First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
I’ll find out next week what else is necessary
Thank you. Please let us know the requirements. I am a generator noob, so I have no idea what is needed to support a generator or the power share.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I hope this is no different than the universal wall connector Tesla brought out a month or so ago because I got one and don't feel like getting another one. Not that I need power sharing to the house (I have a whole home generator) but I don't like to waste money and I like to be prepared. The power sharing capability would be just one more way to be prepared just in case.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Do you know what is the wire AWG and the breaker's max current in your home electrical panel?
I wonder if my AWG 6 and 50 Amp would be enough
If power sharing is using the 240 volt outlet in the bed then yes because it is limited to 40-50 amps.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Anyone know if we can use our referral credits on this? But definitely getting one to replace the Wall connector I have now. Question is, do we need to do anything on the homeowners end to accept the power share? Like you need to do something for generators?
That really depends on your house setup more than anything else.

There are a couple of options to make the power sharing/V2H work, details are not really well known, but technically the universal charger could handle most of the switching internally, but it would also have to control a grid islanding switch to disconnect the house from the power network to avoid feeding back into the grid, and risking electrocuting a lineman.

There's no reason that they would need a powerwall as a part of the setup, but they might want you to buy one anyway... from how I read the options on the power share page, I think the Powerwall is optional, the charger not so much, if you want automatic charge/discharge switching.

The CT can also be connected to the house without the Universal charger as well, by using the 240V outlet in the bed. The requirement here is the same, in that you would have to connect it to the house via a generator input switch, that would in turn off the grid supply as well for safety.

The difference there is that it won't be able to automatically switch between charging and discharging, and will have a little bit less power output 9,5kW rather than 11kW through the charge connector plug.

Either way I'm glad that CT finally added the V2X functionality, but I don't think they really had a choice given that they included a high power 120/240V inverter to power tools etc anyway. It's just a different way to connect that same hardware using the charge connector.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
If power sharing is using the 240 volt outlet in the bed then yes because it is limited to 40-50 amps.
I think they do count that as power sharing but the one with the charger would just come from the charge port right?

I hope this is no different than the universal wall connector Tesla brought out a month or so ago because I got one and don't feel like getting another one. Not that I need power sharing to the house (I have a whole home generator) but I don't like to waste money and I like to be prepared. The power sharing capability would be just one more way to be prepared just in case.
I hope it is the same for you! I was not about to get one until I knew for sure.

But now I am gonna hold out a little longer. Trying my darndiddlyarndest to pay off my Y brfore my number comes up for the truck

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Where is the option for a SS colored front cover? :devilish:

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
How does this connector hook into the house? As in, doesn’t there need to be extra installation (transfer switch type stuff) to send and power a house? I have the latest connector (non universal) hooked into the panel. That doesn’t work obviously for bidirectional.. how does this new one set up? Any smart electricians out there?

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
Do you know what is the wire AWG and the breaker's max current in your home electrical panel?
I wonder if my AWG 6 and 50 Amp would be enough
200amp and yes 50amp is enough for the UWC :geek:

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
How does this connector hook into the house? As in, doesn’t there need to be extra installation (transfer switch type stuff) to send and power a house? I have the latest connector (non universal) hooked into the panel. That doesn’t work obviously for bidirectional.. how does this new one set up? Any smart electricians out there?
I guess even if the charger is bidirectional, there must be a gate at electrical panel that disconnects the grid when CT is powering a house. Otherwise it would power entire grid and discharge fast.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Chk out my post a few further up.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I guess even if the charger is bidirectional, there must be a gate at electrical panel that disconnects the greed when CT is powering a house. Otherwise it would power entire greed an discharge fast.
The only greed going on is the Tesla price hike!! ;);)

But you are correct. Also see above post.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
200amp and yes 50amp is enough for the UWC :geek:
Thank you. 200 amp is the house supply current through the main breaker.
But I am asking about the cable from the electrical panel to the charger

RadoRage

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future CyberTruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
Does anyone have a good breakdown of maximum charging capability when compared to other charger setups? I'm currently running a ChargePoint Flex home charger on a 60 amp connection, and trying to see if this would provide any higher charge rate.
Sponsored