Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
As a truck guy who has put more than a million miles on various pickups, I'd say no. 4WD/AWD has enormous benefits over RWD. My first pickup was a RWD. I'd never buy that kind of config again.
Yeah I grew up in the 60's and 70's and my dad always drove the cheapest pick up he could get- RWD and 3-on-the-tree haha. He would put a cast iron radiator in the box for traction and not tie it down and it would bounce around like crazy. If there was ice on the road you would get stuck on a 10 degree incline.
Sponsored

jakoh1

First Name
daman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bolt
Country flag
When I first reserved my CT, I went with Rear Wheel Drive. But after realizing the snow/ice benefits, I was happy to switch to AWD. Now that RWD is going to be an option, it's only draw is price. And since I will keep my CT for a Loooooong time, I'd have a hard time going there. I've driven my front wheel drive Prius over a snowy mountain pass twice. The first time nearly burned out my brakes, even with chains on. I'm not going to be caught like that again.
2wd electric vehicles have excellent traction, as good as a AWD gas car.

jakoh1

First Name
daman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bolt
Country flag
As a truck guy who has put more than a million miles on various pickups, I'd say no. 4WD/AWD has enormous benefits over RWD. My first pickup was a RWD. I'd never buy that kind of config again.
Ya, you are talking about gas cars, which have horrible traction. With each stroke of engine it creates slip and only controls it's wheels while being accelerated or braked. Electric cars control their wheels 100% of the time.

Art138

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP,Ferrari Pista,Ford GT & CYBERBEAST ordered
Country flag
I predict that once the Tesla "configure your Cybertruck" e-mails go out that the popularity of the $61k RWD model may surprise Tesla.

Why? Thousands and thousands of AWD and CyberBeast reservation holders were priced out of purchasing a Cybertruck due to the humongous $20k and $30k price hikes.

For example, after adding the destination fee/options/sales tax/registration an AWD Cybertruck buyer is looking at roughly a $90k "out-the-door" purchase price.
The question is as long as they can sell FS why push a lower priced truck. Are invites still going out for FS? Haven’t seen too many announcing since the 11288 -90 crowd. If the allocations are completed this year will they continue with FS next year? Certainty when they open configurations for non FS,buyers will gravitate to the more affordable tier.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
If Tesla goes over 5k units on the limited edition FS trucks you are going to have some ticked off FS owners. The Limited Edition FS trucks are not as exclusive as buyers thought they would be.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I've driven my front wheel drive Prius over a snowy mountain pass twice. The first time nearly burned out my brakes, even with chains on. I'm not going to be caught like that again.
....this is an aside, but...

What the heck was wrong with your car that you would heat up your brakes at all under those conditions?

I know automatics don't have as much control about free spinning as manuals do, but...

Also, you can turn off creep in an EV and just regen. Unfortunately Tesla doesn't let you feather the regen for traction, but it does do blended braking. That's why even RWD Teslas are champs in the snow. Throw in the low center of gravity and narrow aero tires and they bite well and stay in the direction you aim them.

-Crissa

Maaz

First Name
Maaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, Model X Plaid, Cybertruck, Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Don’t think they’ll make it.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If Tesla goes over 5k units on the limited edition FS trucks you are going to have some ticked off FS owners. The Limited Edition FS trucks are not as exclusive as buyers thought they would be.
Yes true

But anything over 1 is being watered down already.
Sponsored