So, Let's Talk About Size Again...

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
The R1T with 835hp and over 900 ft lbs of torque runs 5 lug wheels and big 6 piston calipers up front. Rivian couldn’t design a wheel smaller than 20” for the truck because of brake caliper interference.

The fact that Tesla engineers went with 6-lug wheels tells me something. They are engineering the truck to handle enourmous amounts of HP and torque from the Quad electric motor drivetrain.

I can guarantee that Elon instructed his CT engineering team to beat GM’s 1,000 HP Hummer HP specification. He’s a competitive individual and wants the Cybertruck to be #1 in HP and torque numbers for its segment. The Quad Motor version is going to be a performance beast. I predict the Quad Motor will put out >1001 HP and beat the Hummer is 0-60 time.
I would have liked to see inboard brake rotors in the Rivian or Cybertruck, like what Bollinger did with their B1. Then they could probably enable use of almost any size wheel.
Sponsored

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Cybertruck trucks with no wipers already built will be sent to rainless Mars. Nothing goes to waste with Elon!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Cybertruck trucks with no wipers already built will be sent to rainless Mars. Nothing goes to waste with Elon!
Don’t have to go that far, they are located just ~69 miles west of the brown lands of Central California.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It rained there today.

-Crissa
Kind of figured. After a dry winter they are getting one last hurrah before the Laing brown season starts. It’ll be 85 next week and over 90 by May.

(The hot dry summer is a big part of why we left)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
How's the hot, dry summers treating you up there?

-Crissa
I think we’ve had 10 100 degree days since I moved up here 4 years ago, including the heat dome BS. In Sacramento there are usually 10-20 or more per year.

I have no complaints.

Our house doesn‘t even have AC… though that’s a bit of a cheat since we designed it for efficiency.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think we’ve had 10 100 degree days since I moved up here 4 years ago, including the heat dome BS. In Sacramento there are usually 10-20 or more per year.

I have no complaints.

Our house doesn‘t even have AC… though that’s a bit of a cheat since we designed it for efficiency.
That's way above average, which is what I'm referring to,

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That's way above average, which is what I'm referring to,

-Crissa
Oh yeah. It’s above average both places. More or less moved from a place that was too hot and getting hotter to a place which was just perfect for us… and getting warmer.

Not happy about the heat here, but its a hell of a lot less bad than what Sacramento has become.

We were considering Redding because of the great recreation options, but it was already hotter than Sacramento. That was before the Carr Fire and multi week 110+ heat waves there.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I was so worried that the CT wouldn't fit in my 1 car garage where my Model 3 charges and would have to always Supercharge this beast but if your measurements are correct I have about 5" of clearance. Woohoo!!!
That's silly. Supercharging costs an average of around twice as much as home charging. For under $500 plus the Wall Connector I built this charge solution for the driveway of my ski cabin. If I had omitted the roof the entire project, from start to finish would have been under $150 (I already had the spare Wall Connector):

Tesla Cybertruck So, Let's Talk About Size Again... 20200117_122904

Tesla Cybertruck So, Let's Talk About Size Again... 20201002_121516

Keep in mind, the Wall Connector is weather rated, so I didn't need to build a roof but it's in a rainforest and I didn't want it turning green and becoming encased in ice, so I built the roof mostly from scrap lumber in my lumber pile. The conduit and electrical wire, 60 amp breaker, electrical box, elbows and other fittings only less than $150 from Home Depot. I had the post leftover from another project.

I find it perplexing why people think you need to charge an EV indoors. Most Superchargers are out in the weather and they carry up to 20 times the current. Adding a breaker and some conduit to an existing electrical panel is generally super easy, people just feel it's daunting because they don't know how to do it. If that's the case, just install the conduit, post and Wall Connector and let an electrician hook it up. It should only take a couple of hours to add the breaker and run the wire. In my case, it was easier to just do it myself since I already knew how.

On the far right of the last photo you can see the conduit I ran up the wall next to the meter. It enters the wall cavity below the electrical panel (inside the cabin) and then runs up into the bottom of the panel to a 60 amp breaker. The hardest part was digging the trench through soil that was more rock than soil. All those rocks scattered around the base of the pole came out of the trench I dug.

Now I have a place to charge my Cybertruck too. At 48 amps of 240 V charging and a 24-foot cable on the Wall Connector it's practical to charge two EV's from the same cable because I can usually top up a vehicle in 2-3 hours. And my electricity comes from a small hydro plant with two large Pelton wheels. It's grid power but I'm at the end of the line.

Most people who want to charge in their driveway don't need to trench, they can just mount the Wall Connector under the garage eave and run power through the wall to the electrical panel. Having EV charging increases your property value. If you rent, tell your landlord you will hire the electrician if he buys the wire and charger. This is a much better solution than using the Mobile Connector out of doors (which I did for one winter).

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That's silly. Supercharging costs an average of around twice as much as home charging. For under $500 plus the Wall Connector I built this charge solution for the driveway of my ski cabin. If I had omitted the roof the entire project, from start to finish would have been under $150 (I already had the spare Wall Connector):

20200117_122904.jpg

20201002_121516.jpg

Keep in mind, the Wall Connector is weather rated, so I didn't need to build a roof but it's in a rainforest and I didn't want it turning green and becoming encased in ice, so I built the roof mostly from scrap lumber in my lumber pile. The conduit and electrical wire, 60 amp breaker, electrical box, elbows and other fittings only less than $150 from Home Depot. I had the post leftover from another project.

I find it perplexing why people think you need to charge an EV indoors. Most Superchargers are out in the weather and they carry up to 20 times the current. Adding a breaker and some conduit to an existing electrical panel is generally super easy, people just feel it's daunting because they don't know how to do it. If that's the case, just install the conduit, post and Wall Connector and let an electrician hook it up. It should only take a couple of hours to add the breaker and run the wire. In my case, it was easier to just do it myself since I already knew how.

In the bottom right corner of the last photo you can see the conduit I ran up the wall next to the meter. It enters the wall cavity below the electrical panel (inside the cabin) and then runs up into the bottom of the panel to a 60 amp breaker. The hardest part was digging the trench through soil that was more rock than soil. All those rocks scattered around the base of the pole came out of the trench I dug.

Now I have a place to charge my Cybertruck too. At 48 amps of 240 V charging and a 24-foot cable on the Wall Connector it's practical to charge two EV's from the same cable because I can usually top up a vehicle in 2-3 hours. And my electricity comes from a small hydro plant with two large Pelton wheels. It's grid power but I'm at the end of the line.

Most people who want to charge in their driveway don't need to trench, they can just mount the Wall Connector under the garage eave and run power through the wall to the electrical panel. Having EV charging increases your property value. If you rent, tell your landlord you will hire the electrician if he buys the wire and charger. This is a much better solution than using the Mobile Connector out of doors (which I did for one winter).
Dude… that is awesome.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
You can also see that the cold rolled steel sheets are not precisely flat along their surface lengthwise. They all have ripples and waves in the surface panels which you can see when looking down the length of certain panels.. specifically the tailgate back panel I noticed quite a bit of rippling to the surface. That is something I think they might need to sort out by the time they get to production.
I noticed the ripples and they are pretty obvious. This makes me think Tesla has decided to buy un-hardened steel in big rolls and roll-harden it themselves as they are forming the bends. Multiple passes under high-pressure rollers are required.

The way this might work is the mild stainless is cut to size for each panel before the flat shape is sent through rollers customed designed for each panel. These rollers harden it and bend it in multiple passes. It could fly down a long line at 30 mph as it is progressively bent and hardened. This would eliminate the need to cut the panels after they are already hardened and reduce the cost of stainless steel from the mill since Tesla could buy standard industrial sized rolls instead of hardened sheets. It would also greatly reduce cutting waste.

Developing this process would involve a lot of trial and error to fine-tune the design of the rollers because, as far as I know, this has never been done before. It would eliminate the step of needing to score the hardened panels before bending. It only makes sense if you are planning to manufacture millions of something over many years. This development process of bending the panels progressively using rollers as it is hardened would explain the extreme waviness and the gaps with more variation than seen on earlier prototypes that were probably hardened before being bent. Because the rolling lines would still be under development.

This would not be an easy task but the potential payoff is absolutely huge! Tesla becomes more vertically integrated by roll hardening their own steel. The final product can be stronger, lighter and safer because the panels can be hardened to different degrees at different locations to fine tune the characteristics of every portion of the panels. It eliminates the scoring step which weakens the steel and saves money on cutting the panels to shape (panels can be cut to shape on a big stamping machine in one go) instead of needing plasma cutters or other, slower, more expensive methods. Reduced waste and material handling costs. Savings in the billions of dollars allowing the trucks to maintain a lower price point.

Please note that is simply my speculation but it does explain the panel waviness that was not present on earlier prototypes and that I find difficult to explain if the panels were not sent through rollers during the bending process.
Sponsored

Last edited: