Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I would sure love to hear from Scaringe what their plan is to make a profit in this market is. The current route they seem to be on is pretty bland and I don’t think they have a strong enough competitive advantage to make it. Tesla stole a march on the industry because they thought EVs were a joke (often literally) and by the time they figured out otherwise, Tesla was producing hundreds of thousands of cars/ month.

Rivian can’t sneak a march. The niche they are pushing for is actively being pushed into by major auto companies. Rivian has no manufacturing cost advantages. In fact Ford and Tesla have significant manufacturing leverage over Rivian due to existing product lines. Even their “First eTruck on the market“ advantage seems to be slipping.
They know all of that so they are trying to sell a culture. People payed more for Starbucks coffee to feel cool and make sure everyone else knows they are cool. They got to meet other cool people while they were drinking their hot coffee. Once people see those headlights they know you are hip, happening and out there to save the planet and you are immediately part of the club. People still drink Starbucks coffee even though there are tons of other options. Rivian does not have to be the best EV. It just needs to be a good BEV replacement for ICE Jeep, Bronco, Tacoma and may be a little later for Subaru. If they establish the brand before those guys make a competitive EV, they may survive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There are Creative ways in compensation. Position on dividends are clear, no payout, money is reinvested into the company and R&D
Doesn’t really need to be creative, he can just make a private sale of some of his stake in SpaceX.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
People payed more for Starbucks coffee to feel cool and make sure everyone else knows they are cool.
This is not something that happened. At least, not from intent of Starbucks. Coffee culture pre-existed and Starbucks never charged more than others doing espresso.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is not something that happened. At least, not from intent of Starbucks. Coffee culture pre-existed and Starbucks never charged more than others doing espresso.

-Crissa
Starbucks coffee cost more than the coffee people make at home. Many started spending more time at Starbucks and as a result paid more for their coffee because they liked the atmosphere and they liked the coffee. Rivian is trying to produce a superior product and a pleasant atmosphere around it (Adventurous life style, social network powered by their hub in Venice and forever fund). I am not saying it is all fake and motivated only by profit. I am saying it is a formula that has been tried before and succeeded. Starbucks with good coffee but without a good atmosphere would not have been as successful. Rivian with a good product but without a mission and character will not be as successful either.

Do you disagree with my point or just delivery of my example?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Starbucks coffee cost more than the coffee people make at home. Many started spending more time at Starbucks and as a result paid more for their coffee because they liked the atmosphere and they liked the coffee. Rivian is trying to produce a superior product and a pleasant atmosphere around it (Adventurous life style, social network powered by their hub in Venice and forever fund). I am not saying it is all fake and motivated only by profit. I am saying it is a formula that has been tried before and succeeded. Starbucks with good coffee but without a good atmosphere would not have been as successful. Rivian with a good product but without a mission and character will not be as successful either.

Do you disagree with my point or just delivery of my example?
Spaghetti is more expensive at an Italian restaurant than when I make it here.

Starbucks is not more expensive that local coffee places around here. There is very little or no Starbucks “Premium” compared to other coffee shops.

You are paying to have someone keep a fresh thermos of coffee on hand at all times so you can roll up and get some joe at a moments notice. The expensive options require someone brew it on the spot and turn a perfectly good espresso into a syrupy mess with 100s of calories.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Spaghetti is more expensive at an Italian restaurant than when I make it here.

Starbucks is not more expensive that local coffee places around here. There is very little or no Starbucks “Premium” compared to other coffee shops.

You are paying to have someone keep a fresh thermos of coffee on hand at all times so you can roll up and get some joe at a moments notice. The expensive options require someone brew it on the spot and turn a perfectly good espresso into a syrupy mess with 100s of calories.
Man, you guys are killing me with Starbucks crap. I use examples (may be not skillfully) to make my point more clear not to prove it. If you want to waste your time, waste it on my point not my example. Do you think Rivian will do just as well without the whole adventure, save the planet and social aspect of the business?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Man, you guys are killing me with Starbucks crap. I use examples (may be not skillfully) to make my point more clear not to prove it. If you want to waste your time, waste it on my point not my example.
Sorry, don’t mean to nitpick. Starbucks is “Premium” the same way In and Out is “Premium”. Better than what you find at the gas station anyhow.

Do you think Rivian will do just as well without the whole adventure, save the planet and social aspect of the business?
I struggle with this. We already have premium auto brands. BMW‘s market cap is $66B for comparison. Tesla is smashing some of BMW‘s primary markets.

The Model X is $99k, it’s a premium medium sized SUV. Does Rivian go after that market?

How Luxe is the Cybertruck going to be? I expect it will have most of the Tesla signature amenities: nice seats, really good audio, Autopilot with optional FSD, air suspension, 4 wheel steering, dual front and rear nice climate control (likely heated front and rear heated seats), auto open doors…

Are people going to pay $20k for wood grain interiors and a nice looking truck? Now extend that to nearly every segment. How much more premium can Rivian go and have enough market share to really merit being worth significantly more than BMW?

I just don’t see where the edge Rivian is getting. When you talk about image, you are talking about big advertising expenses.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Espresso isn't the coffee you make at home. And you don't make nitro-pour at home unless you've a really fancy rig. You might do a pour-over at home, but then you're paying for the expertise and setting. Starbucks doesn't even do those.

*shrug* They're just a chain based off a coffee shop and of those, it's not about it being fancy, it's about it using machines and supplies you wouldn't have at home or definitely not in your car or on the street.

If you're cold and between shifts and you want a hot, tasty drink, you don't want to have to go all the way home to get it. And the idea of couches and stuff is because not everyone hast that in their homes, either, that's a space to get extroverted energy without all the work of being wealthy and or extroverted.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If you're cold and between shifts and you want a hot, tasty drink, you don't want to have to go all the way home to get it. And the idea of couches and stuff is because not everyone hast that in their homes, either, that's a space to get extroverted energy without all the work of being wealthy and or extroverted.
When we were building our house we lived in our RV for 18 months. Starbucks was good internet, relatively comfortable, heated space with some ok food and coffee. I could buy a “cup” of coffee and have it refilled all day while working.

(Diehard, just coffee talk, not trying to beat a dead horse)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, the lowly coffee cart was a godsend when I was in college. I don't drink coffee, but I am not a morning person. That warmth, smell, and knowing I could get some hot and sweet (or just sweet) after the commute and nurse through the first period until I was really awake was useful.

Later when I was stuck living with my parents and in endless temp jobs, the cafes were a place that was not under their roof I could be, meet with friends, etc.

Starbucks didn't have internet yet at that point, tho. That wasn't until after I was in my long-term relationship with my spouse. (23 years now!). ^-^

I love coffee houses of all sorts.

-Crissa

Even today the nearest Starbucks has an EV charger. It's not free, but it's only a buck to get enough juice to get home. I've used it when I didn't plan so well a couple times ^-^;

Yes, but someone has to. As long as the biggest van buyer lately is invested in them, they'll do fine. People want that Amazon ground floor experience.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Rivian has been very secretive on their future portfolio of vehicles. The rumor is they have some amazing vehicles that will be revealed in the next 60 months. The R1T and SUV are only the tip of the iceberg.

I plan on investing in the IPO as a pre-sale R1T reservation holder because of my hunch and solid names behind the company. Amazon, T Rowe Price, Ford, etc.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Rivian has been very secretive on their future portfolio of vehicles. The rumor is they have some amazing vehicles that will be revealed in the next 60 months. The R1T and SUV are only the tip of the iceberg.
Right now there isn’t an iceberg. If they can’t figure out how to produce 1000 trucks a week, the only thing that’s going to be lurking below the surface in 60 months is their investor’s portfolios..
Sponsored