Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
We don't know what he meant by rear wheel steering yet. Is it full active steering like the crab walking Hummer or just a passive system that only turns a couple of degrees either way (opposite direction of front at slow speeds and same as front at high speeds). I am betting on the latter. I personally think the crab walking thing is more of a gimmick.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I think that Tesla has made so many other cost improvements with manufacturing that we shouldn’t have to worry about there being a cost increase personally. Elon’s comment before alluding to we don’t know enough about how awesome that it will be to fully understand it. When they do release all the information about the final truck it will be a exciting event. In the meantime I’m being patient and saving more $.
Also since Tesla manufacturing is much more vertical integrated than other OEMs, Tesla might be doing the rear wheel steering components in-house. The save cost by eliminating the supplier profit.

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
So.. I guess this is bad news for anyone expecting their truck this year or maybe even next. Didnt Elon hisself say that the design of the cybertruck was finalized. In. Freaking. JANUARY..!?!?

Whatever happened to: Best part is no part? The memetruck just doesnt need another gimmick imo.

-Disgruntled customer sunbleaching while waiting in line.
squating_skeleton_still_waiting_meme1.jpg
This could have been part of the finalized design in January.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
So.. I guess this is bad news for anyone expecting their truck this year or maybe even next. Didnt Elon hisself say that the design of the cybertruck was finalized. In. Freaking. JANUARY..!?!?

Whatever happened to: Best part is no part? The memetruck just doesnt need another gimmick imo.

That is not what the meme "Best part is no part" means. If it did you would not have a car at all, use the bus.

The meme "best part is no part' means strive to accomplish a feature using the fewest parts possible.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Options are great for the consumer.
No, they're not. They're ways to nickel and dime the customer.

I just need the price not to climb. But I would totally use the heck out of crab-walking if I had it. Ultimate parking accessory, if you think about it. Where I live I'm always squeezing into tight spaces, and anything to make the truck 'act' smaller, I would use the heck out of.

-Crissa

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
No, they're not. They're ways to nickel and dime the customer.

-Crissa
Oh but Crissa, wouldn’t the world be so boring if everyone had the same stuff? Lightning provides options, CT has options, Hummer…we the consumer need these options in order to get what WE want? Understanding that you’re gonna pay for what you want, nothing is free. As stated in a previous post; I want what I put a reservation down on, no down sizing just dual motor with FSD. Please…?

Kirsten

First Name
Kirsten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Can’t wait to see some action videos demonstrating this new feature! Would love to see the CT go up the road to the Silver Star Trailhead in Washington state to get to Ed’s trail. Most people don’t approach that way because of the rough road or park below the Trailhead since the road is in such bad condition. The fun part is going out and testing the features and seeing what it can do in the real world scenarios I am going to be taking it into. Can’t wait to get mine...
I am just hoping it will fit in my single car garage ok so I don’t have to move.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Could the CT do a "TANK TURN" if the front wheels turn all the way LEFT while the rear wheels turn all the way RIGHT. Perhaps a software selection will allow that maneuver.
I think the reason Elon added the rear steering is so it could compete heads up with the Hummer Crab Walk and Rivian Tank Turn.

No, Cybertruck with rear wheel steering will not be able to do Rivian type tank turn.

Yes, will directly compete with Hummer Crab Walk

In real-like the Cyubertruck rear wheel steering will be much more frequently used than Rivian type tank turn.

The Rivian tank turn requires a slippery surface. The Rivian tank turn can not be used on normal paved roads so can not be used for most parking, driving, & towing situations. The Cybertruck rear wheel steering can help with all three of those situations.

Last edited:

mje

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Internet Provider
Country flag
Better turning - cool. Crab maneuver for parking - that would be useful.
For the tri-motor - if the front motor had an additional cog or two - couldn't the left and right wheels rotate in opposite directions (tank turn). A Tank Turn mode in conjunction with turning each wheel in opposite directions (in to a circle) - if each wheel can be turned individually.
(Trying to picture the wheels below, "XXXXX" being the body, and "|" the axle)

/ \
|XXXXX|
\ /

Hmmp - when I edit this, the "\" and "/" (the wheels) characters are inline with the "|" (the axles), when saved, the font type changes and nothing inline any more.

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
As with all other Tesla models they can change pricing on a whim.
That being said I would expect reservation holders would see their prices firm except for options.
Future buyers could see increased pricing.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck: The Ford F-150 Lightning killer. The GMC EV Hummer Killer. The Rivian Killer.
--------------------

Tesla could make the rear wheel steering a standard feature of dual motor & tri-motor versions & increase price by $5K-$9K on those models to cover increased material costs that happened by time Cybertruck ships ( two years after original reveal). Keep single motor at $39K price.

Cybertruck would still be a better value than the competitors.
Sponsored