Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
All kinds of interesting charger related stuff in this release. There are some hints in the Tesla App that non-Teslas will be coming to the SuperCharger Network soon.

More interesting to Tesla owners (and potential owners) is the new Commercial Charging program where you can order multiple Wall Chargers (Level 2 chargers) and charge a fee to people who use them. Seems like a nice fit for AirBNBs, hotels, shopping centers, and malls.

There are more details from Tesla here. Apparently this is a little different from Destination Chargers, but you can get them listed on their web site. You have to set up at least half a dozen chargers. (screen cap attached)

I almost want to go down the Oregon Coast and beg businesses to let me install a couple of these myself. I can think of a few places where having a Tesla charger would be a huge premium for at least a couple years.

Tesla Cybertruck Some Interesting Charging Options added to Tesla App and Wall Connector 1659419982915

Tesla Cybertruck Some Interesting Charging Options added to Tesla App and Wall Connector 1659415108052-
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
After doing my first EV roadtrip with my Zero, everywhere I wanted to go ended up everywhere I could charge.

A couple hours charging was like dinner or a movie or a walk on the beach and damn that's how to do it.

Next time I'm just checking Plugshare and dialing that in, not trying to fit businesses I can't charge near.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That’s how I shop hotels now. Verify they have a vacant Tesla charger and book it. Saves me $25 - $35, a ~20 minute wait, and a possible detour. Unless the hotel price is out of line or it’s way out of the way. So nice to be able to multi-task.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
iPhone 13 Pro Max has a reported battery size of 16.75Wh. Assuming 250kW supercharger, and I did the math right, it would take 4.02ms. That doesn't account for tapering, so Ogre's 2 second guestimate is probably closer to real-world results.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Charred or charged?

I think 4ns is much closer with 250kW.

I always knew deep down, that iphones were vapour wear. :p

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I am a corner house where the street next to me can be parked on. Maybe ill look at adding a charger that can reach over there lol

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am a corner house where the street next to me can be parked on. Maybe ill look at adding a charger that can reach over there lol
The charge cable is 18 feet so you have a bit of play. Particularly if you park on the sidewalk ;)

Deleted member 11233

Before considering installing chargers for the public adjacent to your business or home, consider the potential for property damage if a vehicle catches fire while charging (probably a non-issue with Tesla, but who knows with these other off brands) and the exposure to injury claims like a slip and fall at the charger ot just about any other wacky claim these personal injury attorneys dream up.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Before considering installing chargers for the public adjacent to your business or home, consider the potential for property damage if a vehicle catches fire while charging (probably a non-issue with Tesla, but who knows with these other off brands) and the exposure to injury claims like a slip and fall at the charger ot just about any other wacky claim these personal injury attorneys dream up.
ICE cars catch on fire far more often.

No, you won't have any liability for a properly installed system.

-Crissa

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
ICE cars catch on fire far more often.
Not while charging, or sitting in the garage after a drive.

I wonder if we will ever get to the point where we can install a charge post at the curb or hang a charger on the telephone pole. I don't want people tripping on the sidewalk and I don't want an ADA compliant rubber cable protector crossing the sidewalk for years.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
According to a friend with a Leaf, some non-Tesla chargers near us were recently disabled due to concerns over liability. Since people can sue for just about anything, they didn't want the risk relative to the perceived reward. And honestly I've never seen a car using those.

Long story short, it's at a mall attached to a now-vacant Sears auto center, which is far from the mall itself. With Sears dying, the charger is now basically in no-man's land and possibly questionable safety, I suppose? I don't think fire safety is an issue at that location. Now I want to go see if there's any signage on them or what.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
I did say charging, not pouring flammable liquid in, and I didn't see any stories of the car catching on fire by itself at a gas station. And the fires in the garages are either not listed as to the cause, so likely vandalism, or they say its an extremely unlikely, rare condition when it happens, while I was responding to the comment that ICE vehicles catch fire FAR MORE OFTEN
Sponsored