Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
While Tesla probably won't ever increase a deposit requirement, one way to accomplish a check on "real" deposits could be offering something of good value for less than expected price as an "option" for the CT. Lets say something like:
"Reserved your CT? reserve a solar vault and roof cover which will add 30 miles a day of charge for $2,000 now or $5,000 at time of purchase." That may not be a good example though. It should be something that everyone would want and will increase in price if you wait longer to get that. At the same time as offering the 'discounted' solar, Elon would Tweet out that they will prioritize production of the solar versions of the CT.

That way, most would probably rather add the solar option rather than fall further down the line. Just an idea.
I like your thinking but don't believe Tesla can now change the deposit requirement on existing pre-orders. At the time I thought $100 was too little as a deposit - but that's what they asked for. - but your "upgraded order" now there is an idea.
Sponsored

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I haven't told my wife that I put the $100 down the early morning after the reveal, but she sure wasn't happy to learn that I had put down $2500 for a Model 3. In the end we decided not to complete the Model 3 purchase (hence I still have a wife). $100 is a far smaller investment than $2500.

We bought a Jeep Rubicon instead since it fits our lifestyle better than the Model 3 and as the most modified vehicle on the planet there will be an electric conversion upgrade in the future. I have plans to either replace it with the Cybertruck or replace her minivan with it, although she has her heart set on the VW Buzz retro microbus. The issue is that the ability to go topless, take the doors off, and go almost anywhere that a vehicle can go is the sticking point for me.

I got such a good deal on my Jeep and I have left it basically stock so my loss would be minimal. Originally had two Cybertrucks on order, but cancelled one. Currently have the trip-motor, but am thinking of editing it to a dual motor before the July 1 FSD price increase.
I ordered a dual (with FSD) but want to upgrade to a Tri. Can we deal somehow?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I ordered a dual (with FSD) but want to upgrade to a Tri. Can we deal somehow?
You shouldn't need to deal. You can change your configuration easy enough. It isn't set in stone till they call you for final configuration anyway.

Dento

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I would be glad to give extra money for added options like bigger battery to lick it in

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Many speculate they held off on semi and roadster in order to (1) focus on model 3 production (2) Model Y production and (3) Develop better Battery tech allowing them to make the Semi and Roadster meet/exceed Tesla's goals. This is why so many of us are eagerly anticipating "Battery day".
The semi requires the battery capacity of 13 model 3s. A semi costs about 185k and a model 3 about 50k (average). Until battery manufacturing capacity was up to speed it did not make business sense to produce semis at the expense of model 3s. 13 x 50k vs 1 x 185k

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The semi requires the battery capacity of 13 model 3s. A semi costs about 185k and a model 3 about 50k (average). Until battery manufacturing capacity was up to speed it did not make business sense to produce semis at the expense of model 3s. 13 x 50k vs 1 x 185k
Yes this makes sense. But, why did Tesla in Dec. of 2017 tell the world that Tesla Semi would start production in 2019? Then take $20,000 dollar reservations. And then there's the Roadster. $100 reservation fee sounds very good to me.

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I assume part of the giving Tesla extra deposit is to get the ball rolling.
$s are not the problem for Tesla. They don't need to raise more, ie raising deposit. Elon has said many times they can't spend it fast enough. The companies biggest struggle is finding talented workers. They would do much more if they could, but are limited by their work force. Re: CT and getting it going, $'s again are not the problem, it's talented work force and finding the correct location with said talent..
And enough ba
Yes this makes sense. But, why did Tesla in Dec. of 2017 tell the world that Tesla Semi would start production in 2019? Then take $20,000 dollar reservations. And then there's the Roadster. $100 reservation fee sounds very good to me.
can’t explain except a fairly common human failing of “ not engaging brain before operating mouth”
Politician seem to suffer disproportionately from this syndrome

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Sure, that makes sense too. But also they don't want Semi's with battery packs that can only last 350,000 miles. Long haul truckers average 100,000 a year.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I feel that roughly 50% of the CT reservation holders are going to hit the refund button because they are not serious buyers or they placed numerous deposits. The $100 refundable deposit was so insignificant that people thought what the hell.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I feel that roughly 50% of the CT reservation holders are going to hit the refund button because they are not serious buyers or they placed numerous deposits. The $100 refundable deposit was so insignificant that people thought what the hell.
I know my son did order more to Protect himself. I will share why.
He is young and going through chemo. So, he ordered 2 RWD’s with FSD Each order placed on different dates and months to protect his himself. If the first order is up and he is not ready, he can bow out gracefully and aim his sights on the 2nd. His 22 year old mind reasoning, better safe then sorry. I was impressed on his reasoning. Pretty awesome how he went about it.?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I know my son did order more to Protect himself. I will share why.
He is young and going through chemo. So, he ordered 2 RWD’s with FSD Each order placed on different dates and months to protect his himself. If the first order is up and he is not ready, he can bow out gracefully and aim his sights on the 2nd. His 22 year old mind reasoning, better safe then sorry. I was impressed on his reasoning. Pretty awesome how he went about it.?
But, Just because you get invited to configure early does not mean you are obligated too do so. He really only needs one order.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
But, Just because you get invited to configure early does not mean you are obligated too do so. He really only needs one order.
his reasoning was. ? i thought it was ? . But I was just siding with you ?that there are others who will back out? . I was just sharing one for example. I agree that there will be a significant drop as well.

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It sounds like many of the people who ordered a CT from a foreign country will have to wait for some time to get their truck. CTs may not be approved for use right when their # comes up. People canceling multiple orders or having trouble getting the financing also will reduce the # of people ahead of me in line. It is possible that while I am about 250K on the list now I may not have to wait nearly that long. The real number of buyers that are ahead of me in might be closer to 200K. Every little bit helps!

TexasTesla

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I'm all for raising it... let's separate the wheat from the chaff.... the serious from those that are just dreaming... I'm pretty sure I'll get it sooner if that happens :)
Sponsored