Poll: Does the No-Resale Policy Affect Your Purchase Intention?

Does Tesla's (alleged) no resale policy change your intent to purchase a CyberTruck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Again, to me, Tesla should restrict the number of reservations an account/business can convert in the first year and remove the provision. Any accounts with more than 2 reservations will have to wait on the 3rd, 4th, etc. I think that’s more of a deterrent to big flippers that reserved, say, 50 on one account. They can’t even take delivery, they can’t build profit centers off their fleet during the restriction period, and they can’t realize profits when the restriction year is up.

This is not like someone else suggested where a housing development/condo restricts sales of the new builds within their development or building. These are all individual products purchased legitimately spread across the country only linked by their appearance.
I agree that this restriction (that appears to no longer be there) isn't the best way to deal with it. Maybe it exists only for "Founders Edition" or the "Employee Edition" versions, or only for the first year sales. Who knows. I think possibly restricting sales to single delivery helps, and as @cvalue13 pointed out, everything they need is in the pre-order agreement. I personally don't want to see Tesla become Nike, on so many levels!

So if Tesla were to limit sales to single CT/Single Acct until production ramped or the line gets sufficiently satisfied, what are the pros/cons there? Do small business hold off until they can buy 2 or 3 at once? Do they cancel and go elsewhere? Thoughts?
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Maybe it exists only for "Founders Edition" or the "Employee Edition" versions,
This is an excellent thought

and, now more analogous to say GT3s, etc., deals in very limited number one-offs

if, hypothetically, the first thousand units sold are uniquely configured, with unique badging, etc. - and if to receive one of those first 1,000 unique units Tesla hand selected and made bespoke extensions of an un-public purchase option - then that would be a VERY different circumstance.

this potential explanation didn’t come to mind only because the contract language was so general, and within the basic and publicly available form. But now that it’s been bizarrely yanked from the site, it opens up all sorts of bizarre possibilities.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
With only a 125,000 production capacity that means 85% of orders will still be waiting in a year.
125 capacity doesn’t equate to annual production (because of the ramp)

in the first year of building a new vehicle, Tesla’s never managed more than 36,000 units total. And the CT isn’t exactly a rinse and repeat.

best case, back of napkin, 75k units delivered in 2024

which means in 2025, worst case, 75K lightly used CT’s available to market to the 925,000,000 buyers facing still multiple year waits

alcstarheel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few
Country flag
Maybe it exists only for "Founders Edition" or the "Employee Edition" versions
That would make sense especially now it appears the provision is gone.

I personally don't want to see Tesla become Nike, on so many levels!
As a huge Nike fan myself I 100% agree with you.

So if Tesla were to limit sales to single CT/Single Acct until production ramped or the line gets sufficiently satisfied, what are the pros/cons there? Do small business hold off until they can buy 2 or 3 at once? Do they cancel and go elsewhere? Thoughts?
I don't think small businesses cancel and I don't think they go elsewhere because if they could build a small or more size fleet of EV pickups they would already be doing it with Ford/Rivian. But those price points for a small business are likely too high and said small business probably doesn't qualify for the Lightning fleet option (I'm guessing there's a minimum purchase >= 10 to qualify).

Some flippers may cancel most of their orders but I bet they begrudgingly hold on to at least a few of them.

125 capacity doesn’t equate to annual production (because of the ramp)
best case, back of napkin, 75k units delivered in 2024
Yes definitely. 125K is the absolute best case scenario.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
This is an excellent thought

and, now more analogous to say GT3s, etc., deals in very limited number one-offs

if, hypothetically, the first thousand units sold are uniquely configured, with unique badging, etc. - and if to receive one of those first 1,000 unique units Tesla hand selected and made bespoke extensions of an un-public purchase option - then that would be a VERY different circumstance.

this potential explanation didn’t come to mind only because the contract language was so general, and within the basic and publicly available form. But now that it’s been bizarrely yanked from the site, it opens up all sorts of bizarre possibilities.
As I said, it was either an old contract, it was dated July 2022, or someone higher up saw it, thought na and yanked it.

More of a web glitch than a formal release? Or maybe a way to test public opinion on such a Claude?

Isn't this how conspiracies theories are born? To many smart, but very inventive people making up rubbish? Lol dunno. I just know I'm glad it's gone so I can use some brain cycles for something else!

Back to battery pack predictions for me!

Longranger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For what it is worth I think the resale policy is a bad idea. If the CT is half as good as we all hope it will be most people who have waited several years for their truck will keep them. Why punish the majority of reservation holders by making resale difficult. The only reason most of us will sell them during the first year is because the CT SUCKS (god forbid), or a financial emergency. The answer is ugly. The big corporation will punish their best customers to control a small number of flippers.
Sponsored