RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
Musk being on the earnings call yesterday was interesting due to all the Twitter goings on. Many thought he'd sit this one out but he made a clear statement that the Cybertruck will reach full production status in 2023. With the Giga factories quickly ramping up, he has good reason for his optimism. Elon has stated many times that the Cybertruck is Tesla's statement vehicle and the highest performance model will be his personal drive. That model be the best performer of any true high volume production truck. Like many here, I want good real world mileage (300+) and decent performance (by Tesla standards 0-60, <5 sec).

I have very high confidence that the CT will be available when I need it (mid 2024) and if it comes sooner, all the better. Like the other models, there will be several variants with different price points. Build cost and demand will determine final pricing and I believe they will be close to the original prices with some inflation adjustments which of course will depend upon the economy at that point.

It's all good folks and as a happy Tesla owner, I can't wait for the Cybertruck to be squeezed into my garage. :cool:
Sponsored

JollyRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, Mini-Cooper S Cab
Country flag
I don't think there will be a lot of European interest in the Cybertruck
How do you imagine "Europe"? Like Sweden and Switzerland is the same because they both make chocolate and beer? Or Europe is like Paris? You think Finland and Portugal are the same?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
In 2023, Tesla wants 4680 cells for the Model Y, the Cybertruck, the Semi, and the Roadster.

Trying to produce 100,000 Quad Motor Cybertruck’s with 200+ kWh of cells is a huge strain on resources.

Pushing out 100,000 Dual Motor Cybertrucks with 115-140 kWh of cells? That is a much easier ask.

I’ve long thought one of Musks big goals with the Cybertruck is to put the fear of god into legacy auto. Pushing out a $90k+ luxury truck wouldn’t do that. Pushing out 100,000 electric trucks at $60,000 or less absolutely would.

That moves the Cybertruck from “Interesting Niche” into a full on existential threat.

Of course… Musk said quad was first so *shrug*.
I would be willing to bet that with current production capabilities of batteries, Freemont, Nevada, Giga Texas... there won't be a huge constraint there. Sure, there may be enough of a constraint to slow production of the CT. So, which should they sell first? A Cybertruck with a lower cell count makes sense because they could make more trucks. However, the higher price point makes sense because they would make more profit per vehicle. This also has the advantage of being more acceptable when they slowly ramp up production. It'd make more sense to the public if Tesla made the pricier, more elite version first.

PLUS, Tesla doesn't want to push out the slower/lower range version and have to say "I know Ford and Chevy and Rivian and Stellantis have faster and longer range trucks than we do but you just wait a year or two..." No, Tesla would rather say "See? We have the most capable, fastest, most bad-add truck on the market. There is no competition. Now, we'll start making some lower range models for people who don't need all the power and range. But, don't you forget, we still make the fastest truck out there!"

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you imagine "Europe"? Like Sweden and Switzerland is the same because they both make chocolate and beer? Or Europe is like Paris? You think Finland and Portugal are the same?
I don't imagine Europe as much as visit there quite often although not since Covid. Good for Sweden for following the American lead and finally building an ICE based pickup truck to replace the little beauty pictured below. Well done Sweden ... ;-)

Rather than debate this, lets see if Giga Berlin will be making the Cybertruck. That would be a good indication that Tesla believes the European market Is viable for the CT.

Tesla Cybertruck @SawyerMerrit discussed new CyberTruck model lineup: base, mid, tri, quad, plaid Volvo-Offered-a-Pickup-Truck-from-1949-to-1960

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
PLUS, Tesla doesn't want to push out the slower/lower range version and have to say "I know Ford and Chevy and Rivian and Stellantis have faster and longer range trucks than we do but you just wait a year or two..." No, Tesla would rather say "See? We have the most capable, fastest, most bad-add truck on the market. There is no competition. Now, we'll start making some lower range models for people who don't need all the power and range. But, don't you forget, we still make the fastest truck out there!"
People want to plug all sorts of things into Tesla’s motivations, but they release what makes sense at the time to Tesla. The new Model Y isn’t the fastest compact SUV, even the Performance Y is slower than the Taycan. But it is the *best* compact SUV out there with the least compromises.

Similarly, the Lucid has longer range than the Model S.

Tesla doesn’t need to beat every aspect of every truck to win this game. They need to produce the best all around truck and they need to produce more of them than anyone else. The dual motor Cybertruck hits that mark. As does the tri motor Cybertruck.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
To a degree, automakers would be tearing their hair out.

Past metrics are not working .. Tesla is doing an Apple, and legacy hasn't really come across that. The only thing that may come close is the model T disrupting carriage production.

Tesla's popularity has curtailed their traditional ways to fight back. Their efforts are not getting the results...
They are obviously trying hard, trying everything. But the sales chart is giving them zero love. It must be frustrating and scaring the hell out of them.

Ibrahim

First Name
Ibrahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat altea xl
Country flag
I don't imagine Europe as much as visit there quite often although not since Covid. Good for Sweden for following the American lead and finally building an ICE based pickup truck to replace the little beauty pictured below. Well done Sweden ... ;-)

Rather than debate this, lets see if Giga Berlin will be making the Cybertruck. That would be a good indication that Tesla believes the European market Is viable for the CT.

Volvo-Offered-a-Pickup-Truck-from-1949-to-1960.jpg

Anyway it is well written on the tesla Europe site that we can also pre-order the cybertruck. Admittedly, we won't have the cybertruck when production is released (initially it's the Americans with the giga factory Texas) and I'm sure that for us Europeans, the cybertruck will be produced at the giga factory Berlin by after which makes sense. Exporting the cybertruck by boat to Europe will not be profitable at all because the cost of transport, not to mention the risks with this type of transport, would for my part be an increase in the price of the cybertruck and which in the end will be inaccessible for customers. wanting to own one. In short, if we Europeans can't have the cybertruck, I don't think Tesla would have offered a pre-order for us. Thank you

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
People want to plug all sorts of things into Tesla’s motivations, but they release what makes sense at the time to Tesla. The new Model Y isn’t the fastest compact SUV, even the Performance Y is slower than the Taycan. But it is the *best* compact SUV out there with the least compromises.

Similarly, the Lucid has longer range than the Model S.

Tesla doesn’t need to beat every aspect of every truck to win this game. They need to produce the best all around truck and they need to produce more of them than anyone else. The dual motor Cybertruck hits that mark. As does the tri motor Cybertruck.
Really? (bold above)

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyway it is well written on the tesla Europe site that we can also pre-order the cybertruck. Admittedly, we won't have the cybertruck when production is released (initially it's the Americans with the giga factory Texas) and I'm sure that for us Europeans, the cybertruck will be produced at the giga factory Berlin by after which makes sense. Exporting the cybertruck by boat to Europe will not be profitable at all because the cost of transport, not to mention the risks with this type of transport, would for my part be an increase in the price of the cybertruck and which in the end will be inaccessible for customers. wanting to own one. In short, if we Europeans can't have the cybertruck, I don't think Tesla would have offered a pre-order for us. Thank you
Did you pre-order a CT? Made in China Tesla's went to Europe and the US demonstrates that shipping while slow and costly isn't out of the question. It's all about meeting demand and avoidance of tariffs. The fact that Giga Texas and Giga Berlin (smaller facility) opened at approx the same time with no mention of Cybertruck manufacturing in Berlin might be indicative of lower CT interest level in Europe. A quick look at the CT preorder list by location would reveal much. If Tesla Europe has a separate CT pre-order list that would be a good indicator.

I hate to quell your optimism but this article would indicate that there are some bumps in the road to a European Cybertruck.
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...ope-you-might-want-to-cancel-it-ar187308.html

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Did you pre-order a CT? Made in China Tesla's went to Europe and the US demonstrates that shipping while slow and costly isn't out of the question. It's all about meeting demand and avoidance of tariffs. The fact that Giga Texas and Giga Berlin (smaller facility) opened at approx the same time with no mention of Cybertruck manufacturing in Berlin might be indicative of lower CT interest level in Europe. A quick look at the CT preorder list by location would reveal much. If Tesla Europe has a separate CT pre-order list that would be a good indicator.
Tesla doesn't reveal that sort of thing normally. They use a global reservation system and have not said if they will export the trucks or build them at any place but GigaTexas.

-Crissa

Ibrahim

First Name
Ibrahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat altea xl
Country flag
yes of course I made the order. Indeed I heard rumors that the cybertruck could not be marketed in this form compared to the protections in the event of accident on the pedestrians. However, I remain optimistic. Only the future will tell us. In the near future the manufacturer Rivian intends to sell its pick-up in europe just like the ford f150 lightning, I think that Tesla will do everything to find as many customers as possible in europe in short we will see :).

Tesla Cybertruck @SawyerMerrit discussed new CyberTruck model lineup: base, mid, tri, quad, plaid IMG-20220417-WA0000

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Ibrahim
With over 1.2M reservation holders in the US, Tesla is not likely to modify the CT so that it can pass muster in Europe. At their current production rates and considering shipping costs and import tariffs, Rivian won't be an option for quite a while if ever. Ford is still miles away from mass producing anything EV so that will make EU distribution unlikely until they have production capability there. Sorry to piss in the corn flakes but it is what it is.

Tesla is the ONLY EV manufacturer that has its act together and the production capacity to mass produce well made car and truck EV's. The overwhelming demand for their vehicles makes them exceptional and miles ahead of any competition.
Sponsored