

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Just add it to the price of the car when you think of the price. Cruise lines do this with "port fees", too.

The delivery fee (I was under the impression it was $1,200) is an average across all deliveries for Tesla, regardless of destination (obviously not including Aus., Guam, etc.) So they charge the same at the factory or in North Dakota.

Again, it is simply a part of the price.
So then the $39,900 etc is a "delivered" price, not a "plus delivery"? The 2k mentioned was just a wild guess. Kind of like $250 bottles of tequila. Doubt it makes the clothes come off any better than a $50 bottle. Or $25 one for that matter! Looks nice though!

Martin Harford

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
So then the $39,900 etc is a "delivered" price, not a "plus delivery"? The 2k mentioned was just a wild guess. Kind of like $250 bottles of tequila. Doubt it makes the clothes come off any better than a $50 bottle. Or $25 one for that matter! Looks nice though!
I don't find myself borrowing to pay for cruises and port fees though! Try not to borrow for vehicles either.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I don't find myself borrowing to pay for cruises and port fees though! Try not to borrow for vehicles either.
I was taught by my parents to never borrow money to pay for something where the purchased item/service would be gone before the borrowed money would be paid back.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I've seen this question raised but not in a thread. If I overlooked it I'm sorry, but are we going to be permitted to take delivery of our CT's in Austin and avoid a delivery fee? I tweeted this question to Elon but haven't seen a response yet. If not, why not? Seems perfectly reasonable to me and easier for Tesla than carting CT's all over the countryside.
Have you heard back?

I'm going to guess that this is theoretically possible as Tesla can register a VIN at the DMV electronically, why not another state, i.e. your home state.

(I choose California for the example because that's my home state)
That being said, I'm sure there's a bunch of little things that I think would require the heft of Elon to make it so. For example, the transaction would occur in Texas. Does Texas have a rule about registering a purchase in Texas? If I was Texas, I'd make the rule that says you have to pay Texas fees to pickup a car in Texas. Does California require that new vehicles change hands in the California if its registered in California? These seem like silly rules, but if you multiply it by 50 possible they'll be something weird somewhere. What about tax advantages from the state? I'm guessing that it's a giant thicket of legal and financial issues not worth cutting through.

Btw, there was a bill to enable this in California at the Fremont factory in 2016. That would suggest that legislation is required to make it OK to occur. The State representative who represented Fremont was hoping to encourage this exact kind of thing. It did not pass.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
California doesn't require registration here, but the sale is usually said to be where the customer picks it up. The hard part comes in catching multiple-address scofflaws.

But yes, it's possible.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
California doesn't require registration here, but the sale is usually said to be where the customer picks it up. The hard part comes in catching multiple-address scofflaws.

But yes, it's possible.

-Crissa
that is true.......but when you register in California, you will pay sales tax unless they subtract what you paid in Texas......you still pay registration and license fees.....

this applies only if you buy it and bring it back to California.......if you register in Texas, keep registered there for 6 months, then register in California, I believe there is a reduction in sales tax.......californicate will get your money one way or the other

I just got my new registration....$975......up from the $826 I paid last jan when I bought it.....I understand they added a road gas tax to the electric vehicle for road usage equal to 12,000 miles.....problem is, I only have 7600 miles and 30 days til the date I got it......my wifes model 3 had the same increase and she only put 6500 the first year and only has 10,050 after 17 months....so I guess we will just have to drive more and use more asphalt and concrete just to break even

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, there's some discussion on whether that new fee will chill EV sales among low-mileage vehicles like motorcycles.

-Crissa

Martin Harford

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Have you heard back?

I'm going to guess that this is theoretically possible as Tesla can register a VIN at the DMV electronically, why not another state, i.e. your home state.

(I choose California for the example because that's my home state)
That being said, I'm sure there's a bunch of little things that I think would require the heft of Elon to make it so. For example, the transaction would occur in Texas. Does Texas have a rule about registering a purchase in Texas? If I was Texas, I'd make the rule that says you have to pay Texas fees to pickup a car in Texas. Does California require that new vehicles change hands in the California if its registered in California? These seem like silly rules, but if you multiply it by 50 possible they'll be something weird somewhere. What about tax advantages from the state? I'm guessing that it's a giant thicket of legal and financial issues not worth cutting through.

Btw, there was a bill to enable this in California at the Fremont factory in 2016. That would suggest that legislation is required to make it OK to occur. The State representative who represented Fremont was hoping to encourage this exact kind of thing. It did not pass.
I don't know about Texas, but people here in Arkansas buy new vehicles in Oklahoma all the time and drive them here with dealer issued temporary tags and then register them normally. No big deal. I'm sure Elon can figure that out. A vehicle on a car carrier traverses the road and uses it just the same when delivered as a driven one when you figure the weight on the asphalt, does it not? Would you rather get hit by a CT on the highway or a car transporter carrying a load of CTs?

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I don't know about Texas, but people here in Arkansas buy new vehicles in Oklahoma all the time and drive them here with dealer issued temporary tags and then register them normally. No big deal. I'm sure Elon can figure that out. A vehicle on a car carrier traverses the road and uses it just the same when delivered as a driven one when you figure the weight on the asphalt, does it not? Would you rather get hit by a CT on the highway or a car transporter carrying a load of CTs?
I've got to imagine the dealership registers it in Oklahoma and then the buyer can do whatever they want with it. Just like the OP, I would go to Austin, pay Texas fees, then (re)register in my home state so yeah, I think we all agree that it can be done just if Tesla is willing to do it.

For earlier purchases, California offered an EV rebate, I don't know if the devil in the details would allow buying in one and claiming in another. I'm guessing no but just guessing. Today, no EV rebate anymore so If go to Texas and drive home.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
that is true.......but when you register in California, you will pay sales tax unless they subtract what you paid in Texas......you still pay registration and license fees.....

this applies only if you buy it and bring it back to California.......if you register in Texas, keep registered there for 6 months, then register in California, I believe there is a reduction in sales tax.......californicate will get your money one way or the other

I just got my new registration....$975......up from the $826 I paid last jan when I bought it.....I understand they added a road gas tax to the electric vehicle for road usage equal to 12,000 miles.....problem is, I only have 7600 miles and 30 days til the date I got it......my wifes model 3 had the same increase and she only put 6500 the first year and only has 10,050 after 17 months....so I guess we will just have to drive more and use more asphalt and concrete just to break even
That's something that's up my wheelhouse but I don't want to deal the thread and taking about taxes and what's fair can usually results in a couple of blown gaskets.

Feel free to DM me or start a new thread if you're really adventurous and I'll reply.
Sponsored