Strong $61k RWD Cybertruck demand may surprise Tesla

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I predict that once the Tesla "configure your Cybertruck" e-mails go out that the popularity of the $61k RWD model may surprise Tesla.

Why? Thousands and thousands of AWD and CyberBeast reservation holders were priced out of purchasing a Cybertruck due to the humongous $20k and $30k price hikes.

For example, after adding the destination fee/options/sales tax/registration an AWD Cybertruck buyer is looking at roughly a $90k "out-the-door" purchase price.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
When I first reserved my CT, I went with Rear Wheel Drive. But after realizing the snow/ice benefits, I was happy to switch to AWD. Now that RWD is going to be an option, it's only draw is price. And since I will keep my CT for a Loooooong time, I'd have a hard time going there. I've driven my front wheel drive Prius over a snowy mountain pass twice. The first time nearly burned out my brakes, even with chains on. I'm not going to be caught like that again.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
When I first reserved my CT, I went with Rear Wheel Drive. But after realizing the snow/ice benefits, I was happy to switch to AWD. Now that RWD is going to be an option, it's only draw is price. And since I will keep my CT for a Loooooong time, I'd have a hard time going there. I've driven my front wheel drive Prius over a snowy mountain pass twice. The first time nearly burned out my brakes, even with chains on. I'm not going to be caught like that again.

Why compare RWD Cybertruck full BEV to a Toyota Prius Hybrid with a tiny battery?
If Toyota Prius Hybrid has regen braking the total regen braking capacity is small because of the small battery.

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Why compare RWD Cybertruck full BEV to a Toyota Prius Hybrid with a tiny battery?
If Toyota Prius Hybrid has regen braking the total regen braking capacity is small because of the small battery.
The issue was traction. And in no small part Toyota's horrible ABS adoption. Maybe RWD CT would still be better in snow. But I'd have to see some proof first.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I will be curious to see what type of rear wheel traction control Tesla will offer on the RWD model. Maybe a locking differential? That and a decent set of tires should get RWD owners out of most situations.

Last edited:

Jager

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model 3 LR AWD, Several Motorcycles
Country flag
As a truck guy who has put more than a million miles on various pickups, I'd say no. 4WD/AWD has enormous benefits over RWD. My first pickup was a RWD. I'd never buy that kind of config again.

Eliot Minaise

First Name
Eliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I wasn't going to say anything 🤣🤣🤣

Cyberman3000

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2022 Model S
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Maybe if its a "Max Tow" Type situation. Strip it all down, give it more towing and payload, and more range. Like a 2WD work truck

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I'm betting that It is gonna get canceled after a limited amount and Tesla will just lower the price for the AWD in the future.

Petertsai

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, cybertruck reservation
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As a truck guy who has put more than a million miles on various pickups, I'd say no. 4WD/AWD has enormous benefits over RWD. My first pickup was a RWD. I'd never buy that kind of config again.
The weight distribution on CT is much better than on ICE trucks. Wouldn’t that make a difference to your comment?

Jager

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model 3 LR AWD, Several Motorcycles
Country flag
The weight distribution on CT is much better than on ICE trucks. Wouldn’t that make a difference to your comment?
Likely, yes.

But a RWD CT would still see significant use constraints compared to the AWD or Tai-motor variants. There is simply a profound difference between a vehicle where only one axle is powered versus a vehicle where all four wheels are putting traction to the ground.

In the ICE world, we've seen a notable redistribution of pickup truck weight in recent decades, with their crew cabs and shorter beds. But the vast majority of those trucks are still 4WD. There's a reason for that.
Sponsored