Possible explanations of the low tow rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLux

First Name
Balazs
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mycybertruck.rent
Vehicles
CT 2024 AWD FE, MXP 2019, Jaguar XK Conv. 2007
Country flag
11k lbs is relative low compared to the gasoline trucks that it suppsosed to be competing with. Given the impressive towing demo, how is it possible that the official towing capacity number is so low? An F-350 Diesel can tow 18k-30k (per Ford). Any ideas?
Sponsored

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The F350 Diesel is a larger class truck than the Cybertruck was meant to compete with for towing, even though the Cybertruck still beat it easily in the sled pull.

Cybertruck's max payload is 2,500 lbs which is over a full ton and way more than 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton.

The F150 Lightning is rated at 10,000 lbs also, but some have noted efficiency problems with the F150 Lightning when towing.

Time will tell but the Cybertruck performance in the sled pull compared to others, indicates to me that the 11,000 lbs tow rating for the Cybertruck might be a little conservative. However I trust Tesla's 11,000 tow rating more than I'd trust any legacy auto maker's 14,000 lb tow rating at this point.

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Time will tell on the heat and power under sustained load. The full 850 HP is not needed for the sustained amounts of time, but only in brief acceleration instances, so talking about only a few minutes until battery depletion is not relevant. A gas or diesel truck running max HP on a dynamo constantly would last only a fraction of it's rated mileage as well (if the engine didn't overheat first).

We have to remember the Semi does pretty well at towing max gross trailers up a mountain, so I believe Tesla would have designed in some heat management in the Cybertruck for towing heavy loads as well. They've already proven their experience with this with Semis on Donnor Pass. But again time will tell.

And since when is the Cybertruck only being compared to the F350 Diesel all of a sudden? as aren't there a whole lot more F150s and F250s on the road than the heavier F-Series??

Interesting point on the ton nomenclature. Source?

- ÆCIII

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Your "personal knowledge" for months or decades, is still not a source. You had to have got those numbers from somewhere and not out of thin air. I'm not disputing as I'm genuinely interested which is why I requested a source.

Hauling a fully loaded 80,000 lb gross weight trailer up Donnor pass at 20mph faster than diesel semis is not a 'stunt', but actually a new reality some try to label instead of accepting. Tesla Semis have much more robust stopping power too even with heavy loads, due to their regenerative braking from the motors. They also have power and braking to each wheel individually controlled specifically to assure the Tesla Semi won't 'Jack-Knife' (since you mentioned it).

- ÆCIII

Trekboy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Cybertruck
Country flag
I was toying with the idea of using a weight distribution hitch for an RV...just for added safety. Do you think Cybertruck will accommodate this? I hadn't thought about frame attachment points.

BTW, I did see somewhere in the UI an electric brake controller:)

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The reference to the Semi was to emphasize Tesla has proven experience with heat dissipation and management when towing heavy loads, which I don't doubt is also incorporated into the Cybertruck design also.

So my point in that reference was we might better wait until some proven towing instances before assuming that the Cybertruck would overheat towing uphill or anything. Tesla engineers weren't born yesterday and I'm sure they did their 'homework' on towing. That's why I wrote 'Time will tell.'

- ÆCIII

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Here's Towing & Hauling Screen Shot - so integrated Trailer Break Controller and light test and who knows what else - but sure it will evolve over time.
Would like add on trailer camera, some sort of hookup mode with rear camera, trailer profiles / scale (eg weight, etc)

I have a 8950 lb Hitch Pull Toy Hauler that I use a Weight Dist Hitch with....CT Beast won't pull at max weight (13k) but I'll be testing to 11k and 1100lb lounge weight!
Tesla Cybertruck Possible explanations of the low tow rating? 1701630365312
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.