Meow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model Y
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Country flag
I am okay with this. I would love a Quad Motor version for offroading but might not be able to afford it. I will take a Tri-Motor with 500 miles. I want to get out of my gas-powered Wrangler asap. It is in fine shape but I am ready to be done with maintenance and fuel cost.

This is my guess as to the prices if announced in Nov 2019.

Base Dual - $40k
Mid Dual - $50k
Tri-Motor - $70k
Quad Motor - $90k
Plaid - $110k
I hope ?
Sponsored

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I still believe 2 models Dual and Quad (and just maybe a Plaid as a 3rd). With both the Dual and Quad having software locks with lower price points.

This does 2 things. It allows them to simplify manufacturing. Upsell to the same customer down the road once they get a taste for all that goodness.

Software locks can include features such as 4 wheel steer, range, towing capacity, acceleration, AWD, etc.

Providing hardware into a vehicle that was not purchased is nothing new for Tesla to do. Example: rear heated seats or FSD as an example.

Going this route allows Tesla to hit the original specs at the original price points (or close to it) yet provides them a path to recoup the costs shortly later down the road. This also keeps the customers 100% happy and perhaps 120% happy later if they upgrade their vehicle without the need to completely rebuy.

Yes it would have additional costs to Tesla to sell a vehicle with more equipment than the owner purchased, but some of that is subsidized by not spending the time and costs to retool the lines to create the other variants. The additional costs Tesla would have to absorb would only be for the single motor variant (~7%) and the Tri motor (~40%) of the reserves. This is before taking into account I would guess that of the Tri motor reserves, a lot of those folks would upfront upgrade to the Quad anyhow. Also take into account the cost difference between the single to dual and the tri to the Quad does not reflect Tesla's cost which could be significantly lower. IMO and as an example going from a Single motor reserve to Dual only represents 2 (confirmed) upgrades with 1 extra motor and 50 miles of range. That will not cost Tesla 10k extra to manufacture. I can't comment on the Tri to Quad as we have ZERO info on the quad or its specs but I would imagine again its not going to cost them much more as well. Personally and without evidence I am not yet convinced that the 250 mile single and the 300 mile dual motor variants will even have a differing battery pack. 50 extra miles of range could be had possibly from extra regen and more efficient battery usage under acceleration by having a second motor.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I need to be able to drive 2 to 3 hours into remote areas in Canadian winter with no chargers nearby, then still have power to get home. 500 mile battery is the ONLY battery that makes sense for me.
I won’t be quite so far out in the great white north, but for similar reasons the range on my Model y just isn’t enough. I’d probably be ok with 420 miles or so. But unfortunately won’t really know until I get it.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
I have road tripped my Model Y LR enough to say that with home charging and the Supercharger network, I'd be perfectly happy with a 300 mile range CT. Bump that to 400 and that would be nice but not essential. People who don't own a Tesla and or don't have home charging are prone to anticipatory range anxiety (please refer to my signature line). Tesla will make the Cybertruck and it will have a reasonably priced variant. Most people don't want a 7,000 lb truck with 0-60 in 2 seconds and no one needs it ...

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
How many Cybertrucks can Tesla produce from Super HEAVY B-4 + SN20 Starhip?

Now there’s an item! Add pedigree onto blockchain authenticity. Throw in a unique 1 of 69 certification NFT with every one sold.

What’s that package worth? Send proceeds above MRSP to Ukraine.

jwillis84

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RWD
Country flag
Little back of the napkin.. guesswork here.

The Cybertruck was 'conceived' with the 2170 cells before the 4680 hit the roadmap.

So with a 300 mile range off a 2170, and a little reserve, after the 4680 was introduced with a x5 energy density.. that reduced the space requirements for the "filled" battery pack by at least 1/2.. meaning.. an extended range could easily cover twice the range without a major redesign. -- that is "if" Tesla offered it

If not, there is still the option of a single or more Powerwalls in the bed of the CT

Previous Powerwalls based on NCA 2170's will be just as dense as for the Performance vehicles.. so avoiding LFP Powerwalls.. should get you about the same x2 range if not more... I mean if Lucid can do it in their standard range.. Phfft.. easy peasy

the off the shelf flexibility will really depend on the power manifold, whether it allows a native hookup, or has to pass through some sort of recharge adaptor, or power to grid option.. which was in earlier models.. but disabled or removed for lack of use in the US.. but spotted in tear downs as still being there

recent world events.. might change some opinions on that at Tesla.. and for similar reasons might prioritize re-instating that feature, especially for foreign markets.. so why not the US and Canada?

I'm not saying you'll get 600 miles at the original price points.. but say a weekend REI rental you might be able to get the Uber Deluxe forklift installed extended range.. when you need it..

I'd be willing to bet.. plug sharing.. is an option they've been thinking long and hard about.. for example.. imagine a CT pulling up to a fully discharged vehicle and hooking up to share a charge.. to get it to the next charge point. Doing that efficently... implies a native hookup.. and boom.. Bob's your Uncle.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Little back of the napkin.. guesswork here.

The Cybertruck was 'conceived' with the 2170 cells before the 4680 hit the roadmap.
I think you are starting with a bad assumption here. Cybertruck was designed with the 4680 in mind. Tesla had the 4680 in their labs well before battery day and it’s almost certain that the way they were expecting to be able to achieve the price, weight, and range goals on the Cybertruck was with the 4680 cells.

Also, while it is true that the 4680 has 5x the energy of the 2170 cells, that is primarily because they have 5x the volume of the 2170. The actual energy density increase is not that significant until you take into account the fact that it’s used in a structural pack. At the pack level, the 5680 is about 15% lighter than the 2170 (rough guess) due primarily to fewer battery casings (the metal shells). At the vehicle level weight and range benefits are more significant because the pack helps make the vehicle more rigid and supports itself.

jwillis84

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RWD
Country flag
So your saying.. okay.. same thing.. but in a different way ?

Lol.. I had to chuckle at your reply.

Have a good Saturday night

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So your saying.. okay.. same thing.. but in a different way ?

Lol.. I had to chuckle at your reply.

Have a good Saturday night
What I’m saying is the Cybertruck is built with exactly the same battery technology they originally designed it for.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I have road tripped my Model Y LR enough to say that with home charging and the Supercharger network, I'd be perfectly happy with a 300 mile range CT. Bump that to 400 and that would be nice but not essential. People who don't own a Tesla and or don't have home charging are prone to anticipatory range anxiety (please refer to my signature line). Tesla will make the Cybertruck and it will have a reasonably priced variant. Most people don't want a 7,000 lb truck with 0-60 in 2 seconds and no one needs it ...
It’s the towing. I think a lot of people looking at the CT plan to tow stuff and that kills the range. So they would need higher range to compensate. I am excited to see these self powered trailers coming out that will allow a lot of people to go that 300 mi range route for their daily driving and when they tow that self powered trailer will help them still get 300 mi.

Last edited:

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
It’s the towing. I think a lot of people looking at the CT plan to tow stuff and that kills the range. So they would need higher range to compensate. I am excited to see these self powered trailers coming out that will allow a lot of people to go that 300 mi range route for their daily driving and when they fail that self powered trailer still get 300 mi.
That's a good point but there will be an extended range CT version for that use case. I'm not planning on towing anything so 300+ is good enough.