Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
In fact everything is full of something, at least some form of cosmic radiation, because nothing doesn't exist. If it did exist it would be something.
Nothing is the space between somethings and when it comes to particles there is always a little bit of something and a whole lot of nothing so nothing can ever be full of something.

You can tell I am glass mostly empty kinda guy.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Nothing is the space between somethings and when it comes to particles there is always a little bit of something and a whole lot of nothing so nothing can ever be full of something.
Hmmm. Does nothing exist? If nothing is the space time between then quantum leap would be impossible.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Prepare to be a billionaire when you get your CT

The statements that left an impression on me (not necessary new):

Manufacturing is very difficult. It takes thousands of elements to work correctly for mass production to happen and it will be as fast as the slowest one (paraphrase)

4680 will be million mile battery :) and it is not ready :( shooting for limiting chemistry variations

Cybertruck is new so we expect new challenges for it's manufacturing.

Conclusion: Once CT is out, it will be great however it is not wise to hold my breath for it. In other words it should go to the category of want items rather than need items. I should buy what I need now and reassess when my number comes up.
I have another 26K miles of full factory warranty left on my Golf R. That’s about 1.5 years of driving for me. I just want to get it before the warranty expires. ?? The spreadsheet suggested Sept 2022 for my delivery, so maybe I’ll make it even with delays.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
What calculator did you use? O-o

-Crissa
The one here on the forum. As in I just subtracted the number from my reservation number.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I have another 26K miles of full factory warranty left on my Golf R. That’s about 1.5 years of driving for me. I just want to get it before the warranty expires. ?? The spreadsheet suggested Sept 2022 for my delivery, so maybe I’ll make it even with delays.
Has the Golf R experience numerous issues that have needed warranty coverage? If not, I suggest you continue driving it until you do get your CT and not worry.

People act as if the day after he warranty expires their car will self-destruct. I’m driving a 2004Toyota. That warranty died years and years ago. The only work needed was basic maintenance. Some windshield wipers, tires and brakes are much cheaper than car payments.

If you have a reliable car now it will likely be reliable in 2023.

Frankly, if it wasn’t for Cybertruck I would be driving this car for another 10 years and then buy a used car from a worried seller such as yourself.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The only problem with your analogy is that would make it a science problem and not an engineering problem.
Oh, no, it's an engineering problem.

You get bubbles in pizza based on hw you roll out he pizza, and you can prevent them by pricking the dough before they fill with gas. Entirely a handling issue.

Basically, big cells require higher tolerances for clean room and machine care.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Has the Golf R experience numerous issues that have needed warranty coverage? If not, I suggest you continue driving it until you do get your CT and not worry.

People act as if the day after he warranty expires their car will self-destruct. I’m driving a 2004Toyota. That warranty died years and years ago. The only work needed was basic maintenance. Some windshield wipers, tires and brakes are much cheaper than car payments.

If you have a reliable car now it will likely be reliable in 2023.

Frankly, if it wasn’t for Cybertruck I would be driving this car for another 10 years and then buy a used car from a worried seller such as yourself.
The obsession with replacing cars the instant the warranty is up is apparently very common among ct reservation holders.. at least from all the commentary on here and social media.

Quite frankly, doing that is a waste of financial and material resources. The amount of money one spends over a year of new vehicle payments outweighs the same maintenance costs of a running used/paid off vehicle. But apparently the stress of unexpected big ticket repairs is too unbearable for most, which results in emotions overcoming logical savings over time.

What's it cost to maintain a high mileage vehicle? Not much. Full synthetic oil changes.. $60-90. Do it every 3k miles and your engine will love you forever. What's that maybe $675/yr if you drive 25k miles a year? And what's the extra $3-400/yr when your aggressive oil change schedule will prevent a real expensive breakdown?! Who cares the manufacturer tells you to do it less... They want you to break down and buy new every 5 years like a drug addict.

Ok add in the occasional big ticket items every few years. Perfect example.. my 250k mileage 2007 Ridgeline had to have rear main seal replaced this year. A $30 part that costs $900 in labor to fix because you gotta remove the whole transmission. Seems most people here would throw the truck away the second they heard that. Plus new axles rotors and brakes. Plus i opted to fix my ac that's been broken for 10 years cause I'm sick of summer heat in my truck. Overall spent $3000 in parts and labor this year. Last big ticket for the truck was 5 years ago i replaced the radiator and cat. So my yearly cost to maintain this out of warranty truck is about $966/year over the past 5 years. Sure, i spent nearly nothing for 4 years and then 90% of that this year, but still worked out to drastically less than a new vehicle with a conservative $300/mo payment that costs $3600/yr just to get a warranty. I'm saving 2700/yr while most are saving nothing but a vague concept of security.

Obsession with in warranty new vehicles is a waste of money that most are throwing money down the drain over some mythical piece of mind for.

I wasn't going to ever replace my Ridgeline and was hoping to get 500k miles out of it, but the reality is that hanging onto this thing to save on new vehicle costs is actually costing me money because of the terrible fuel economy as gas prices are only going up. So I'm upgrading simply for that straightforward reason that the upgrade will be cheaper in the long run than the occasional repair bill plus crappy fuel economy of the current vehicle.

Then again, doesn't seem Tesla attracts people concerned with logical fiscal responsibility. Seems most here have multiple reservations and multiple existing Tesla's like they are shopping at a dollar store for your kids 6th birthday party favors!

I guess if the warranty is worth that extra cost for you then it works! I'm a cheap f and the savings are what gives me the same piece of mind!

Last edited:

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
I agree vehicles typically go far beyond the warranty with minimal cost and effort most of the time. I also think that one reason some people like to stay under warranty is that it is very convenient for them logistically if something ever does go wrong and often times they wouldn’t know where to start if a serious issue arose. If a single mother is pulling into the theater with kids while under warranty and her tranny gives out on in parking lot she just hits the onstar button and let them know. They’ll send a tow truck, take to repair, and most cases deliver it home. If she didn’t have warranty, it would be a nightmare for her to even find a way to get the vehicle out of the parking lot on her own. It‘s worth it in some cases to stay under warranty but for folks like us not so much. We can save tons of cash just doing a little maintenance like you suggested. We understand how the vehicles work and can often times catch a potential problem before it becomes catastrophic whereas the single mother scenario may not see any signs of an impending issue and just keep driving until poof. Personally, I don’t really consider mileage or age as as indicators to buy a new truck. I usually keep driving until I start to have issues whether It’s at 80k miles or 180k miles. When issues start arising that could potentially leave me stranded, time for new.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dids, I will be talking mostly out of my aspiration and not scientific knowledge or background so don’t take any of it seriously.

Does nothing exist?
Yes and No. There are two nothings:

1 - The original nothing does not exist. It is a background without which “something” could not exist. Like the dark without which light makes no sense.

2 - Then there is the pseudo nothing we are discussing now. As soon as we try to conceptualize, discuss, write about the original nothing, we have created “something“ which is different from the original nothing and has multiple variations (letters, sounds, electrical and chemical stuff neurons deal with,…). This nothing is often used to indicate our ignorance. If there is something we don’t know about or can’t understand, we still could refer to it as nothing but sometimes it could be a reference to the original nothing.

If nothing is the space time between then quantum leap would be impossible.
OK, this is way over my head and I don’t feel like Googling so I will go to hyperdrive making up crap.

It sounds like the implication in your statement is that you need something (a medium) to go from A to B. It is difficult to get from A to B under the ocean, easier in the air at sea level and much easier in the upper atmosphere. It seems like the less of something and more of nothing you have the faster you can travel. If you have no something and all nothing between A and B, you should be able to make the leap instantaneously.

Assuming you do need something to leap, if I was bored and had to make space time out of something, I would make it like a fish net using tiny somethings with a lot of nothings in between. It saves a lot on something. You still could fold the fish net for a shortcut.

I think by now half the physicists reading this have shot themselves. To save the other half, I stop right here.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My Tundra has 120,000 miles and 17 years out of warrantee. Gonna be a bit of a challenge getting it replaced before the warrantee runs out. No worries though, it's not a physics problem, just an engineering one. Just need to fit gotta figure out how to get the truck in through the doorway and we're all set....

Tesla Cybertruck Q2 Earnings: Whats coming iu

Hunter71294

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500
Occupation
Construction Equipment Rental
Country flag
The obsession with replacing cars the instant the warranty is up is apparently very common among ct reservation holders.. at least from all the commentary on here and social media.

Quite frankly, doing that is a waste of financial and material resources. The amount of money one spends over a year of new vehicle payments outweighs the same maintenance costs of a running used/paid off vehicle. But apparently the stress of unexpected big ticket repairs is too unbearable for most, which results in emotions overcoming logical savings over time.

What's it cost to maintain a high mileage vehicle? Not much. Full synthetic oil changes.. $60-90. Do it every 3k miles and your engine will love you forever. What's that maybe $675/yr if you drive 25k miles a year? And what's the extra $3-400/yr when your aggressive oil change schedule will prevent a real expensive breakdown?! Who cares the manufacturer tells you to do it less... They want you to break down and buy new every 5 years like a drug addict.

Ok add in the occasional big ticket items every few years. Perfect example.. my 250k mileage 2007 Ridgeline had to have rear main seal replaced this year. A $30 part that costs $900 in labor to fix because you gotta remove the whole transmission. Seems most people here would throw the truck away the second they heard that. Plus new axles rotors and brakes. Plus i opted to fix my ac that's been broken for 10 years cause I'm sick of summer heat in my truck. Overall spent $3000 in parts and labor this year. Last big ticket for the truck was 5 years ago i replaced the radiator and cat. So my yearly cost to maintain this out of warranty truck is about $966/year over the past 5 years. Sure, i spent nearly nothing for 4 years and then 90% of that this year, but still worked out to drastically less than a new vehicle with a conservative $300/mo payment that costs $3600/yr just to get a warranty. I'm saving 2700/yr while most are saving nothing but a vague concept of security.

Obsession with in warranty new vehicles is a waste of money that most are throwing money down the drain over some mythical piece of mind for.

I wasn't going to ever replace my Ridgeline and was hoping to get 500k miles out of it, but the reality is that hanging onto this thing to save on new vehicle costs is actually costing me money because of the terrible fuel economy as gas prices are only going up. So I'm upgrading simply for that straightforward reason that the upgrade will be cheaper in the long run than the occasional repair bill plus crappy fuel economy of the current vehicle.

Then again, doesn't seem Tesla attracts people concerned with logical fiscal responsibility. Seems most here have multiple reservations and multiple existing Tesla's like they are shopping at a dollar store for your kids 6th birthday party favors!

I guess if the warranty is worth that extra cost for you then it works! I'm a cheap f and the savings are what gives me the same piece of mind!
I agree with you on most vehicles. It's best to buy slightly used and run them until the wheels fall off. I have a diesel truck and these new ones are very expensive to fix. DPF system, DEF system, fuel system, transmission, all of these components on HD trucks are a few grand up to 10 or more grand to fix. With the write-offs for business use, and warranty it makes sense to only keep them while under warranty for me. This was not the case when diesels were much simpler. I'm just hoping the tri-motor will be able to tow rating will get bumped to 16k+. The 20k rumor from the UI patents would be awesome. I'm just gonna keep my reservation until the tow ratings and reviews come out.

That's why I think big corporations are going to order all the Tesla Semis they can. Less parts/ sensors to break. Plus a huge savings in fuel. We're going to need to expand the grid though. Or more solar, which is not very cost effective on KY yet.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With small runs, they can make the 4680 work and it's reliable.
That would not make interesting youtube videos. Imagine a Cybertruck with unreliable 4680s. Now that can generate some serious views.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Oh, oh! I can answer this one.

Okay, when you make dough (or slurry or whatever) and then paint it onto a surface, you get bubbles. Now think of those bubbles, like in pizza, right?

Well, if you get a big bubble, it pushes all the sauce to one side. And whoever gets that piece is sad, because they didn't get sauce.

But what if you cut it into bigger pieces? And what if instead of sad, every big bubble caused all the pizza to burn down?

That's the problem they face. They need to make the pizza with fewer bubbles. It was okay if they had a bubble once in awhile with their 1/5th the size slices... They could just toss that slice on testing. But now that it's 5x bigger, well... That once-in-five slices they send bck to be re-sauced is once-in-every-slice problem.

-Crissa
Crap, now I want pizza.
Sponsored