Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Volt, 2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If it is true, I think it is great news! One motor driving each wheel is even better news! It just gets better all the time.
Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
I'm hoping that my TriMotor version will give way to a QuadMotor like Rivian's. That would be very awesome!!

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yeah? But before we continue to believe the RWD will have 2 motors can someone get a definitive source of that "fact." And if not where did the rumor come from?

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Now I have a reservation for each of the three motor options.
Why?
Well if the 1 motor is now a 2 motor what are the specs gonna be> And then if the 2 motor was 1 in the back and 1 in the front then are they going to have a different manufacturing sequence for the 1 motor rear, 1 motor front model in the rear? Are they going to use the same size motor in the rear so now you won't have more energy in the wheels than the 2 rear motor edition? And what about the 3 motor? If the AWD 2 motor is now a AWD 3 motoredtion then the 3 motor model has to go to 4 motors...
And so I dropped a dollar on all three versions so I can pick which I want based on whatever becomes the final editions.
I understand if the info on the 1 motor RWD model was incorrect and it stays a 1 motor RWD on delivery that nothing will change. But if they do change it up it will be amusing to see how those not holding reservations for each and every configuration will wish they had...
I can see each of the reservations getting an upgrade of a motor that have reserved a place, but NOT being allowed to go up or down the line deciding on which edition they want based on the new configurations and prices(if you weren't locked in).

Cyberpartyboy21

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Buick Enclave
Occupation
Soon to be retired
Country flag
It makes total sense to have two rear motors for pulling torque. I just couldn't see the RWD having enough pulling power and if it did, it would seemingly be way over stressed and require serious cooling. We all knew these things would change slightly as the Cybertruck evolved into production. The last thing they would want is major mechanical issues from the buyers that intend on using them to their limits.

joshuaeshore

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, Expedition
Occupation
Polysomnographer
Country flag
I can't say much mostly because I don't know much. What I can tell you is this week I was on conference and spoke with someone "in the know" who assured me that the RWD Variant will be 2 motor, one on each wheel.

He said that from everything he has seen by the design team, there would be no single motor Cybertruck.

To be clear - there will still be a $39,990 RWD Cybertruck, but it will have 2 motors on the rear axle.

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
I’m not familiar with the axle configuration, but the competition is moving towards one motor per wheel, so Id expect Tesla to eventually be a bonkers version of one per wheel.
I preordered dual motor awd but honestly when it comes time I’m probably going tri motor and dumping two of my current vehicles instead of one.
I imagine the mechanics and electrics (while maintaining a frunk and skateboard design and needing a differential) is complicated. Everything has to be flat or in the wheel wells. The wheels have to turn at different speeds when turning. The car has to be balanced. I can see why 1 motor per wheel makes sense.

I went from 1M to 2M on my reservation after talking to a fellow CT reservation holder (and Model X owner). Then a month later when towing heavy with my F250 and watching EGTs climb to unacceptable levels, my waste gate making odd sounds, and my diesel slowing up numerous hills in the TX hill country (towing 14,000 pounds), and spending about 100 in diesel in a weekend running around towing, I decided to go all in on the 3M. I could get a $30,000 tow vehicle for the difference in price of the 1M and the 3M but I'm tired of keeping 2-3 vehicles on the road. I cannot wait to continue to learn about the awesomeness as Elon alluded to.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
SILLY GOOSE...
"tri" means three to a side so 6 motors....
The 5 motor is in the works though.... an inboard boat motor.
WHOOPS! i guess my mathing wasn't quite right

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
I’m not familiar with the axle configuration, but the competition is moving towards one motor per wheel, so Id expect Tesla to eventually be a bonkers version of one per wheel.
I preordered dual motor awd but honestly when it comes time I’m probably going tri motor and dumping two of my current vehicles instead of one.
Semi will have 4. 1 on each wheel

What technology does it have?
The Tesla Semi is powered by four electric motors from the Model 3 sedan. Each is controlled independently. Sensors will automatically adjust the motors to correct for pitch, yaw and traction. Two 15-inch touchscreen displays mounted on either side of the driver will provide access to navigation, blind-spot monitoring, telematics, maintenance and fleet management systems. Cameras mounted outside the cab provide surround view.
Sponsored