Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Rumor: Tesla Plans to Start Production at Giga Texas with Cybertruck Using Structural Battery Pack & 4680 Cells

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tes...using-structural-battery-pack-with-4680-cells

July 19, 2021

The construction of Giga Texas is admirable. In just one year Tesla has made incredible progress and will probably start production in Texas even earlier than at Giga Berlin. Although Giga Texas had originally been slated to produce Model Y, it seems the company has adjusted its plans. The long-awaited Cybertruck, with a structural battery pack with 4680 cells, is rumored to be the first car to be produced at the new factory.

The first car to go into production at Giga Texas was to be Model Y. This was a smart plan as the popularity of the compact SUV continues to grow at a high rate, as shown by sales figures. Nevertheless, over the past six months, Tesla has been able to significantly increase the production of Model Y at its factories in the United States and in China. This allowed the company to begin partially meeting demand in various countries around the world.

Now a Troy Teslike/Twitter source has revealed that the first car model to be produced at Giga Texas will not be Model Y, but the iconic Cybertruck. Given Tesla's success in ramping up Model Y production, as well as the incredibly rapid growing number of orders for Cybertruck, starting with the steel pickup truck is a smarter move. Of course, keep in mind that all of the manufacturing processes for Cybertruck's production are completely new, and the team will work slowly before they can gain enough experience for faster production. During this time, a production line for Model Y could be put into operation, so while production of the pickup truck may start earlier, the actual mass production of Model Y could be ahead of Cybertruck.

Another interesting piece of information shared by Troy Teslike is that Cybertruck will be built with a structural battery pack using 4680 battery cells that will be manufactured in Texas. The use of 4680 battery cells for Cybertruck makes a lot of sense, as the car needs more advanced battery cells than the lighter and more compact Model Y. The production launch at Giga Texas will be a momentous event that will have a huge impact on Tesla's development.

Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If you so desperately need that email I can send it to you.
But you will not believe me anyway :cool:
If you send an email, I will file a motion in court for Tesla to honor it. Plan B, send cookies.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
CT batch delivery will be in April next year at the soonest and July at the latest.
Would please try to list sources when you say things like this?

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Is "I pulled it out of my ___" a source?

Lots of people willing to toss down strong statements about production dates, based on little to no evidence.
They are all wrong. I know for a fact that the first truck will roll off the production line on May 14, 2022. Elon told me. ;)

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
They are all wrong. I know for a fact that the first truck will roll off the production line on May 14, 2022. Elon told me. ;)
Specificity is what it is all about. Source and accuracy is way overrated.

p.s. The beauty of being in back of the line is that when they start has less impact on me than ramp up and max production rate.

Last edited:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
But I heard from my cousin's neighbor's Aunt, who is besties with Elon's Mom, that it's actually on May 13th....

DUH

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Actually first ones will be built in August 2021 and employees get them in Sept 2021. Yes that's in a month or so!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Actually first ones will be built in August 2021 and employees get them in Sept 2021. Yes that's in a month or so!
Trying to suss out if you are attempting to be serious here.

With the Model S Plaid, people started seeing a few of them driving around months before launch. So what you suggest would not be too far out of the question.

Seems like low volume 4860 production is possible now, so the big hold up for prototype assembly models seems to be the gigapress. They might have something set up to work around that too. Maybe crank a few custom bits out of a CNC machine.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Trying to suss out if you are attempting to be serious here.

With the Model S Plaid, people started seeing a few of them driving around months before launch. So what you suggest would not be too far out of the question.

Seems like low volume 4860 production is possible now, so the big hold up for prototype assembly models seems to be the gigapress. They might have something set up to work around that too. Maybe crank a few custom bits out of a CNC machine.
8000 ton press is about to arrive at giga Texas. They install it in about 1 week and it's literally off to the presses. No I don't have any knowledge other than what has been reported by Elon. First production in 4th quarter 2021.
Sponsored