Poll: Does the No-Resale Policy Affect Your Purchase Intention?

Does Tesla's (alleged) no resale policy change your intent to purchase a CyberTruck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
I am glad that this might be a thing. Scalpers are the scum of the earth. Anyone that says tesla "failed to price the product properly" should never share their shit opinions on anything ever again.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
He blocked you too? Everyone blocks you.

I'm sure I'm blocked by people too though lol
nah - he hasn’t blocked me

he just deletes his own prediction tweets when the predictions turn out incorrect

history will reflect a perfect record!

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
nah - he hasn’t blocked me

he just deletes his own prediction tweets when the predictions turn out incorrect

history will reflect a perfect record!
Oh lol okay

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Anyone that says tesla "failed to price the product properly" should never share their shit opinions on anything ever again.
this issue, if anything, isn’t that Tesla failed to price it correctly (though raising the price would have the effect of deterring, it would be counter-productive)

the issue, instead, that this provision portends is that Tesla knows it won’t anytime soon be producing enough Cybertrucks to quell the secondary market

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Tesla's exception to the resale prohibition quiets any concern I had. My CyberTruck is being bought as an early adopter trying to make Full Time Electric RVing a possibility. When I first heard the rumor about a resale restriction I got worried. Although I was willing to put up with small hassles from limited charging stations in the mid-2020s for someone towing a travel trailer to out of the way, off the beaten path, camping sites in western states, I'm not 100% certain it'll work. I was content that if it didn't work out, even in the first year, there would be plenty of anxious buyers that a quick, necessary flip, wouldn't punish me with severe depreciation if I needed to resort to an ICE tow vehicle to continue my retirement.

The terms and conditions wording have me confident that if a CyberTruck doesn't work for my purposes, my explanation would qualify for Tesla's exception. The $0.25/mile depreciation seems high to me 🤨 but if the truck is so unsuitable for my purposes, it'll be because I was unable to put many miles on it anyway. 🤷🏽

I'm down as a 'buying but don't like' vote because I'd rather not have to jump thru these hoops if I need to sell.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The option I need for this poll is not available.
My answer is; The no resale policy make no difference to me and I don't know if I'm buying because I don't know the price or range yet.
That's a great point. If it's priced too high, then nothing else matters. If it doesn't have better range than an X and Y then it is a bit of a let down. You can't go out in the deep wilderness for days with it if the range makes that sketchy.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Re: the 25¢ per mile depreciation. This is Tesla admitting that the CyberTruck will have lost all* its value in about 350,000 miles. 🤔

*at $80k - 320,000 miles
at $90k - 360,000 miles 😬

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Re: the 25¢ per mile depreciation. This is Tesla admitting that the CyberTruck will have lost all* it's value in about 350,000 miles. 🤔

*at $80k - 320,000 miles
at $90k - 360,000 miles 😬
yes, Tesla specified the milage deduction

but don't overlook, in additional to milage, the two categories of free-for-all deductions they have:

"reasonable wear and tear, and the cost to repair the Vehicle to Tesla’s Used Vehicle Cosmetic and Mechanical Standards"​

Which means the repurchase price will be milage plus:

(1) for any wear and tear that can be repaired by Tesla, whatever Tesla is going to charge for those repairs (note they fail to specify what cost basis will be used here), plus
(2) for any wear and tear that cannot be repaired by Tesla, that Tesla deems "unreasonable" in its sole discretion, some additional/unknown purchase price reduction​

Even if you keep your vehicle, in your view, "pristine" - don't confuse that with Tesla believing it's pristine.

The end result here is that Tesla can give whatever purchase price they choose, throttled only by their self-interest in not creating PR issues.

Problem being, the enforcement of this provision at all demonstrates a rather low view of Tesla's worries about PR issues.
Sponsored