ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Rumor: 1st Tesla Cybertruck Owners Will Be Tesla Employees

August 12th, 2020 by Zachary Shahan

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: 1st Tesla Cybertruck Owners Will Be Tesla Employees 91121_tesla-cybertruck-event-elon-musk-KYLE-scaled

An apparent Tesla employee (since 2014) has noted on Twitter that Tesla employees will be the first to own a Tesla Cybertruck.

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: 1st Tesla Cybertruck Owners Will Be Tesla Employees Tesla-Cybertruck-Sold-to-Employees-First

This, in itself, is perhaps not a big surprise, since this was the case with at least some other Tesla models, including the Model 3. It gives Tesla a lot of opportunity to watch the vehicles more closely as they roll out of the factory, receive quick and open feedback (perhaps even under an NDA), and then quickly fix bugs, quirks or certain production issues.

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: 1st Tesla Cybertruck Owners Will Be Tesla Employees Tesla-Cybertruck-employee-bugs

What is particularly interesting about this news — assuming it’s valid — is that Tesla employees are already learning this. There is no indication, though, about whether they were invited to configure their Cybertrucks, and this source indicates there was no information on timing.

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: 1st Tesla Cybertruck Owners Will Be Tesla Employees Tesla-Cybertruck-production-schedule-unknow

Even if they were invited to configure, that may just be for Tesla employees in charge of planning the vehicle’s production lines and supply chain in order to get a sense of what buyers will actually confirm/order.

Also recall that on-Tesla employees didn’t start getting invites to configure the Model 3 until November 2017, several months after the Model 3 went into production on July 17 — or production hell, we might say.

At the moment, if you go to order a Cybertruck online, you see this notice right before the “Buy Now” button: “Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Single Motor RWD production is expected to begin in late 2022.” This was already pulled forward by one year.

So, don’t assume that the intel above from a Tesla employee means that the Cybertruck is coming any sooner. However, note that Model Y production started well ahead of schedule. We broke the news about the timeline being pulled forward months before Deutsche Bank, Reuters and others, and many did not believe it was possible, but then Tesla did actually get the Model Y to early buyers in March instead of fall 2020. We’ll keep open eyes and open ears about something similar happening with the Cybertruck.

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: 1st Tesla Cybertruck Owners Will Be Tesla Employees Tesla-Cybertruck-Production-Employees

As seen on https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/12/rumor-1st-tesla-cybertruck-owners-will-be-tesla-employees/
Sponsored

OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Not even sure this is news since this was my, and others, assumption all along but, I personally have no problem with this as I would prefer they work the bugs out on those vehicles first.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
Rumor: 1st Tesla Cybertruck Owners Will Be Tesla Employees

August 12th, 2020 by Zachary Shahan

91121_tesla-cybertruck-event-elon-musk-KYLE-scaled.jpg

An apparent Tesla employee (since 2014) has noted on Twitter that Tesla employees will be the first to own a Tesla Cybertruck.

Tesla-Cybertruck-Sold-to-Employees-First.png

This, in itself, is perhaps not a big surprise, since this was the case with at least some other Tesla models, including the Model 3. It gives Tesla a lot of opportunity to watch the vehicles more closely as they roll out of the factory, receive quick and open feedback (perhaps even under an NDA), and then quickly fix bugs, quirks or certain production issues.

Tesla-Cybertruck-employee-bugs.png

What is particularly interesting about this news — assuming it’s valid — is that Tesla employees are already learning this. There is no indication, though, about whether they were invited to configure their Cybertrucks, and this source indicates there was no information on timing.

Tesla-Cybertruck-production-schedule-unknown.png

Even if they were invited to configure, that may just be for Tesla employees in charge of planning the vehicle’s production lines and supply chain in order to get a sense of what buyers will actually confirm/order.

Also recall that on-Tesla employees didn’t start getting invites to configure the Model 3 until November 2017, several months after the Model 3 went into production on July 17 — or production hell, we might say.

At the moment, if you go to order a Cybertruck online, you see this notice right before the “Buy Now” button: “Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Single Motor RWD production is expected to begin in late 2022.” This was already pulled forward by one year.

So, don’t assume that the intel above from a Tesla employee means that the Cybertruck is coming any sooner. However, note that Model Y production started well ahead of schedule. We broke the news about the timeline being pulled forward months before Deutsche Bank, Reuters and others, and many did not believe it was possible, but then Tesla did actually get the Model Y to early buyers in March instead of fall 2020. We’ll keep open eyes and open ears about something similar happening with the Cybertruck.

Tesla-Cybertruck-Production-Employees.png

As seen on https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/12/rumor-1st-tesla-cybertruck-owners-will-be-tesla-employees/
Let's hope only the "Hooligan Employeees" are selected first to receive and to drive the CT hard. That way the first "Bugs" will be quickly exposed and corrected before we get ours.

Yakuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Datsun
Country flag
Good! Let them iron out the bugs. I know the CT will be simpler to make but it will have issues like any new vehicle. In house people finding those first works for me!

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Not surprising at all

OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
They might have sent out an internal letter soliciting employees to buy/test the truck.

But yeah, this is kinda expected but hardly confirmed by an anonymous tweet ^-^

-Crissa
This source has apparently supplied information before and has said they have worked for Telsa since 2014....not sure why anyone would lie about that? They also have some pretty credible Tesla community folks following them so, hope that adds to the credibility a bit...

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Great perk for Tesla employees! The assembly line employees are making around $18-21 an hour. It must be management/engineering employees posting Tweets about purchasing a Cybertruck.

Last edited:

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
I had Tesla Energy install solar and wall battery at my house and talking with the guys installing the equipment said they would get their CT first as an employee. Each guy ordered multiple to sell to family members. BTW, it's taken 9 months to get Tesla Energy to install their product........beware of the non existence of communication and workers. 20k for 3700wh and 1 Wall. just putting it out there.

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
Employees who order the CT should get theirs first and I am fine with that. regarding Bugs and other issues for the early released CT, not an issue for me. Tesla are great of taking care of there warranty. I own a Model S and all my warranty were taken care of. I know the battery pack for the CT will be SUPER because my 2013 MS 85 have 120k miles and only lost 8% of charge. Can't wait for my CT Tri-Motor!

Last edited:

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Cybertruck production ramp-up will be even bigger "production hell" than Model 3 was

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Cybertruck production ramp-up will be even bigger "production hell" than Model 3 was
I don't think so. Part of that production hell was trying to fit M3 production into an already built factory and being the first high production rate they tried. They seem to be doing well with the MY now and that will only improve with the next couple of factories.

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
I don't think so. Part of that production hell was trying to fit M3 production into an already built factory and being the first high production rate they tried. They seem to be doing well with the MY now and that will only improve with the next couple of factories.
I agree. Tesla is getting better at manufacturing and the Cybertruck should be easier to manufacture.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Tesla is gaining vehicle manufacturing experience at an amazingly rapid rate. People forget that Tesla was founded in July 2003 by engineers Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning. The next three employees were Ian Wright, Elon Musk and J. B. Straubel (Founded Redwood Materials, a recycling company), all of whom were named as co-founders of the company. After the electric Roadster debuted in 2008, which is now appreciating as a collectible, The Model S came along in the summer of 2012. Tesla has roughly 8-years of experience manufacturing vehicles out of a prior GM plant that dates back to 1962. Less than a decade!

Tesla has come a long way and will finally have a Texas vehicle assembly plant that is state-of-the-art and will be constructed very efficiently using time saving prefabricated construction methods. I feel this plant will help put Tesla on the map for producing world class quality vehicles once it’s up and running.

Last edited:

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
My question is what % of Tesla employees become stockholders? If the percentage is high then Tesla vehicle ownership becomes a mutual benefit of working for Tesla. That means more than the 20% sales discount offered to MB employees.
Sponsored