Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Put a screen on the pillars to show me the side view camera perspectives and I'll be happy. Give me no mirrors but make me look at the center console monitor and I won't be happy. Then you are looking opposite where you are turning half the time. Counter intuitive.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Put a screen on the pillars to show me the side view camera perspectives and I'll be happy. Give me no mirrors but make me look at the center console monitor and I won't be happy. Then you are looking opposite where you are turning half the time. Counter intuitive.
You still need to look over your shoulder. But you're not going off in the direction of the A-pillar, so why put it there?

You'll get used to it. ^-^

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
  1. A camera costs about $50. The head display varies.
  2. So... don't leave it there?
  3. So... use a different display configuration?
  4. Why is a tiny camera harder to screw onto a truck or trailer than a mirror?

Honestly, it seems like you have preconceptions and you're unwilling to go past them.

-Crissa
Sounds 100% like your one of those drivers that doesn't use your mirrors at all.

Obviously useless fighting your preconceptions then, and the faster we get past you and put you far away in our rearveiw mirror the better!

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Took a hiatus… returned… still discussing side mirrors while drawing lines in the sand.

No mirrors, no glass, external cameras, every line of sight surface a video image.

BAW up if you agree

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
So, Im currently looking for my first EV since CT seems a way off. Recent trend with competitor pricing/Economy also leads me to believe I wont be able to afford one :).

That said I began my search for a new small ev and one thing has popped out at me - Camera rear view. I remember the discussions saying they wont get past regs and now we have those big mirrors on the CT prototype. It would seem that the big brands got them through regs with no issue and its becoming the norm.

I am hoping they revert back to the camera views to clean up the CT look again.

Thoughts on mirrors?
I thought mirrors were fine, and certainly necessary, until reveal night, when I saw Cybertruck for the first time. Since then, mirrors are useless accoutrements from a long ago bygone era. Screw a buncha mirrors.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Like any other pickup truck out there, there are two types of owners. One that really hauls a trailer around and the other kind of that will never haul more than a case of beer. I’m the latter type and have no use for a gigantic mirror. It would be best to engineer the truck to accommodate both types of mirrors depending on how the truck is being used.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The CT is already wide. I'm hoping the standard mirror will extend enough for legal caravan towing.

The is no middle man. Mass produced by Tesla, the cost overall would be minimal and suit 99% of applications (a guess).

I would be needing an extended mirror to comply with the law. Thats all.

Bluetooth cameras can create birds eye view. You can get a 360 degree view under any condition. Whether highway driving, reversing, swinging around.. at a glance.

A short learning curve is all that's needed. And you never go back.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Biggest problem I have with cameras and displays, instead of mirrors, is that normal displays are two close to the driver. What happens is that when you look out onto the road outside and then back to standard side mirrors, your eyes barely have to refocus, because both the front and rear view through the mirrors are at the same focal depth. However, when you go from outside to an inside display you need to refocus your eyes onto the display, and then back again to look outside. So ideally, like on a HUD, there would be a lens system to allow you to look at the review displays without refocusing your eyes, whish would reduce reaction times and eye strain.

Failing that I'd actually prefer mirrors, although smaller ones would do too from a "rear view" functionality perspective. But for efficiency no mirrors is better, and also easier to incorporate low light enhancement or to dim them for headlights. Let alone add active warnings for lane departure, or lane occupancy etc or any other driver assistance feature.

Interestingly, rear view mirrors were apparently invented because the race spotter in old Indy car racers used to ride shotgun in the car and call out positions of other vehicles in the race to the driver. One day one of the spotters was crook and couldn't participate in the race, so they installed a mirror instead.
I had previously thought that the mirror issue was just slow bureaucracy. Now I see some real issues remain. I just wish that regulators could create a clear path to mirror removal. The regulators have done a poor job defining the remaining problems. I suppose the nerdy introvert might not be equipped with PR skills.

I suspect level 2-3 autonomy that will not allow change lanes when another vehicle is there is what is required. This would need to be backed by data. (reduction of side swipes) Elon/Tesla really hasn't bashed the regulators too much. I think they realize there are legitimate improvements that need to happen.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Biggest problem I have with cameras and displays, instead of mirrors, is that normal displays are two close to the driver. What happens is that when you look out onto the road outside and then back to standard side mirrors, your eyes barely have to refocus, because both the front and rear view through the mirrors are at the same focal depth. However, when you go from outside to an inside display you need to refocus your eyes onto the display, and then back again to look outside. So ideally, like on a HUD, there would be a lens system to allow you to look at the review displays without refocusing your eyes, whish would reduce reaction times and eye strain.

Failing that I'd actually prefer mirrors, although smaller ones would do too from a "rear view" functionality perspective. But for efficiency no mirrors is better, and also easier to incorporate low light enhancement or to dim them for headlights. Let alone add active warnings for lane departure, or lane occupancy etc or any other driver assistance feature.

Interestingly, rear view mirrors were apparently invented because the race spotter in old Indy car racers used to ride shotgun in the car and call out positions of other vehicles in the race to the driver. One day one of the spotters was crook and couldn't participate in the race, so they installed a mirror instead.
Tesla is putting side mirrors on the truck, so anyone that wants to keep them can. I am used to side mirrors and all that entails, but if given a choice, and if it isn't a big spdeal to remove them, I might take them off in some cases.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The CT is already wide. I'm hoping the standard mirror will extend enough for legal caravan towing.

The is no middle man. Mass produced by Tesla, the cost overall would be minimal and suit 99% of applications (a guess).

I would be needing an extended mirror to comply with the law. Thats all.

Bluetooth cameras can create birds eye view. You can get a 360 degree view under any condition. Whether highway driving, reversing, swinging around.. at a glance.

A short learning curve is all that's needed. And you never go back.
A birds eye view could be great.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Like any other pickup truck out there, there are two types of owners. One that really hauls a trailer around and the other kind of that will never haul more than a case of beer. I’m the latter type and have no use for a gigantic mirror. It would be best to engineer the truck to accommodate both types of mirrors depending on how the truck is being used.
As with everything there are not just 2 extremes. Most of the time I am not pulling a trailer but sometimes I do. When I do I at least need a birds eye view that can see around the truck and trailer. Mirrors are good too. They are also good for normal driving but I could go either way.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
A birds eye view could be great.
Birds eye view with persistent vision, so you can see stuff still when you drive over it. Ideal for off-road.

Just won't be Bluetooth, bandwidth is to low for decent video.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As with everything there are not just 2 extremes. Most of the time I am not pulling a trailer but sometimes I do. When I do I at least need a birds eye view that can see around the truck and trailer. Mirrors are good too. They are also good for normal driving but I could go either way.
😊Thank you for keeping us safe. We need more responsible drivers like you behind the wheel.
Sponsored