Rivian Reverses Price Bump for Pre-orders before March 1

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
I only want the best for Rivian and all ev makers, but a blood bath is coming to their stock price. I hope they have enough cash reserves to keep losing on every truck they make for quite a while.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hopefully Tesla won't charge $6750 for a BBQ
There won’t be a BBQ even though they showed several possible options. That would be a third-party feature, I am sure, like a rack, camper, or trailer.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I’m a Cybertruck, Lightning and R1T reservation holder. My #1 choice is the CT but I hedged my BEV pickup bets in case Tesla prices the CT into the stratosphere.

I will probably reinstate my R1T order with Rivian after cancelling after the recent price hike. My lightly optioned R1T Explore trim went from $72.5k to almost $89k. At $67.5k the original pricing was an excellent value for a 835 hp Quad Motor BEV pickup with McLaren inspired adjustable air suspension. The Explore models with the standard 319 mile range battery pack will not start production until 2023. By that time Cybertruck specs and MSRP’s will be updated on the website. I will make my BEV pickup choice towards the end of 2022.

I can assure you that the futuristic Cybertruck will be a premium priced BEV pickup. The lowest priced model, the Dual Motor, will most likely start in the $70k range and won’t be available at first. With the huge demand for the CT Tesla is not under any MSRP pressure and will sell every truck they can build.

The Quad motor will most likely take up the entire first year of production. My best guess is that the Quad Motor MSRP will hover around $85-90k. It won’t be until 2024-2025 that Tesla will start production of the “entry level” Dual Motor since the Single and Tri will most likely be dropped. By that time almost 4-years will have passed since the reveal In 2019. A $49,900 Dual Motor? Reservation holders can plan on a 20% price increase by the time production begins.

The exciting news? 2023 will be the year of the Cybertruck!!! CT’s will be rolling out of the TX assembly plant, loaded onto car haulers and taken to Tesla delivery centers around the country.

Last edited:

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
There won’t be a BBQ even though they showed several possible options. That would be a third-party feature, I am sure, like a rack, camper, or trailer.

It will BYOFDTFT - Bring your own food, drinks, transportation, fun and toilet paper

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
Based on reveal prices 500 mile range is/was a $20,000 option for the CT
You are absolutely correct.
I know nothing about batteries, so I’m assuming here... there is not a 1 to 1 relationship when it comes to range. The method to increase from 100 miles to 200 miles is not the same solution as to increase from 400 to 500 miles. Many are claiming 400, few boast of 500, and we here at the funny farm think we may have seen leak of 600. I know range is ‘everything’.
On a good day, my ice truck goes 1000 miles on a tank - but I only paid a couple hundred dollars for that. I’m really not sure what I will pay for range extension when it is offered, if anything but keep my dual motor as is.

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
I’m a Cybertruck, Lightning and R1T reservation holder. My #1 choice is the CT but I hedged my BEV pickup bets in case Tesla prices the CT into the stratosphere.

I will probably reinstate my R1T order with Rivian after cancelling after the recent price hike. My lightly optioned R1T Explore trim went from $72.5k to almost $89k. At $67.5k the original pricing was an excellent value for a 835 hp Quad Motor BEV pickup with McLaren inspired adjustable air suspension. The Explore models with the standard 319 mile range battery pack will not start production until 2023. By that time Cybertruck specs and MSRP’s will be updated on the website. I will make my BEV pickup choice towards the end of 2022.

I can assure you that the futuristic Cybertruck will be a premium priced BEV pickup. The lowest priced model, the Dual Motor, will most likely start in the $70k range and won’t be available at first. With the huge demand for the CT Tesla is not under any MSRP pressure and will sell every truck they can build.

The Quad motor will most likely take up the entire first year of production. My best guess is that the Quad Motor MSRP will hover around $85-90k. It won’t be until 2024-2025 that Tesla will start production of the “entry level” Dual Motor since the Single and Tri will most likely be dropped. By that time almost 4-years will have passed since the reveal In 2019. A $49,900 Dual Motor? Reservation holders can plan on a 20% price increase by the time production begins.

The exciting news? 2023 will be the year of the Cybertruck!!! CT’s will be rolling out of the TX assembly plant, loaded onto car haulers and taken to Tesla delivery centers around the country.
I hope you are wrong about a 70k dm but you were smart enough to preorder all of the trucks so i will just grimace and bide my time.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You are absolutely correct.
I know nothing about batteries, so I’m assuming here... there is not a 1 to 1 relationship when it comes to range. The method to increase from 100 miles to 200 miles is not the same solution as to increase from 400 to 500 miles. Many are claiming 400, few boast of 500, and we here at the funny farm think we may have seen leak of 600. I know range is ‘everything’.
On a good day, my ice truck goes 1000 miles on a tank - but I only paid a couple hundred dollars for that. I’m really not sure what I will pay for range extension when it is offered, if anything but keep my dual motor as is.
For range, you're fighting two things: Volume and weight. In an ICE, you can just double your tanks and all you're paying for is an empty bubble of steel. It's cheap. And then the gas weighs six pounds a gallon... But BEV needs a battery. A battery to push a Cybertruck a mile probably weighs five pounds! (This is taking Model 3 battery weight/kWh numbers. Tesla plans to beat this, of course.)

So you can see how it becomes a problem fast!

That's why Tesla is working on the structural battery cell - less steel needed for structure means more battery cells they can put in for the same weight and volume.

-Crissa

(And why Tesla didn't consider the LFP batteries for the Cybertruck initial release. The LFP batteries are about 30% bigger. Mostly in volume, but partly in weight.)

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
For range, you're fighting two things: Volume and weight. In an ICE, you can just double your tanks and all you're paying for is an empty bubble of steel. It's cheap. And then the gas weighs six pounds a gallon... But BEV needs a battery. A battery to push a Cybertruck a mile probably weighs five pounds! (This is taking Model 3 battery weight/kWh numbers. Tesla plans to beat this, of course.)

So you can see how it becomes a problem fast!

That's why Tesla is working on the structural battery cell - less steel needed for structure means more battery cells they can put in for the same weight and volume.

-Crissa

(And why Tesla didn't consider the LFP batteries for the Cybertruck initial release. The LFP batteries are about 30% bigger. Mostly in volume, but partly in weight.)
Good analogy Crissa. In ICE trucks, all you do to add range is add more capacity.

Also, that $20,000 buys more than just range. On the original specs. It is one more motor and a massive jump in performance. Look at the price of a Plaid vs. LR Models S. Or for that matter any time you increase performance in any vehicle. Probably different suspension and brakes too. No telling what all the differences are, between the original $50,000 dual motor, and the $70,000 Tri motor. One thing for certain, it's not just more range.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, each tier up adds motors, batteries, and profit for Tesla. (Because those paying more are less price sensitive than those paying less.)

But most of it is battery.

Another reason the battery is tied with the tiers of motors is because more battery is required to get those motors' additional performance. There's this thing called 'voltage sag' when a battery is under load, and more motors means more load. In that way, a battery under load by motors is analogous to motors pushing more load weight. A smaller battery would sag more and potentially damage itself.

-Crissa

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
I think the other factor in range is efficiency. I believe the CT is going to be more efficient than R1T. Between aerodynamics, CT not being a brick the way other trucks are, and Tesla's lead in building efficient powertrains, the CT DM will be able to have a smaller battery pack and achieve about the same range as the quad Rivian. I also think the CT is going to have a much better charging curve than R1T, which combined with better efficiencies will reduce charging time on road trips (relative to any other EV truck).

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I think the other factor in range is efficiency. I believe the CT is going to be more efficient than R1T. Between aerodynamics, CT not being a brick the way other trucks are, and Tesla's lead in building efficient powertrains, the CT DM will be able to have a smaller battery pack and achieve about the same range as the quad Rivian. I also think the CT is going to have a much better charging curve than R1T, which combined with better efficiencies will reduce charging time on road trips (relative to any other EV truck).
HAHAHA, and then there's the Hummer. This is from an article on "The Verge".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to GM’s test data, the Hummer EV will go 329 miles on a single charge with 212.7 kWh of usable energy in the battery. And it will consume energy at 47 MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent), which is the EPA’s unit of measurement for an EV’s energy consumption level to compare with gas-powered vehicles.

That’s 33 percent less than the Rivian R1T electric truck’s rating of 70 MPGe, as noted by Car & Driver. (A GMC spokesperson told the publication that it will not be displaying the Hummer EV’s MPGe number in the sticker window, as vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 lbs or more are not required to.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you add thoughts of charging is when things really go haywire with The Hummer. Think about how long it will take to charge up 80% of a 212 kwh battery on a road trip!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
CT is almost certain to charge faster than the Rivian
 likely very near twice as fast in terms of miles/ hour. The Rivian caps off at around 150 kW charge speed and tapers down from there fast.

I’m not sure how much more efficient the Cybertruck is going to be. I think it’ll be lighter, but it’s bigger which means it’ll have to make up for that difference by being that much more aero. So if it’s 10% bigger frontal area, it has to be 10% more efficient to beat it. Maybe? The weight difference will certainly help.

The size difference helps Rivian a bunch.

It’s almost certainly more efficient than the F-150.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When you add thoughts of charging is when things really go haywire with The Hummer. Think about how long it will take to charge up 80% of a 212 kwh battery on a road trip!
Going to be really interesting when all 4/5 trucks are out next year and we can compare them side to side in terms of charging speeds. I suspect the Cybertruck is going to crush it. The Model S Plaid is already pretty crazy good.
Sponsored