Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I wonder how much this accessory will impact range. I understand a regular roof rack can impact an engine vehicle by ~2 MPG.
Yeah, they can vary based upon the design of the bars, the placement of the bars, and then of course the load placed upon the bars.

Which is why I got aero bars for my Mazda - and take them off when I'm not using them.

-Crissa

Sad side note: I had another reason to take the cargo bars and pod off when not in use; I had a bat fly into them last month. ;-;
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Looks like this rack might me able to store in the vault.

Tesla Cybertruck Roof Rack accessory installed on Cybertruck [video + pics] 1697982001018

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
It will interesting to see how practical that angle of roof rack turns out to be and how close they are ... although I think there are some mounting points lower down.

Rivian locking crossbars (url) are pretty slick in the videos as they are 'universal' and move from the cab to the bed.

fzLHd3Y.jpg

Y6p0PGM.jpg
I was thinking the same thing. That angle doesn’t look good. Imagine something long and flat on top of there. The wind is going to slide up the windshield and push right underneath it causing all kinds of drag.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I have roof racks on my M3 and I don't think they reduce mileage much (when not carrying a kayak).

However I don't really see the logic of having them on the CT. If you want to carry something big, just put it in the vault and if it is long use a bed extender. With the roof racks over the vault, that will prevent you from carrying something large unless they are very easily removed.

The saving in mileage by keeping the vault cover closed will be lost by having roof racks.

Tesla Cybertruck Roof Rack accessory installed on Cybertruck [video + pics] 1697986103318

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have roof racks on my M3 and I don't think they reduce mileage much (when not carrying a kayak).

However I don't really see the logic of having them on the CT. If you want to carry something big, just put it in the vault and if it is long use a bed extender. With the roof racks over the vault, that will prevent you from carrying something large unless they are very easily removed.

The saving in mileage by keeping the vault cover closed will be lost by having roof racks.

1697986103318.png
Poles might not fit in the vault, lengthwise. I know our big tent will not. You might fill the vault and not have room left over. And it spreads the load to the sides, instead of atop other things loose in the vault.

Bars, empty, reduce your range about 5%

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
store in the vault?
Do the racks come apart into 3 sections I am not sure. Just looks like they can.

Easier to get things in and out of the bed, and if they are hardly ever needed they are not in the way and maybe they will fit in the floor compartment of the bed.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Do the racks come apart into 3 sections I am not sure. Just looks like they can.

Easier to get things in and out of the bed, and if they are hardly ever needed they are not in the way and maybe they will fit in the floor compartment of the bed.
Thanks I see now, makes sense

I mean, no clue if they break down into pieces small enough to store in the sub-bed storage, but I’m all for a place for everything and everything in its place

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks I see now, makes sense

I mean, no clue if they break down into pieces small enough to store in the sub-bed storage, but I’m all for a place for everything and everything in its place
It seems like they designed it similar to the Rivian one which can be width adjustable - probably so that you can mount it in the different spots where the width isn't exactly the same. My R1T racks don't break down into pieces but you can compact it to it's shortest settings which helps with storage.

TexasRaider

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck + MS
Occupation
Civil
Country flag
PSA: TFL did an analysis and a basic roof rack can impact a traditional ICE vehicle’s MPG by ~2 MPG without any items attached to it.
I’d be interested to find out how this will impact the efficiency of the CT.

Chris9702L

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Those are not really racks, they are cross bars. A rack is one that they had on at the lithium ground breaking event. I wish someone would bring out a rack like that and how much weight the side sails can support.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
find anything? I saw this. Stainless too. was interested but a start up it seems.
Screenshot 2024-02-28 052606.png
That looks sharp, but I'm gonna go for strictly a roof rack, minimalist design to cut down on wind drag. If I don't find something I like, I may have to draw one up and take it down to a welding shop.
Sponsored