Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
With 57" between the fenders, there's a little bit of room available... I just hope they don't take too much of the width!
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
One of the key advantages of EV is the simplicity of fewer moving parts. Moving parts require maintenance. Moving parts fail. While dual axle steering is a nice convenience, I have my concerns. If a six axle dump truck can maneuver through city traffic, I don't think a pu with less than half the footprint really will use the dual steering feature enough to pay for the investment. I understand that the CT is an ideal platform for it but I don't picture myself showing off doing pinwheels during a "hold my beer" moment. Tires are expensive. I will concede that parking in a tight spot would be really cool.
If you don't back you truck into a parking spot (have had several F-350s and now an F-150), you have to pull almost completely out in a straight line before even starting to turn. That means you have 20'-22' of truck sticking out there. It gets tricky if the parking lot has narrower lanes to drive through. Pulling into a spot forwards? Forget about making THAT turn in most parking lots... Another truck parks next to or behind you? Forget about it. My F-450, to the contrary, was MUCH easier to park despite it's large size just because it had Ford's Moonbeam front suspension which let it turn a lot more sharply. Can't wait for rear steering. It should give us an equally tight turning radius. I'm serious. It made a HUGE difference.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I don't think Tesla cares to much about being underpriced compared to the competition. I think when you compare any Tesla vehicle to a vehicle with similar specs and performance, it's very reasonably priced. The Model S Plaid is the most expensive and it completely embarasses any sports car you put next to it while being a four door sedan.

Also Tesla has so many other fun features that other companies don't even really care about. Sure these don't really matter when it comes to the drive, but when it comes to the overall vehicle, I think it should be considered in the value.

Arcade: fun little games for you and your kids (Or just you if you are a child adult like me).

Gaming computer: Just for the S/X and hopefully Cybertruck. Having an actual built in gaming computer is pretty cool just to have the option. Play a game while charging, waiting for someone while they are shopping, or maybe you are camping and it starts to downpour.

Youtube and other streaming services: For the same reasons and I like the gaming computer, this is pretty awesome. I absolutely love camping with my wife, but even we bring a laptop so after we are done hiking, swimming, fishing, or anything else, we can just watch a show or a movie before bed. This will be even better in the Cybertruck with middle seat so i'm not separated from my wife.

As far as I have seen, none of the other EV cars or trucks coming out have these features built in. Tesla has even hinted at an app store for the future so the possibilities of what we might get on the display is endless. games for sure but we might even get apps like google drive which would be awesome for people who do a lot of travel for work.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I don't think Tesla cares to much about being underpriced compared to the competition. I think when you compare any Tesla vehicle to a vehicle with similar specs and performance, it's very reasonably priced. The Model S Plaid is the most expensive and it completely embarasses any sports car you put next to it while being a four door sedan.

Also Tesla has so many other fun features that other companies don't even really care about. Sure these don't really matter when it comes to the drive, but when it comes to the overall vehicle, I think it should be considered in the value.

Arcade: fun little games for you and your kids (Or just you if you are a child adult like me).

Gaming computer: Just for the S/X and hopefully Cybertruck. Having an actual built in gaming computer is pretty cool just to have the option. Play a game while charging, waiting for someone while they are shopping, or maybe you are camping and it starts to downpour.

Youtube and other streaming services: For the same reasons and I like the gaming computer, this is pretty awesome. I absolutely love camping with my wife, but even we bring a laptop so after we are done hiking, swimming, fishing, or anything else, we can just watch a show or a movie before bed. This will be even better in the Cybertruck with middle seat so i'm not separated from my wife.

As far as I have seen, none of the other EV cars or trucks coming out have these features built in. Tesla has even hinted at an app store for the future so the possibilities of what we might get on the display is endless. games for sure but we might even get apps like google drive which would be awesome for people who do a lot of travel for work.
If the CT is supposed to be a work truck it'll basically need to act as a mobile office. If I can get QuickBooks Online running on my truck dash and being able to do things like manage my calendar and appointments on dash instead of in my hand on my phone would be amazing. Add in what FSD is shaping up to be by this time next year and it will hopefully be a chauffeur from appointment to appointment.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If the CT is supposed to be a work truck it'll basically need to act as a mobile office. If I can get QuickBooks Online running on my truck dash and being able to do things like manage my calendar and appointments on dash instead of in my hand on my phone would be amazing. Add in what FSD is shaping up to be by this time next year and it will hopefully be a chauffeur from appointment to appointment.
Well I don't want to talk up the future app store too much. As great as the potential is, I don't know if every app will need to be made for Teslas architecture or if Tesla will be compatible with programs from windows or android.

For apps I was always assuming when they came out that Tesla might have it's own architecture. However with the addition to a gaming computer, I haven't looked into it but I'm guessing it's just running the PC version. I don't really know, this isn't my area of expertise and haven't really read into yet.

I would really like it if there was some sort of standard if there if in car apps become their own separate thing. We have Windows / Mac / Linux/ Chrome for computers. We have Android / IOS / Windows / Blackberry for phones. I'm sure there are other operating systems for computers and phones that I don't know about. Tesla might become kind of like apple where they have different charging cables and compatible apps than everyone.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Well I don't want to talk up the future app store too much. As great as the potential is, I don't know if every app will need to be made for Teslas architecture or if Tesla will be compatible with programs from windows or android.

For apps I was always assuming when they came out that Tesla might have it's own architecture. However with the addition to a gaming computer, I haven't looked into it but I'm guessing it's just running the PC version. I don't really know, this isn't my area of expertise and haven't really read into yet.

I would really like it if there was some sort of standard if there if in car apps become their own separate thing. We have Windows / Mac / Linux/ Chrome for computers. We have Android / IOS / Windows / Blackberry for phones. I'm sure there are other operating systems for computers and phones that I don't know about. Tesla might become kind of like apple where they have different charging cables and compatible apps than everyone.
Or how about if the Tesla screen can be used as a Bluetooth display device with touchscreen access? Then you could use it as a display device for your phone or laptop. Shouldn’t matter what brand as long as they support the Bluetooth driver.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Tesla is mostly linux based so it should run steam etc at some point for gaming. Android runs a linux kernal so not to different either. Most of it is based on open source, but I expect all FSD and safety features etc to run at least in dedicated containers, or even separate hardware.

But in saying that a $3-400 tablet will add all that functionality too except FSD/AAA gaming. Its nice to have it built in though on a 17".

It could do screencast over wifi, but bluetooth is not fast enough for screen casting. You can already screencast with Android auto btw.

Last edited:

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
But most of us who ordered had no idea how to drive a truck lol I barely even do and I ordered two.
Me too.

I've driven a uhaul a couple of times, a Tacoma a bunch of times. I don't think they qualify...

Got to start somewhere though.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Me too.

I've driven a uhaul a couple of times, a Tacoma a bunch of times. I don't think they qualify...

Got to start somewhere though.
I remember my first time driving a truck, it didn't really take more than a couple minutes on the roat to adjust and parking was a lot easier than I thought and I didn't even have all the cameras that Tesla have.

On the bright side for people who don't know how to park a truck, the Cybertruck will do it for them and they just need to supervise on the comeras.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The yoke steering will benefit from 4 wheel steering. For the same front-wheel steering angle input, the CT will turn quicker with the addition of opposite rear steering inputs. This makes wrestling the yoke less of a chore. I used to drive military tugs with selectable 4-wheel steering to tow aircraft. They were amazing with all the configurations I could choose.

I 100% expected the new model S to have variable electric power steering. It might even have it just not activated yet because this is definitely what the yoke is for in actuality. I will bet a lot of money on the truck having variable steering at least if not at first than 2 years down the line.
Unless its purely drive by wire in the Plaid, or CT, I'm not sure how they would add a variable ratio steering rack. I've been driving cars (Toyotas) with variable ratio steering for two decades now, and they work well but are mechanical. They normally progressively increase the ratio the more you turn, meaning the more you turn the steering wheel, the actual wheels turn even more than previously. They also allow for finer high speed control in the center, and typically have variable assist as well, so that at speed they become harder to turn which adds stability and feel.

Technically, in regards to how fast the CT will turn with or without 4 wheel steer will depend on the total steering angle of the vehicle, not necessarily the variable steering rate, that could be the same for 2 wheel front steering as well. The rear wheel steering will add to the total wheel turning angle of course, but it will also push the center of rotation forwards from being in between the rear wheels. Note that on the CT 4WS each wheel tracks a different angle (because the rear wheel arches are too small for big steering angles on the CT) because of the ackermann linkage geometry, and not because each wheel will be actuated individually. This will work for crab steering as well with no additional parts.

Tesla Cybertruck Rear Wheel Steering ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP

Because the axis of steering moves forwards, it's much harder to hit the curb with the rear wheel, because the rear wheels now follow the front wheel track instead (or nearly). This is also beneficial offroad and in particular in sand, as the front wheels compact the ground which means the rear wheels have reduced rolling resistance and is less likely to get bogged. This is of course if you can resist the urge to dig up the track with excessive acceleration. :)

Last edited:

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla Model S Plaid to all comers. Tesla Cybertruck to all other EV trucks:
I'm gonna walk all over you.......

Last edited:

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
H
Elon just confirmed the Cybertruck will be almost exactly what was shown. They are adding rear wheel steering, so it can do tight turns and maneuver with high agility.
He added; "lots of other great things coming".

How about the actual final design update we were promised six months ago, rather than new potential features to raise the price and delay production of the CT?

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
H

How about the actual final design update we were promised six months ago, rather than new potential features to raise the price and delay production of the CT?
I would love to see the final design as well. I’m not sure what or why Elon is holding off on this information??? Folks wanna know?

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I would love to see the final design as well. I’m not sure what or why Elon is holding off on this information??? Folks wanna know?
I worry it's because there are 4680 production issues.
Sponsored