Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hello Cybertruck Owners Club!
Welcome to the forum.

I wanted to discuss the possible reasoning for Tesla maybe shifting the Austin TX focus from the Model Y production to the Cybertruck production. I believe Tesla wants to begin with this amazing new truck. I think, Tesla wants this truck out on the streets. Tesla relies on News coverage as well as word of mouth advertising. Having actual Cybertruck's on the streets is great for Tesla and the Cybertruck.
What do you think?

I hope we are correct and that the Cybertruck production begins as soon as possible.
I suspect they are trying to bring both lines up as quickly as possible. Unless there is some critical resource shortage, they will bring then online in the order they are complete. This means it's likely the Model Y starts first.

If they are forced to choose one by some resource shortage; and they have what they need to fire the Cybertruck production line up. I agree that they would probably choose to bring the Cybertruck online first. That's a lot of conditionals in there.

Some truth to this, however their strategy has not been marketing focused, it’s all about the product performance and innovation.
... Tesla is very marketing focused. Musk is just exceptionally good at getting marketing for free rather than paying for it. The way he dribbles out announcements in bits and pieces to keep the company and its products in the news is damned near showmanship.

Totally agree that the Cybertruck is laser targeting bang for the buck. Some of their other models I'd dispute that, but the Cybertruck is definitely "equal or greater economic value".
Sponsored

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I am now officially confirming this rumor based on solid innuendo. Cybertruck is the number one priority at Giga Austin.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag

CYBER PARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
[引述=“fritter 63,POST:59930,会员:1510”]
当你说这样的话时,请试着列出消息来源好吗?
[/引述]

Tesla Cybertruck Rumor: Cybertruck (Not Model Y) Will Kick Off Production at Gigafactory Texas & Use Structural Battery Pack w/ 4680 Battery Cells CT-44

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
当你说这样的话时,请试着列出消息来源好吗?
[/引述]

CT-44.jpg
Why are you posting something with incorrect data in other lines and claiming it's accurate about the only line anyone on this forum cares about?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
当你说这样的话时,请试着列出消息来源好吗?
[/引述]

CT-44.jpg
I think it's safe to say that very few of us read Chinese here, and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that you post in English, on a forum geared towards a truck that currently has no plans of being released in China.

CYBER PARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
Next April is the expected time for mass production delivery, but it is likely to be delayed until July next year.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Where do you guys think is the weak link? What most likely to cause delay?

Sinton’s steel rolls?
8000 lb casting machine?
4680?
Structure of the factory itself?
Regulations?
………
I saw this

Tesla Semi electric truck is finally about to go into production
https://electrek.co/2021/07/20/tesla-semi-electric-truck-finally-go-into-production/

This is at Giga 1. The Tesla semi uses 4680s (
Tesla Semi is ready for production, but they need the 4680 cells, says Elon Musk
Fred Lambert - Jan. 28th 2021). [That's twice in one post I've quoted Elektrek.co, something must be in the coffee today.]

So back to your question... If they have enough 4680s for Semis and they aren't going in the Plaid or the Y, does that mean they have enough for CT line qualification? I'm guessing yes. I'm going to answer F) all of the above but at different times to differing degrees. I'm going to guess - reaching deep into that opinion hole - that limiters will show up in this order.

Press, factory, regulations (not factory but NTSB type stuff), steel rolls, 4680s. My over/under for first CT off the line is actually October. Will that CT see the light of day? Probably end up crashed into a wall or disassembled for QA/QC as well as the next 50. (We're digging deep into the opinions now.) I can see a handful of a day of production ready CT through November with scaling through December. I'm guessing emails for final spec and purchase early November as well.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I saw this

Tesla Semi electric truck is finally about to go into production
https://electrek.co/2021/07/20/tesla-semi-electric-truck-finally-go-into-production/

This is at Giga 1. The Tesla semi uses 4680s (
Tesla Semi is ready for production, but they need the 4680 cells, says Elon Musk
Fred Lambert - Jan. 28th 2021). [That's twice in one post I've quoted Elektrek.co, something must be in the coffee today.]

So back to your question... If they have enough 4680s for Semis and they aren't going in the Plaid or the Y, does that mean they have enough for CT line qualification? I'm guessing yes. I'm going to answer F) all of the above but at different times to differing degrees. I'm going to guess - reaching deep into that opinion hole - that limiters will show up in this order.

Press, factory, regulations (not factory but NTSB type stuff), steel rolls, 4680s. My over/under for first CT off the line is actually October. Will that CT see the light of day? Probably end up crashed into a wall or disassembled for QA/QC as well as the next 50. (We're digging deep into the opinions now.) I can see a handful of a day of production ready CT through November with scaling through December. I'm guessing emails for final spec and purchase early November as well.
The pilot line for the 4680s has been running for well over 6-9 months now. Even with some failed cells produced I would not be surprised at all if there is a hefty stock pile of production passing cells accumulated. Being there is zero use at this stage for those batteries, I wouldn't think that the cells are going to be the bottle neck for the initial rollout of the CT's given the ramp up speed of the line that is going to be needed anyhow. In fact, I would even bet that the cells will ramp up in speed at nearly the same pace as the CT does thus not being a bottleneck at all for the CT. I could be wrong and my whole premise could be a flop of a projection. :)

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Not to burst bubbles, but despite all the rumors Model Y will be first at Austin. They cant keep up with demand for it at Freemont now. They already have the lines perfected and would be easy to replicate to another location.

CT is going to be a all new process to build and lines to develop. Yes they are already working on this but it's not as ready to go as another Model Y line would be.

The Giga presses are already cranking out model Y castings. So far we have seen no evidence the 8000 ton Giga press require for CT castings is even in place yet.
Sponsored