Pull-through Supercharger, and leaving home without a safety net (charge cord)

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Drove from Peoria AZ (NW Phoenix) to Hacienda Heights yesterday, starting with 97% charge. I don't have a cord to charge at my destination, so making it work with only SC. I looked at both ABRP and the Tesla built in route, and of course, Tesla was not optimal. ABRP had a couple of slightly similar options. I chose to push more miles so that I could end my trip with more power. I stopped in Ehrenberg first, a place I'd stopped before. This is a small SC with probably 8-10 spaces. When I arrived only one was open. Busy day. I got 185kW, not the full 250, but not bad at all. I ended my charge long before the Tesla planner wanted to; it was going to have me stay a while in slow charge (under 90). So very stupid. I feel bad for people who think this thing is making the best choices. Tesla shoots for least stops, but more time wasted. ABRP shoots for shortest trip, maybe more stops.

My next stop was Morongo, arriving with about 12%. It showed a 9 minute charge, but I gave it closer to 15. This is where I spotted these for the CT with a trailer...

Tesla Cybertruck Pull-through Supercharger, and leaving home without a safety net (charge cord) 1645810106899

They also have a LOT of regular spots. Place was mostly empty, not sure why. Maybe because it's brand new? They have amenities!!! Trash cans, an ice machine (it's the middle of the desert), and nearby there are restaurants and a HUGE really nice convenience store.

I got to Hacienda Heights CA with 107 miles remaining (out of my current 285 mile battery capacity).

Today we have some errands to do, and we may hit a SC at the Brea mall, have lunch while topping off, or one of the others in the area. All of them seem to have convenient food and shopping nearby. Going to try to find one by an authentic Chinese place if possible, maybe off 60.

Road trips are not challenging with EVs.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Drove from Peoria AZ (NW Phoenix) to Hacienda Heights yesterday, starting with 97% charge. I don't have a cord to charge at my destination, so making it work with only SC. I looked at both ABRP and the Tesla built in route, and of course, Tesla was not optimal. ABRP had a couple of slightly similar options. I chose to push more miles so that I could end my trip with more power. I stopped in Ehrenberg first, a place I'd stopped before. This is a small SC with probably 8-10 spaces. When I arrived only one was open. Busy day. I got 185kW, not the full 250, but not bad at all. I ended my charge long before the Tesla planner wanted to; it was going to have me stay a while in slow charge (under 90). So very stupid. I feel bad for people who think this thing is making the best choices. Tesla shoots for least stops, but more time wasted. ABRP shoots for shortest trip, maybe more stops.
Tesla also tends to want to stop early. I’ve had it plan stops at 25-30% charge when there are other chargers further along which would put more of my charging time in the faster part of the curve. The first few trips I did I more-or-less relied on their math, but now I pay a lot more attention and try to optimize better. Sometimes I just put in the next charger

It’s good to see those giant spaces, hopefully they will start getting more common, too many of them are difficult or impossible to get with trailers.

Mostly. There are still some places where it’s a pain.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

My next stop was Morongo, arriving with about 12%. It showed a 9 minute charge, but I gave it closer to 15. This is where I spotted these for the CT with a trailer...

1645810106899.jpeg

They also have a LOT of regular spots. Place was mostly empty, not sure why. Maybe because it's brand new? They have amenities!!! Trash cans, an ice machine (it's the middle of the desert), and nearby there are restaurants and a HUGE really nice convenience store.

I got to Hacienda Heights CA with 107 miles remaining (out of my current 285 mile battery capacity).

Today we have some errands to do, and we may hit a SC at the Brea mall, have lunch while topping off, or one of the others in the area. All of them seem to have convenient food and shopping nearby. Going to try to find one by an authentic Chinese place if possible, maybe off 60.

Cabazon is the prime location for pull throughs like this. All the weekend warriors headed to the desert/and back with the Toy haulers, are going to use these pull through chargers. It makes for an interesting conundrum. What's going to happen, when folks with trailers drive up to see charger spaces filled up with Tesla's without a trailer?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Cabazon is the prime location for pull throughs like this. All the weekend warriors headed to the desert/and back with the Toy haulers, are going to use these pull through chargers. It makes for an interesting conundrum. What's going to happen, when folks with trailers drive up to see charger spaces filled up with Tesla's without a trailer?
If the place is full, I think it’s fair game. If there are a bunch of empties, people shouldn’t use them or move if someone shows up with one. It’s a jerk move to block someone’s only option when you have many.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I consider there must be a reason why Tesla takes the safe route. My guess :

As a Contingency, should all options be closed down when you get there. Tesla prefers you have extra juice to find an alternative charger.

It would be a PR disaster if we had a constant trickle of bad reports... because people will report and blame Tesla, whereas ABRP is 'only doing its job'.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Isn't there a (hidden) setting in the Tesla to lower the safety margin at the bottom?

-Crissa
No, there's no setting in the Tesla to change. A Better Route Planner is what you will want to use if you want very detailed settings for planning a route.

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
What's going to happen, when folks with trailers drive up to see charger spaces filled up with Tesla's without a trailer?
They will go inside and ask security to fix it. That's what a dude did right as I arrived, when a small ICE car was blocking the pull through he needed for his motorhome with a trailer. Also there are probably 30 stalls for normal cars to charge. It's an odd place where there are chargers littered around the lot, not just all in a row. Great stopping point all around.

I charged in Diamond Bar yesterday. The charger is next to a bunch of decent Asian restaurants and grocery (so now I also have a bunch of weird spicy stuff for another meal). It ran for probably 50 minutes while we ate, going from 15% to 100%. Having no regen braking SUCKS. I hate having to use the brake. This SC is behind the shopping center which is slightly off. 13 of 24 stalls were occupied. Nobody was in their cars, they were shopping, which is highly unusual in my experience.

Also during the trip unfortunately my sister in law got to sell her Prius to some idiot's insurance company. Another driver thought she'd beat a yellow and did a turn into her path. It's an old car, but she absolutely loved it. Rare full-spec Prius with leather seats. Too damaged to fix, but, they might go full electric now, not sure.

Tesla Cybertruck Pull-through Supercharger, and leaving home without a safety net (charge cord) 1645892117473

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
They will go inside and ask security to fix it. That's what a dude did right as I arrived, when a small ICE car was blocking the pull through he needed for his motorhome with a trailer. Also there are probably 30 stalls for normal cars to charge. It's an odd place where there are chargers littered around the lot, not just all in a row. Great stopping point all around.

I charged in Diamond Bar yesterday. The charger is next to a bunch of decent Asian restaurants and grocery (so now I also have a bunch of weird spicy stuff for another meal). It ran for probably 50 minutes while we ate, going from 15% to 100%. Having no regen braking SUCKS. I hate having to use the brake. This SC is behind the shopping center which is slightly off. 13 of 24 stalls were occupied. Nobody was in their cars, they were shopping, which is highly unusual in my experience.

Also during the trip unfortunately my sister in law got to sell her Prius to some idiot's insurance company. Another driver thought she'd beat a yellow and did a turn into her path. It's an old car, but she absolutely loved it. Rare full-spec Prius with leather seats. Too damaged to fix, but, they might go full electric now, not sure.

1645892117473.jpeg
1st and foremost, I hope she's not in any pain. It looks like her part of the car is still intact. Racing through yellow lights has become something I try to avoid. While training my 18 year old this year I really worked with him on that. When that light turns yellow IF you can stop, go ahead and stop. If you have to punch it to make the light, it's way better to just back off and stop. Then you're first in line at the green light, (always fun on my motorcycle). ;)

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
The light changed to yellow while she was entering the intersection and the other person turned immediately with no chance to react.

Does anyone know if it’s possible for a non-Californian to get the California HOV lane stickers? In Arizona we just automatically have HOV with our electric plates.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Does anyone know if it’s possible for a non-Californian to get the California HOV lane stickers? In Arizona we just automatically have HOV with our electric plates.
I don't think so. There is a limited number of them each year. You can get the FasTrak transponders. They use different ones for each CalTrans region, tho.

-Crissa

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Bastards. I wonder if I'd really get boned if I used it without the sticker. Everyone knows that Tesla is HOV okay! LOL

I spent hours today just doing errands in the LA area. WTF is with bumper to bumper traffic on a Saturday???

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
Tesla probably wants to suggest the best charging practices for battery degradation, and try to keep ppl between 40% to 70% for regular commutes. They should add a road trip mode toggle on maps for getting as far as possible, or better integrate abrp communication, since it's no skin off their back.

Seeing this I cannot wait wait wait for rivian adventure chargers to stoke adventure focused competition. Plenty of space on the pull-throughs for adding water refills and waste disposal down the line. Well maintained, updated on maps, and available for non-tesla memberships. Just wave your phone to unlock. ?
Sponsored