Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have been on the fence about an MY, an MX or, now, a CBRTK. None is perfect for me but the truck is very close. I have some questions I haven’t seen good answers to and perhaps people here know:

1. I am getting older and the thought of climbing into and out of a truck with 12” clearance is a bit daunting. Will the truck have a side step of any kind? The MX is currently my choice for this but no rack option. I really don’t need lots of seats or falcon wing doors. My lifestyle is more rugged than that too.

2. I carry large things occasionally and need a roof rack of some kind. I do not see a way for the bed cover to close and still mount a rack, and if there was a way it would only make sense if it were also stainless. The MY is currently my choice here though it would not have the flexibility of the truck.

3. All the cars I have had for N years have been able to carry large dogs and things with ease (back seats always down). My older dogs are now needing a ramp and the truck ramp is such a draw but closing dogs into the bed is a nonstarter, and tethering dogs to an open bed is also. Getting them into a back seat would be almost as daunting as getting myself in and out.

perhaps these questions/musings are inappropriate here but I thought I’d try. Thank you.

jack
Sponsored

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
The CT can squat to 8 inches when parked.

I carry a canoe often to so I need a rack of some kind. I am hoping the side pylons can have a rack attached so we can close the cover on the bed.

I

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Hi Jack. Welcome to the site. If Tesla doesn't offer a factory side step I'm sure the aftermarket will have that covered nicely with all varieties of side steps. It's one of the most popular aftermarket parts for pickup trucks. And like @Saskateam said the Cybertruck can be lowered easily with its air suspension, so you can drop it to 8" for easier ingress and egress.

I'm sure we'll either get a roof rack from Tesla or in the aftermarket. Like side steps it's one of the most popular modifications for pickups. It might be a little more complicated because the roof is glass but there's still a steel frame framing the roof glass that can bear all the weight. And there's a nice deep lip on the side of the roof to clamp a roof rack onto.

Tesla Cybertruck Side step, roof rack, and dogs Cybertruck Roof Rack Li

And if a roof rack isn't a good solution, I bet we'll see racks that mounts to the top of the bed sides. And since it'll be elevated above the bed, you'd still be able to use the built in folding bed cover.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I wonder if they are looking at a fold down step like the ford trucks have. That is a great feature for the ford however I think Tesla can make a better version.

Joelm

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Tesla M3, Cybertruck
Occupation
Self employeed
Country flag
I read there was a pass through or will be a pass through to the bed. So maybe that could work? I am hoping that the cover keeps the bed dry when closed.

JayP90X

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P90D
Country flag
I wonder if they are looking at a fold down step like the ford trucks have. That is a great feature for the ford however I think Tesla can make a better version.
Dropdown sidestep would be awesome. And better than aftermarket.

I read there was a pass through or will be a pass through to the bed. So maybe that could work? I am hoping that the cover keeps the bed dry when closed.
It's a pickup, there's going to be tons of aftermarket vendors developing parts for the Cybertruck. Much more than we've ever seen for the models so far.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If the Jeep aftermarket crowd jump on board this platform we will have lots of choice between the pickup and off road additions.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hi Jack. Welcome to the site. If Tesla doesn't offer a factory side step I'm sure the aftermarket will have that covered nicely with all varieties of side steps. It's one of the most popular aftermarket parts for pickup trucks. And like @Saskateam said the Cybertruck can be lowered easily with its air suspension, so you can drop it to 8" for easier ingress and egress.

I'm sure we'll either get a roof rack from Tesla or in the aftermarket. Like side steps it's one of the most popular modifications for pickups. It might be a little more complicated because the roof is glass but there's still a steel frame framing the roof glass that can bear all the weight. And there's a nice deep lip on the side of the roof to clamp a roof rack onto.

Cybertruck Roof Rack Lip.png

And if a roof rack isn't a good solution, I bet we'll see racks that mounts to the top of the bed sides. And since it'll be elevated above the bed, you'd still be able to use the built in folding bed cover.
True enough, though I was hoping for one integrated into the design, either folding (challenging with hands full) or powered like Tesla door handles (still makes me smile when I see them).

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Send Twitter to Elon... for request

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
It looks like the lack of driveshaft and exhaust could allow the floor height to be slightly lower than dinosaur juice pickups with the same ground clearance.. This may mean the effective climb-in height could be an inch or two lower than you are used to.
Or the floor height could be the same as others, or higher because of batteries. I don't know.

Oh, and no there's frame running underneath the sides, either. How deep is the frame of an F150? Six inches, Eight? I need to measure when I'm putting on a new exhaust tomorrow.
The first-year Ridgeline is the only other truck to have completely frameless unibody construction. Was it's efective climb-in height lower than comparable vehicles?

Last edited:

CarsBarsMars

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus, Infiniti, BMW
Country flag
Most likely it won’t ship with those huge aggressive tires. Picture it on some 255/40r18’s in an all terrain tread. That will lower it a few inches. Plus it will be at the bottom of its air suspension when parked. You can probably judge from one of the videos or the CT AR app about how high it is for you.

Sigjumper

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
“Most likely it won’t ship with those huge aggressive tires. Picture it on some 255/40r18’s in an all terrain tread.”

I disagree- the tires are made by Goodyear (marathon logo and name are visible in the pre-debut window test that Elon posted). That said, GY does not currently have a 35” tire in that tread pattern on the market. I think these are made to order for the CT. I could be wrong, but as a long-term modified jeeper, I am pretty adept in off-rod tires.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
“Most likely it won’t ship with those huge aggressive tires. Picture it on some 255/40r18’s in an all terrain tread.”

I disagree- the tires are made by Goodyear (marathon logo and name are visible in the pre-debut window test that Elon posted). That said, GY does not currently have a 35” tire in that tread pattern on the market. I think these are made to order for the CT. I could be wrong, but as a long-term modified jeeper, I am pretty adept in off-rod tires.
I have to agree with CarsBarsMars. Tesla has to subnit it for EPA rating. They want that as high as possible. So stock tires will be lowest rolling resistance suitable to a truck. Offroad tires will be an option, not standard.

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag

Those are MT/R’s. If my math is right, 265’s would basically be 35’s which are an off the shelf item.
Sponsored