Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This also means the dual motor variant will be the last to enter production now instead of the single motor. Which means my 1/2025 estimated delivery just went to 2026 or more!
It is more like “more”. Elon wants CT to be the best when it comes out. As long as other manufacturers come out with something better, CT will get redesigned and delayed. Rear wheel steering from Hummer, Quad from Rivian, Lucid was just first over 500 miles so getting that in a big truck may take a while, CT is a moving target.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I’ll bet they just develop a dual motor and a quad motor. The tri motor seems superfluous. Maybe they will have a dual motor 500 mile variant.
Yes, this. Only dual motor and a quad motor

Only two drive-train configurations but maybe more choice in battery pack

chemistry ( LFP vs High Nickel) & size ( 300 mi LFP vs 600 mi HiNi)

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model 3, 2018 Jeep Rubicon, 2013 GMC 2500
Country flag
I’m hoping that as well, but I’m not sure I want to spend $100k on a truck, if that’s what the price turns out to be.
I just bought a Ram 3500 last January and it was pretty close to that. By the time these come out all big fully loaded trucks will be over 100k

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Yes, this. Only dual motor and a quad motor

Only two drive-train configurations but maybe more choice in battery pack

chemistry ( LFP vs High Nickel) & size ( 300 mi LFP vs 600 mi HiNi)
If they are thinking 800V-900V battery packs, that may add some serious delays.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Props to that original quad motor poster from a few months ago that everyone shot down!
Thanks for remembering.

I originally suggested rear steering,
Now we might be getting both rear steering and tank turn.

After Elon confirmed rear steer and Rivian shipped with 4-motor, I suggested Tesla might have production simplification with Cybertruck 4-motor rear steer using same components for front and rear.

Don't bet against Elon.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
It is more like “more”. Elon wants CT to be the best when it comes out. As long as other manufacturers come out with something better, CT will get redesigned and delayed. Rear wheel steering from Hummer, Quad from Rivian, Lucid was just first over 500 miles so getting that in a big truck may take a while, CT is a moving target.
Yes but there is a limit to how long they can delay/revise. Otherwise its vaporware that will perpetually be delayed and revised every time an oem just throws random specs out into the atmosphere.

I am all for 500 mi range dual motor.. and only a dual or quad motor option. I would love a quad motor but reality is I will probably never remotely come close to affording it. Unless they somehow rejig their pricing to stay close to the original pricing while incorporating all these new improved changes.

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I have a couple thoughts....first COMPETITION IS GOOD. Thank you Rivian for putting the pressure on Tesla and lighting a bit more fire under them to make this a possibility.

Secondly, I think this is more about Tesla being locked into hundreds of thousands of orders that are now two years old and are at prices that are just as old. With inflation, logistics constraints and time, they're looking for a way to get all these people to give up their (now) cheaply priced 3 motor variants and upgrade to a new truck with updated 2022 pricing. This is part evil, part genius as I imagine most tri-motor reservation holders will want the best and first truck produced. If they were to stick with their better priced tri-motor then they would not only have the 2nd best CT, but they'd be put to the end of the line since the quad motor trucks are to be built first....a hard pill to swallow for early adopters that have already waited 2 years.

It's a bit disappointing that due to their own shortfalls Tesla is looking for a way out of their pricing commitment by screwing over their most die hard early tri-motor cyber truck fans/reservation holders.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I have a couple thoughts....first COMPETITION IS GOOD. Thank you Rivian for putting the pressure on Tesla and lighting a bit more fire under them to make this a possibility.

Secondly, I think this is more about Tesla being locked into hundreds of thousands of orders that are now two years old and are at prices that are just as old. With inflation, logistics constraints and time, they're looking for a way to get all these people to give up their (now) cheaply priced 3 motor variants and upgrade to a new truck with updated 2022 pricing. This is part evil, part genius as I imagine most tri-motor reservation holders will want the best and first truck produced. If they were to stick with their better priced tri-motor then they would not only have the 2nd best CT, but they'd be put to the end of the line since the quad motor trucks are to be built first....a hard pill to swallow for early adopters that have already waited 2 years.

It's a bit disappointing that due to their own shortfalls Tesla is looking for a way out of their pricing commitment by screwing over their most die hard early tri-motor cyber truck fans/reservation holders.
Actually the tri motor will not go to the end of line of start of production.. just behind the quad motor. Dual motor goes to the end of the line.
Sponsored