Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Mr. Musk has been getting expert advice on how to make the batteries more quickly in low production until they get the full production bugs resolved.
8B306800-6DFF-4CCF-A611-3F29D7409028.jpeg
Where are the thighs of virgins?
Sponsored

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Has the Golf R experience numerous issues that have needed warranty coverage? If not, I suggest you continue driving it until you do get your CT and not worry.

People act as if the day after he warranty expires their car will self-destruct. Iā€™m driving a 2004Toyota. That warranty died years and years ago. The only work needed was basic maintenance. Some windshield wipers, tires and brakes are much cheaper than car payments.

If you have a reliable car now it will likely be reliable in 2023.

Frankly, if it wasnā€™t for Cybertruck I would be driving this car for another 10 years and then buy a used car from a worried seller such as yourself.
I don't like owning a car out of warranty, especially a German one.

I have a high need for a reliable car and little time for it to be in the shop. Kids need to be dropped at school, ex-wives aren't always understanding... yadda yadda. My last out of warranty car cost me a lot (my fault for keeping it, long story), I would get a rental every time it was in the shop, which cost a fair bit. I should have bought a new car much sooner.

Long story short, I just prefer to not have the hassle. And no, I have no interest in owning a Toyota. Excellent vehicles, boring as hell from my perspective. Recommend them to people who want good, reliable transport though.

Aside from that, it's also an excuse to buy something else interesting. ?

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
My Tundra has 120,000 miles and 17 years out of warrantee. Gonna be a bit of a challenge getting it replaced before the warrantee runs out. No worries though, it's not a physics problem, just an engineering one. Just need to fit gotta figure out how to get the truck in through the doorway and we're all set....

iu.jpeg
Well technically the TARDIS has a chameleon circuit that means it will adapt to it's surroundings. It was damaged and locked into the form of a Earth Police Call Box but if that was repaired, you could fit a vehicle in no problems. It's not infinitely large on the inside, but it is extremely large. Like you could easily fit a gigafactory inside no problems. Many of them.

?

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
The obsession with replacing cars the instant the warranty is up is apparently very common among ct reservation holders.. at least from all the commentary on here and social media.

Quite frankly, doing that is a waste of financial and material resources. The amount of money one spends over a year of new vehicle payments outweighs the same maintenance costs of a running used/paid off vehicle. But apparently the stress of unexpected big ticket repairs is too unbearable for most, which results in emotions overcoming logical savings over time.

What's it cost to maintain a high mileage vehicle? Not much. Full synthetic oil changes.. $60-90. Do it every 3k miles and your engine will love you forever. What's that maybe $675/yr if you drive 25k miles a year? And what's the extra $3-400/yr when your aggressive oil change schedule will prevent a real expensive breakdown?! Who cares the manufacturer tells you to do it less... They want you to break down and buy new every 5 years like a drug addict.

Ok add in the occasional big ticket items every few years. Perfect example.. my 250k mileage 2007 Ridgeline had to have rear main seal replaced this year. A $30 part that costs $900 in labor to fix because you gotta remove the whole transmission. Seems most people here would throw the truck away the second they heard that. Plus new axles rotors and brakes. Plus i opted to fix my ac that's been broken for 10 years cause I'm sick of summer heat in my truck. Overall spent $3000 in parts and labor this year. Last big ticket for the truck was 5 years ago i replaced the radiator and cat. So my yearly cost to maintain this out of warranty truck is about $966/year over the past 5 years. Sure, i spent nearly nothing for 4 years and then 90% of that this year, but still worked out to drastically less than a new vehicle with a conservative $300/mo payment that costs $3600/yr just to get a warranty. I'm saving 2700/yr while most are saving nothing but a vague concept of security.

Obsession with in warranty new vehicles is a waste of money that most are throwing money down the drain over some mythical piece of mind for.

I wasn't going to ever replace my Ridgeline and was hoping to get 500k miles out of it, but the reality is that hanging onto this thing to save on new vehicle costs is actually costing me money because of the terrible fuel economy as gas prices are only going up. So I'm upgrading simply for that straightforward reason that the upgrade will be cheaper in the long run than the occasional repair bill plus crappy fuel economy of the current vehicle.

Then again, doesn't seem Tesla attracts people concerned with logical fiscal responsibility. Seems most here have multiple reservations and multiple existing Tesla's like they are shopping at a dollar store for your kids 6th birthday party favors!

I guess if the warranty is worth that extra cost for you then it works! I'm a cheap f and the savings are what gives me the same piece of mind!
Yeah but... YOLO. <--- This is a joke, well kind of.

I maintain my vehicles very well, they get regular servicing, they are garaged. washed and polished. I did have a bad experience, as I posted about, and not all of us have access to a backup vehicle. When my car was out of warranty I had to rent a car every time it was in the shop because I need to take my kids to school every day and so on. They don't live with me, I drive to their mother's every morning, get them up, give them breakfast, make their lunches, drop them at school. I can't just not do this because my car is in the shop.

I prefer to have a car that is available always, when it's not, I have a loaner.

I also derive a great deal of enjoyment from a vehicle. Some people spend money on boats, or gambling, or golf clubs... Some people enjoy squirreling money away, hoarding every penny and more power to them. I spend some of that money on a vehicle that I enjoy getting in every day. I would save a lot of money driving a Corolla or a Camry. I would rather walk, sadly that's not an option. Not every decision has to be financially optimal.

I know full well the financial impact, but I'd rather die with a bit less money having enjoyed the hell out of driving well engineered vehicles than putt along in some uninspiring appliance on wheels. ?

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I agree vehicles typically go far beyond the warranty with minimal cost and effort most of the time. I also think that one reason some people like to stay under warranty is that it is very convenient for them logistically if something ever does go wrong and often times they wouldnā€™t know where to start if a serious issue arose. If a single mother is pulling into the theater with kids while under warranty and her tranny gives out on in parking lot she just hits the onstar button and let them know. Theyā€™ll send a tow truck, take to repair, and most cases deliver it home. If she didnā€™t have warranty, it would be a nightmare for her to even find a way to get the vehicle out of the parking lot on her own. Itā€˜s worth it in some cases to stay under warranty but for folks like us not so much. We can save tons of cash just doing a little maintenance like you suggested. We understand how the vehicles work and can often times catch a potential problem before it becomes catastrophic whereas the single mother scenario may not see any signs of an impending issue and just keep driving until poof. Personally, I donā€™t really consider mileage or age as as indicators to buy a new truck. I usually keep driving until I start to have issues whether Itā€™s at 80k miles or 180k miles. When issues start arising that could potentially leave me stranded, time for new.
+1 for this...

Except I'm not a single mother and I am reasonably mechanically minded. I can do basic repairs and maintenance.

I think people who keep older cars may also have a spouse with a vehicle as a backup, or maybe family members. Mine are all overseas, I have no one to borrow cars from and people who depend on me for their transportation and care.

It also depends where you live. Where I am if you don't have a car, forget it. Unless you want to Uber.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well technically the TARDIS has a chameleon circuit that means it will adapt to it's surroundings. It was damaged and locked into the form of a Earth Police Call Box but if that was repaired, you could fit a vehicle in no problems. It's not infinitely large on the inside, but it is extremely large. Like you could easily fit a gigafactory inside no problems. Many of them.

?
I'm pretty sure the TARDIS is just big enough for whatever the plot demands on any given episode. I've never seen them get something this big in, but I have seen the doctor drive a motor bike in at speed so perhaps you just drive at it and things work themselves out.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
"Your cars extended warranty is about to expire. This is your final call.". :)
It blows my mind... I bought a car with a 6 year, 72K Mile factory warranty and a few months later was getting letters about how my warranty was about to expire... LOL

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the TARDIS is just big enough for whatever the plot demands on any given episode. I've never seen them get something this big in, but I have seen the doctor drive a motor bike in at speed so perhaps you just drive at it and things work themselves out.
Oh, it's been addressed. The inside can actual adapt to whatever need you have, bit like the room of requirement in Harry Potter. :)

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/a/124499

There was a particularly bad Tom Baker episode I think where they must have been low on funds because the Doctor was running through what looks like the halls of some 1950 eras building in the UK and this was supposed to be the inside of the Tardis. Windows, sunlight etc. Then they had to reach what looked like the kind of lever you might see to shift a train track, about waist high, with a clamp looking device at the top. Even as a kid I was like wow, the BBC special effects department has hit a new low.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Yeah but... YOLO. <--- This is a joke, well kind of.

I maintain my vehicles very well, they get regular servicing, they are garaged. washed and polished. I did have a bad experience, as I posted about, and not all of us have access to a backup vehicle. When my car was out of warranty I had to rent a car every time it was in the shop because I need to take my kids to school every day and so on. They don't live with me, I drive to their mother's every morning, get them up, give them breakfast, make their lunches, drop them at school. I can't just not do this because my car is in the shop.

I prefer to have a car that is available always, when it's not, I have a loaner.

I also derive a great deal of enjoyment from a vehicle. Some people spend money on boats, or gambling, or golf clubs... Some people enjoy squirreling money away, hoarding every penny and more power to them. I spend some of that money on a vehicle that I enjoy getting in every day. I would save a lot of money driving a Corolla or a Camry. I would rather walk, sadly that's not an option. Not every decision has to be financially optimal.

I know full well the financial impact, but I'd rather die with a bit less money having enjoyed the hell out of driving well engineered vehicles than putt along in some uninspiring appliance on wheels. ?
But is it really ā€well engineered?ā€ ?

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
But is it really ā€well engineered?ā€ ?
A Porsche is well engineered from a performance perspective. Yet the finer tolerances and sophistication means it's likely less reliable than a Camry. Does that mean the Camry is better engineered?

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I understand and agree with you. Was just kidding around. I would also take the Porsche before the Camry.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Oh, it's been addressed. The inside can actual adapt to whatever need you have, bit like the room of requirement in Harry Potter. :)
Wait... are we talking about the TARDIS or the Cybertruck here?

There was a particularly bad Tom Baker episode I think where they must have been low on funds because the Doctor was running through what looks like the halls of some 1950 eras building in the UK and this was supposed to be the inside of the Tardis. Windows, sunlight etc. Then they had to reach what looked like the kind of lever you might see to shift a train track, about waist high, with a clamp looking device at the top. Even as a kid I was like wow, the BBC special effects department has hit a new low.
They made an alien by wrapping some dude in bubble wrap... I'm not sure you can get much lower budget than that.

I kind of liked the Tom Baker episodes inside the TARDIS.

Though the best TARDIS episode has to be the Doctor's Wife.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A Porsche is well engineered from a performance perspective. Yet the finer tolerances and sophistication means it's likely less reliable than a Camry. Does that mean the Camry is better engineered?
Where does that put Jaguar then? King of good design?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Just for reference on just how "void" we actually are:

A cubic centimetre of neutron star is 400million tons.

Thats the mass of a 100million elephants in the size of a cube of sugar.

We could therefore put Giga Texas in the Tardis too.

It would therefore stand to reason that as a side effect of being able to travel through the spacetime continuum the Tardis would have to "warp" spacetime to do so and as a consequence would have a fairly high density ie be more dense on the inside. To the point the Tardis, if it were dense enough could "fall" through time. The doors therefore would act as a portal, like a pressure chamber, to reformat you upon entry so you fit in the tardis matrix so you have less void, and by doing so you could also stay intact as it maneveoures thru space time. :cool:

Although I doubt the BBC could finance an actual tardis now, maybe at some point in the future they did though, at least in some reality, and came back in time, and as such maybe they did pickup a old building and hallway and lever switch along the way so they could preserve the series timeline because they couldn't afford a better prop. :unsure:

What is most improbable though is that we as human voids can fully grasp the concept of nothing and will nonetheless fill it with non-sense matter, because we at this time, persistently think we are the only consciousness in the universe, and our intelligence is of our own individual construct, and therefore "must" represent reality. :alien:

Therefore, let me throw yet another spanner in the gears of man made ideas.

Time does not exist either.

What we perceive as "time" is nothing more than a "sequence of events."

What we call "time" is just the measurement of the sequence of events, but as of itself is nothing, and therefore does not exist.

Every derivative of a time construct is therefore subject only to our own momentary cognitive constraints, and the measurements to define those contraints, that has been limited by the ideas of those before us, because they too believed they had a good grasp on reality, because that is what they learnt etc etc.

This also is consistent in our experience of time where we experience the sequence of events at different rates depending on our frame of reference and state of mind.

The construct of time all stems from the assumption that the speed of light is a constant, from which we can then derive these measurements from. If its not, which we know now that it isn't, and has been proven imperically, that leaves many matters up for contention, and new rules need to be formulated to incorporate those into our cognitive constraints so our artificial perception of reality better appoximates the natural reality we observe.

As such perception is reality. ?
Sponsored