Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Only 10K due this year. That's not the same as 10/year. Production doesn't start at maximum.

-Crissa
100,000 by 2030. I guess that's the minimum, But that doesn't show a lot of enthusiasm, Especially if Amazon has an exclusive, and Rivian cannot sell to other customers for 4 years.
It just doesn't sound like the commercial Van is going to be the breadwinner people are making it out to be. BTW, I would think Commercial vans would be a massive market for EV's, that's why this announcement caught my eye.
Sponsored

Deleted member 12457

I'm not sure a dual motor appeals to that off road camping trails bushwhacking market.
Are you saying a single motor version will handle typical off-roading where you need 4WD? The only way to do this with a single motor is to use the typical driveshaft and transfer case. Dual motors get rid of this, leaving lots of room for batteries instead of the stupid driveshaft tunnel. You're in BC where you need 4/AWD definitely through the winter just to stay on typical roads.

Deleted member 12457

I think you're giving Ford too much credit and need to (re)read my comment from last Friday. Rivian isn't trying to take over the truck market, only a portion of it. Rivian has a chance to succeed in the delivery van/last-mile vehicle market. To do this, they need a reasonable priced vehicle with at most 200 miles range. The R-series can be a loss leader for the nouveau riche high-end camping market. As for Ford, let's see if they can actually survive converting at least production facility, hopefully in the US instead of Canada or Mexico--sorry Kevin, to EV without going bankrupt. If they can, then I welcome as many EV manufacturers as possible. I would, however, like to see some of them in the US, Canada and Mexico instead of only in China, which is where I'm seeing most new EV companies being formed. China is the most populous country in the world, India right behind them, so it makes sense.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I wish them luck but I'm surprised their pre-orders aren't higher, I mean there were more CT pre-orders in the first day after the CT reveal. One may say that the R1T is not their primary focus, but I perceive differently since they took the time to develop both a Pickup and also a closed SUV version. I wonder if the 49K pre-orders include both the R1T and R1S variants. I actually like the Rivian instrument screen and dash layout, and wish Tesla would consider that type of interior interface layout for the CT. But regardless of what you think of the CT design, I still think externally it's more cohesive than the Rivian, from front to back. The Rivian pickup design is OK to me, until I look at the front - and that's where I'm turned off because I don't see the front-end style elements being cohesive with the rest of the truck at all. I hope they do well, but I think if you're going to go differently in style, you need to do it cohesively with the whole truck body, and not just the front. I think the Lordstown Motors pickup looks nice too, but I'm uncertain about the in-hub motors until knowing more, and with all the stories who know where that offering is going to land...

Now if Rivian were to start embracing expensive media advertising, dealerships and unions - then all bets are off and I would take any positive supportive comments back - because that would be attempting usurp the gains of a new EV model, to get buyers back in the corrupt dealer/association/unions eco-system.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12457

I wish them luck but I'm surprised their pre-orders aren't higher, I mean there were more CT pre-orders in the first day after the CT reveal. One may say that the R1T is not their primary focus, but I perceive differently since they took the time to develop both a Pickup and also a closed SUV version. I wonder if the 49K pre-orders include both the R1T and R1S variants. I actually like the Rivian instrument screen and dash layout, and wish Tesla would consider that type of interior interface layout for the CT. But regardless of what you think of the CT design, I still think externally it's more cohesive than the Rivian, from front to back. The Rivian pickup design is OK to me, until I look at the front - and that's where I'm turned off because I don't see the front-end style elements being cohesive with the rest of the truck at all. I hope they do well, but I think if you're going to go differently in style, you need to do it cohesively with the whole truck body, and not just the front. I think the Lordstown Motors pickup looks nice too, but I'm uncertain about the in-hub motors until knowing more, and with all the stories who know where that offering is going to land...
Agree about those absolutely weird headlights. They could just as easily bought a custom headlight from way too many companies that would fit their design without going into the weird area.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They want a valuation of 80 BILLION for 48 000 SUV's ??? What's the math on that? Each Rivian is ' worth' 1.7 MILLION
Keep in mind they also have 100,000 Amazon vans on order too.

So half a million per pre order.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wish them luck but I'm surprised their pre-orders aren't higher, I mean there were more CT pre-orders in the first day after the CT reveal.
Tesla is a known brand. Not a ton of people going to commit 80k for an unknown car brand.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Rivian orders will pickup once they offer a Dual Motor version in 2022. They need to lower the price point to appeal to more buyers.
I see what you did there.

Maybe my comments sound a bit cynical, but I think Rivian's numbers are what you'd expect from a startup. I'm not sure they justify the $89b valuation, but time will tell.

I'm pretty conflicted about Rivian. It's an oddball mix of startup, old money (Ford), and new money (Amazon). The truck has a lot of things going for it, but it's really priced for perfection.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Rivian: "We had about 48,390 preorders for our R1T pickup trucks and R1S SUVs in the United States and Canada as of last month."
Tesla: "Hold my beer and watch this."

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Are you saying a single motor version will handle typical off-roading where you need 4WD? The only way to do this with a single motor is to use the typical driveshaft and transfer case. Dual motors get rid of this, leaving lots of room for batteries instead of the stupid driveshaft tunnel. You're in BC where you need 4/AWD definitely through the winter just to stay on typical roads.
I'm saying people wanting an off road truck won't wait for the dual motor over a quad motor - the dual makes no practical sense for the application.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
It's strange, but nobody has mentioned the Jeep Gladiator pick-up. I would think the Rivan would be a direct competitor to the Gladiator. And the R1S is competing against all the luxury SUV's, Land Rover being one of them.