Self driving backing up when towing a trailer ?

EventHorizon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 BMW 740iL
Occupation
software engineer
Country flag
Now that FSD is imminent ... can any self driving vehicle handle auto backing up when towing a trailer ?

Naturally there is skant recorded data on this maneuver ... however with synthetic data Tesla could pull further ahead of competition with this feature
Sponsored

ZillaVilla

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
Magnetic wi-fi camera to put on the cak of your trailer to tie in to the vehicle camera system would be epic! Store it in a small compartment by the hitch where it charges.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Now that FSD is imminent ... can any self driving vehicle handle auto backing up when towing a trailer ?

Naturally there is skant recorded data on this maneuver ... however with synthetic data Tesla could pull further ahead of competition with this feature
Wouldn't that be awesome? I believe you are right that if they have a lot of video to train backing up it could be done with NNs. Of course, I would not be a great role model for this data as I am not so great backing up my trailer or boat.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Multiple decades??? No way. I'm not sure we are A decade away from FSD5. I'm only 90% sure we aren't less than a decade away from FSF level 5 (full self flying) in airliners (at least cargo)! I think we are less than a decade from replacing the right seat pilot with automation.

Tesla's under-recognized business is data acquisition and storage. Elon has discussed on multiple occasions that accidents per 100,000 miles driving are LOWER on autopilot than driving yourself, almost in half. And Tesla drivers are slightly better than the general population. How do they know? They have the data for Tesla cars, and the DOT publishes the rest of the country.

We have already started farming out our military to autonomous vehicles (drones) and we find them quite effective. AI and the increase in processor horsepower is causing logarithmic advances in FSD. Tesla just brought 10,000 H100 processors online, to add to the 10,000 A100 processors they already had running. the H100 is supposed to be 3x faster than the A100. So they have increased their processing ability FOUR FOLD! And they are beginning to add the Dojo processor to the mix. Add to that that we are still doubling speed every 18 months on average. FSD has gone from 300,000 lines of code to around 3,000. FSD will surpass human error rates in less than 3 years. The speed of acceleration on this is mind blowing.

FSD5 will be available much sooner than expected. Decades is a timeline for not much anymore. We are advancing a whole lot faster than you think.

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
Autopark is one of the most painful FSD processes to sit through. Trailer docking or AutoHitch might be the first cybertruck exclusive FSD module. I was surprised they don't have a least 2 cameras on the back of the truck to make this work.

Even the placement of the rear camera will be an issue if you are driving with the tailgate down (w/ dirtbikes, plywood, a couch etc).

Rear wheel steering should help with backing up trailers.

Tesla Cybertruck Self driving backing up when towing a trailer ? Screenshot 2023-08-30 135455

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I am very sorry to have to say this but you are completely full of it. For all of the things that I would like to see FSD improve at it is really very good at many things and going straight down any road it does in its sleep - so to speak.

The issues I have will likely be resolved with the kinds of changes they plan with V12, namely training the navigation part of the driving instead of trying to write rules to accommodate all of the conditions they need to respond to. For example, one of my pet peeves is FSD not recognizing and responding correctly to first responders and warning signs. But if it is trained using examples of, say windy roads, or police cars, or ambulences, or firetrucks, then it will do the right thing and my concerns will go away.

I have no idea when the powers that be will allow Level 5 autonomy. That is a policy and politics game. But I am pretty certain that Tesla FSD will be able to realize Level 4 autonomous functionality well within the current decade. This year I do not know, but by mid decade very likely.

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
If you don't think FSD has progressed try turning it off and driving w/ AutoPilot, it's day and night. I just got locked out for some reason (I was watching it drive at a curb and after it told me to take over it also locked me out for a week) otherwise I'd not want to use NoA

Doesn't the CT *have* stereo backup cameras?

Tesla Cybertruck Self driving backing up when towing a trailer ? Cybertruck-rear-cameras-backup-cameras

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
Even the slightly weird FSD 11.4.4 does a whole bunch of things extremely well, of course it also has some frustrating crazy issues, but it is a significant improvement from the early 10.2 era releases.
However, self parking does land in the slightly weird category where it kinda sorta works but fails more often. It’s definitely one of the weak areas in FSD/EAP.
Reversing a trailer seems to fall into the parking category, so it does seem logical for the CT to get the first version of it, should they be working on it. The big issue is seeing past the trailer.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If you don't think FSD has progressed try turning it off and driving w/ AutoPilot, it's day and night. I just got locked out for some reason (I was watching it drive at a curb and after it told me to take over it also locked me out for a week) otherwise I'd not want to use NoA

Doesn't the CT *have* stereo backup cameras?

Cybertruck-rear-cameras-backup-cameras.jpg
It did in the first prototype but there hasn’t been one since that showed 2 cameras at the license plate.

BeastSlayer

Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Ryder
Occupation
Chief Investment Officer of MyLooseChange
Country flag
I could envision this happening on Tesla semi with uniform trailer dimensions.

I sure don't see anyone able to design a FSD for trailer backing into a Yosemite campground.

Chris9702L

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Multiple decades??? No way. I'm not sure we are A decade away from FSD5. I'm only 90% sure we aren't less than a decade away from FSF level 5 (full self flying) in airliners (at least cargo)! I think we are less than a decade from replacing the right seat pilot with automation.

Tesla's under-recognized business is data acquisition and storage. Elon has discussed on multiple occasions that accidents per 100,000 miles driving are LOWER on autopilot than driving yourself, almost in half. And Tesla drivers are slightly better than the general population. How do they know? They have the data for Tesla cars, and the DOT publishes the rest of the country.

We have already started farming out our military to autonomous vehicles (drones) and we find them quite effective. AI and the increase in processor horsepower is causing logarithmic advances in FSD. Tesla just brought 10,000 H100 processors online, to add to the 10,000 A100 processors they already had running. the H100 is supposed to be 3x faster than the A100. So they have increased their processing ability FOUR FOLD! And they are beginning to add the Dojo processor to the mix. Add to that that we are still doubling speed every 18 months on average. FSD has gone from 300,000 lines of code to around 3,000. FSD will surpass human error rates in less than 3 years. The speed of acceleration on this is mind blowing.

FSD5 will be available much sooner than expected. Decades is a timeline for not much anymore. We are advancing a whole lot faster than you think.
Less than a decade away from replacing a FO? No way, I’m an FO and there is no way airlines will go to with only one pilot.

StarmanM3

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3 LR AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Maybe they will finally fix the Phantom Braking problem will all those processors.
and the windshield wipers coming on randomly,
and the driving on the centerline when going around corners in FSD.
and finally have the ability to see pedestrians with any consistency
and……

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Maybe they will finally fix the Phantom Braking problem will all those processors.
and the windshield wipers coming on randomly,
and the driving on the centerline when going around corners in FSD.
and finally have the ability to see pedestrians with any consistency
and……
Maybe. I have never had an issue with pedestrians or the car driving on the centerline. I 'have' had issues with it driving on the outside line when going around a semi and that was dangerous. I 'have' had issues with the wipers 'not' coming on when there was water on the windshield. I 'have' issues with the mirrors not being settable for the reverse position that I want. I 'have' issues with the radio volume not changing when outside noise varies. And I have all kinds of other issues, but I still love my Teslas and I know that eventually these will all bubble up to a point where Tesla fixes them.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag