KuMX

First Name
Ku
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model X
Country flag
Tesla will be displaying at the Detroit Auto Show (public days start next week on Sept 16) for the first time in many years and I think it's safe to expect that with the Cybertruck's imminent production launch there'll be at least one Cybertruck on display at the show.

Tesla Cybertruck See the Cybertruck at Detroit Auto Show starting 9/16. Tesla returning after multi-year boycott detroitshow
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The last time Tesla displayed at the Detroit Auto Show was in 2015. They quit participating to boycott Michigan's direct sales ban which makes it illegal for Tesla to sell cars in the state.

While part of me is sad that Tesla doesn't continue to boycott the show, I do think it shows just how good Tesla thinks their Cybertruck is. Like Elon said, it just might be their best product ever! They must want to rub it in Detroit's face, which I fully support because someone should try to wake their lazy, inefficient asses up!

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Just so I'm clear:

We *know* tesla is present at the show.

We separately *hope* but do not know if they will include a Cybertruck in the show.

Correct?
That's my takeaway.

Could be a model 3 refresh that shows up like the shows in Germany.

ninja6r

First Name
Ninja6r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, nissan leaf
Occupation
pass
Country flag
The last time Tesla displayed at the Detroit Auto Show was in 2015. They quit participating to boycott Michigan's direct sales ban which makes it illegal for Tesla to sell cars in the state.

While part of me is sad that Tesla doesn't continue to boycott the show, I do think it shows just how good Tesla thinks their Cybertruck is. Like Elon said, it just might be their best product ever! They must want to rub it in Detroit's face, which I fully support because someone should try to wake their lazy, inefficient asses up!
If they come with that attitude, they better beat the competition in all specs and price.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
If they come with that attitude, they better beat the competition in all specs and price.
I think that's the entire point of them showing up at the Detroit Show. Legacy auto is already shaking in their boots because volume truck sales are their bread and butter when it comes to profits. Oil companies and auto dealership chains are none too pleased either. Manufacturers of fuel injectors, alternators, fuel pumps, hoses and belts, spark plugs, oil filters, etc. are none too pleased either.

That's a big reason why you see so many comments about how the Cybertruck is not a "real" work truck, how it will be a flop, how its disqualified because it can't tow large loads over long distances effectively, how it's butt ugly, etc. When peoples profitable enterprises are threatened, they tend to lash out.

WormtownKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2013 F150
Occupation
Outside Sales
Country flag
Looks like they might be the only major North American automaker actually building cars that weekend. Why not strike while the enemy is sleeping (or decimated by a union strike).

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I think that's the entire point of them showing up at the Detroit Show. Legacy auto is already shaking in their boots because volume truck sales are their bread and butter when it comes to profits. Oil companies and auto dealership chains are none too pleased either. Manufacturers of fuel injectors, alternators, fuel pumps, hoses and belts, spark plugs, oil filters, etc. are none too pleased either.

That's a big reason why you see so many comments about how the Cybertruck is not a "real" work truck, how it will be a flop, how its disqualified because it can't tow large loads over long distances effectively, how it's butt ugly, etc. When peoples profitable enterprises are threatened, they tend to lash out.
This could be the first public showing of the Cybertruck, that would already steal all the spotlight in the entire show, and probably announce the delivery date at Detriot just to show the finger to big 3.

Deleted member 12560

Semi off-topic: The geniuses at the Miami Tourism Board had the brilliant idea of holding the Miami International Auto Show just before the Detroit Auto Show in the hopes of making it the first auto show in the new cycle. What they accomplished was making it the last show of the previous cycle and barely any automakers participate because they are gearing up for Detroit. I attended and the largest display was by Florida Power and Light with an internal track for BEV ride-alongs promoting their EV chargers (which are actually super reasonable albeit with the wrong connector - CCS not NACS).

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag
Just so I'm clear:

We *know* tesla is present at the show.

We separately *hope* but do not know if they will include a Cybertruck in the show.

Correct?
Why the heck would Tesla *not* display the Cybertruck at the auto show? This makes no logical sense.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that there will be a Cybertruck on display at the show.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Why the heck would Tesla *not* display the Cybertruck at the auto show? This makes no logical sense.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that there will be a Cybertruck on display at the show.
hey, I don’t really disagree that we might expect to see one

I just wanted clarity that the expectation was NOT based on any explicit assertion from Tesla or the show that there WOULD be one

that might change whether, for example, someone made travel plans on the *possibility* vs the *guarantee*

that said, I could tell you a number of reasons Tesla WOULDNT show a CT at that show occurring 9 days from now prior to having had an official CT launch event

If they were to have one, it would be blocked off an inaccessible - they aren’t going to let journalists crawl through and button-push a CT prior to its official release event
Sponsored