Remote solar recharging

Cyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I know there has been mention of the vault cover being use for solar, but I wonder what would be a good option in terms of a panel array that unfolds (manual is fine) for when the truck is parked for a couple of days. In ICE overland rigs, they have a root or bed-rack mounted tent. It would be easy enough to have the panels fold and sit below the tent, and then break out once you've set up.

Anyways, just fantasizing. I recently had Tesla Solar and a few PowerWalls installed for my home and the thoughts are racing about what's possible for my CT overland rig plans.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
We don't know. There have been multiple threads on this.

If Tesla has a solar controller for the tonneau that charges the traction battery directly, then it would be easy to just mimic that with the proper connections. Otherwise it'll be a pain to have the proper inverters power and software to dynamically control the AC charging built into the truck, or to tap into the traction charging directly (super dangerous).

A trailer connection or V2H connection might also be a function they add to the Cybertruck and solar could interface with that.

We really won't know until they tell us, though.

Cross fingers, solar on my car is something I have always done.

-Crissa

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
GDay, I saw a "Now You Know" of about 6 months ago, where a report by a guy that had worked for Ford, was giving info on Fords tare-down of a model 3. He said that the hardware is already in the car and only requires a software download. This is for V2G and maybe V2V...therefore I would guess the basic "electric car" design would be very similar, so probable ALL Teslas have this feature.
I also guess to "turn it on" would incur a cost :(
But an easy future benefit.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
GDay, I saw a "Now You Know" of about 6 months ago, where a report by a guy that ...
...was wrong. He saw some chip packaging and assumed, but they're diodes not transistors. Easy mistake to make, but goes to show how few components need to change to make this a reality.

It would not have helped the solar situation, though, as solar is DC and the design he was talking about was AC.

-Crissa

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Crissa..thanks for dashing my hopes!
But "good" to know.
Thanks again.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
GDay, I saw a "Now You Know" of about 6 months ago, where a report by a guy that had worked for Ford, was giving info on Fords tare-down of a model 3. He said that the hardware is already in the car
A few months ago some bloke opened up the charger for a 3 (I think it was) and noticed that the architecture was bridge, bridge, transformer, bridge and concluded from this that the device was bi-directional and that architecture is indeed the architecture of a bi directional device but whether the device before you is bidirectional or not depends on what is in the "switches" in the bridges and how they are gated. None of this reflects on solar panel charging however. Charging the main battery from solar panels directly would require a power point tracking up converter - a one way device. My thinking is that if they put a solar toneau on the CT then they have to have this circuit and might as well put a couple of extra ports on it for third party panels. I hope they do this. I think customers would love it.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
A few months ago some bloke opened up the charger for a 3 (I think it was) and noticed that the architecture was bridge, bridge, transformer, bridge and concluded from this that the device was bi-directional and that architecture is indeed the architecture of a bi directional device but whether the device before you is bidirectional or not depends on what is in the "switches" in the bridges and how they are gated. None of this reflects on solar panel charging however. Charging the main battery from solar panels directly would require a power point tracking up converter - a one way device. My thinking is that if they put a solar toneau on the CT then they have to have this circuit and might as well put a couple of extra ports on it for third party panels. I hope they do this. I think customers would love it.
That would be good. Personally I'm thinking with the right rack on a Cybertruck you could be REALLY set up well for camping. You could mount a Starlink dish, and have solar panels coming off the sides that would also provide shade, plus you could have a tent on top of the rack with ladder access and still have all you stuff in the bed. Who knows maybe the bed would be the kitchen to your two story rig. :p

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I know there has been mention of the vault cover being use for solar, but I wonder what would be a good option in terms of a panel array that unfolds (manual is fine) for when the truck is parked for a couple of days. In ICE overland rigs, they have a root or bed-rack mounted tent. It would be easy enough to have the panels fold and sit below the tent, and then break out once you've set up.

Anyways, just fantasizing. I recently had Tesla Solar and a few PowerWalls installed for my home and the thoughts are racing about what's possible for my CT overland rig plans.
What if you combined a solar panel and an awning - see the "Batwing Awning". They tend to be 270 degrees, to cover a good area, and typically shielding from rain, or sun. There you go, perfect. Not much will work in the rain, so...

Djarik

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The Batwing Awning would be cool.

Let's have these guys (http://www.pvilion.com/) make us a fold out tent/canopy solution with built in solar.

PVILION
Pvilion is the world’s leading provider of solar powered fabric, with decades of experience in tensile structure design and flexible solar technology integration. Our products range from stand-alone USB charging canopies, solar military tents, grid-tied long span structures, solar powered charging stations to solar powered curtains, building facades, backpacks and clothing. What we do is simple in theory - we integrate solar cells with fabric, and we build fabric products that generate electricity. Effectively, any surface that is getting hit by the sun, can be a fabric that generates electricity.
Pvilion provides turnkey service, including design, engineering, permitting, manufacturing and installation. Pvilion also works with architects, landscape architects, engineers, and or general contractors to provide detailed specifications for custom installations.

FLEXIBLE SOLAR

• Design/Invention
• Structural/Electrical Engineering
• Fabrication
• Prototyping
• Installation

OP
OP
Cyber

Cyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Somewhat resurrecting my own thread so that I don't create fractured ones throughout.

I'm really hoping there will be some awesome third-party solutions. I've developed a healthy addiction to getting my CT to very remote locations without finding myself stranded.

The source is less the problem for me. I'm just wanting to see what's possible.

There are some remote areas around Big Bend, TX that I want to explore. Gaining the ability to recharge (in whichever fashion) is important.

Let's toss another variable. As I intend to use the CT vault as a sleeping area, considerations for heat usage during the night will be important, too.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Somewhat resurrecting my own thread so that I don't create fractured ones throughout.

I'm really hoping there will be some awesome third-party solutions. I've developed a healthy addiction to getting my CT to very remote locations without finding myself stranded.

The source is less the problem for me. I'm just wanting to see what's possible.

There are some remote areas around Big Bend, TX that I want to explore. Gaining the ability to recharge (in whichever fashion) is important.

Let's toss another variable. As I intend to use the CT vault as a sleeping area, considerations for heat usage during the night will be important, too.
I hadn't thought about it until now, but even an electric blanket could be used, in the CT.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I hadn't thought about it until now, but even an electric blanket could be used, in the CT.
The new measure of usefulness: how long can you keep an electric blanket running using your car battery.

For emergencies the electric blanket would be useful. But I’d be worried about having enough charge to make it home afterward. And last I’d heard the bed of the CT was supposed to be temperature controlled. Might be more efficient to just let the truck do the heating instead of the blanket.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
The new measure of usefulness: how long can you keep an electric blanket running using your car battery.

For emergencies the electric blanket would be useful. But I’d be worried about having enough charge to make it home afterward. And last I’d heard the bed of the CT was supposed to be temperature controlled. Might be more efficient to just let the truck do the heating instead of the blanket.
They use around 40 watts, whereas the cabin heater on "eco-mode" uses anywhere from 900-1200 watts.
So an electric blanket could prolly do ya for 5-7-12 days-ish- depending on what the then current state of charge was.
Dont forget if one also had a good military blanket or 2 then no problemo!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Haven't I been suggesting electric blankets?

Spouse was taunting me with a road trip through Texas, again (I got so sick last time. Who knew I could be agoraphobic?) and Big Bend and Boca Chica and the space museums and even the Alamo would be cool to see!

And rolling in with a made-in-Texas truck gotta help me with street cred, right?

-Crissa
Sponsored