Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I am expecting Starlink to improve once Starlink 2.0 is live, presently it is being called v .9. Once the lasers are being used the ground stations will be less of an issue
Definitely. It will allow cells where they don't have down stations, too.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Deleted member 11233

I'm wondering if the lack of cell phone coverage limits the placement of Supercharger stations. If Starlink was installed at the SC sites, they could be placed almost anywhere they can find adequate land. [edit to add] and a reliable electric supply

Last edited by a moderator:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I'm wondering if the lack of cell phone coverage limits the placement of Supercharger stations. If Starlink was installed at the SC sites, they could be placed almost anywhere they can find adequate land.
Why would that limit placement?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Why would that limit placement?
A place so remote that it has no cell phone coverage is unlikely to have fiber or cable so unless an SC can operate over DSL (and there are limits on how far from the CO DSL works) there would be no means for the SC to communicate with Mother. A Starlink terminal would indeed make operation of an SC in such a place possible. Of course we wonder why they would want to put an SC in such remote place unless it were on a heavily trafficked route.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
There are already existing satellite systems that work fine, and are cheap enough for such a low-bandwidth application. It seems extremely unlikely that Starlink changes anything. There are also terrestrial point to point radio systems used for lots of similar applications (I've deployed a bunch myself). And "cell coverage" is different for stationary installations versus mobile. I've installed antennas that get a perfectly usable signal where my phone got absolutely nothing.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Improve? Everyone I know who has it loves it, and gives it a 10/10 for reliability and speed.
That's because it isn't choked with traffic yet. When it "improves" beyond it's present very limited subscriber base this will change.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I need Starlink to be my high tech camping internet option so I'm hoping they resolve some of these things by the time I get my CT. Who wants to camp without Netflix? I need to scare the kids with camping horror movies. :)

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Well, you can download to watch while disconnected. But a mobile Starlink would change a lot of peoples' lives for sure. Lots of us can work from any internet connection anywhere.
LOL - I know, although not everything. Just in general it would be cool to have, but yes, it's transformative for many of those underserved by existing infrastructure.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
They need to dial home to process payment.

-Crissa
And much more. They can't operate without a connection, at all. I think you missed where I answered that though.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Heck, it could even be hidden under something like a hood scoop if its too big to fit under the frunk completely...
Embedded into the glass roof is the only place that would make sense.

I am expecting Starlink to improve once Starlink 2.0 is live, presently it is being called v .9. Once the lasers are being used the ground stations will be less of an issue
Currently it's V 1.0, V 0.9 were the early test satellites.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
A place so remote that it has no cell phone coverage is unlikely to have fiber or cable so unless an SC can operate over DSL (and there are limits on how far from the CO DSL works) there would be no means for the SC to communicate with Mother.
I'm sure this is the case in some areas, but in the remote northern reaches of NA (Canada, Alaska), my experience is that all of the places that have power, also have internet (usually DSL which can run on a phone line). The power companies run the two together.

So, I highly doubt connectivity is the issue for superchargers. It's more likely to be an issue of reliability of the power supply (power service in remote areas is notoriously glitchy...often runs on diesel generators...yuck).