Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Tesla has all but confirmed that Cybertruck production is going to be delayed into next year.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/27/tesla-cybertruck-production-delayed/

After unveiling the Cybertruck in 2019, Tesla said that the electric pickup truck would make it to market by the end of 2021.

The automaker has not officially updated that timeline since.

With that deadline being only months aways and only very little evidence of progress toward production, Tesla was asked twice during the release of its earnings results about Cybertruck production, and the company spokespersons mostly danced around the question.

The automaker never confirmed that it would be delayed, but it strongly hinted that it would be.

In its shareholders letter, the automaker mentioned “progress” toward production, but it only wants to confirm that Cybertruck production is coming after Model Y production at Gigafactory Texas, which is planned to start “by the end of the year.”

We are also making progress on the industrialization of Cybertruck, which is currently planned for Austin production subsequent to Model Y.
In the same document, Tesla updates a chart quarterly about its vehicle production capacity, and it still only mentions the Cybertruck production as “in development” rather than “construction”:

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla all but confirms Cybertruck production delay until 2022 Screen-Shot-2021-07-27-at-5.41.47-AM

This is confirmed by drone flyovers of Gigafactory Texas, which shows a lot of work happening inside of the Model Y section of the factory under construction, while the Cybertruck section appears to still be mostly empty inside.

During a conference call following the release of Tesla’s Q2 results, the automaker was asked directly about the status of Cybertruck production.

In one question, Tesla was even asked if it could “confirm” that production is still planned for this year, and it couldn’t do it.

Lars Moravy, vice president of vehicle engineering at Tesla, responded instead:

Cybertruck is at a stage where we finished basic engineering of the architecture of the vehicle. With the Cybertruck, we are redefining how a vehicle is being made. As Elon said, it carries much of the structural pack and large casting design of the Model Y being built in Berlin and Austin. Obviously, those take priority over the Cybertruck, but we are moving into the beta phases of Cybertruck later this year and we will be looking to ramp up production at Giga Texas after Model Y is up and running.
He stopped short of confirming that production isn’t going to start until next year, but if the automaker is still in the alpha stage of the program and it is waiting for Model Y to reach volume production, it sounds unlikely that we will see the electric pickup truck this year.

CEO Elon Musk was also asked about whether or not he expects challenges in bringing the Cybertruck to production, and he said that he believes the Cybertruck might be Tesla’s best product yet, but also the most difficult.

Electrek’s Take
While Tesla clearly appears hesitant in officially delaying the Cybertruck, I think it’s better if we forget about any chances of seeing the electric truck this year.

Otherwise, I think we are setting ourselves up for disappointment.

On top of Tesla deploying the production capacity itself, it looks like 4680 battery cells are going to be an important bottleneck into at least some time next year.

Musk even revealed during the call that Tesla has a backup plan to use 2170 cells in the new Model Y to be produced at Gigafactory Texas and Berlin until the 4680 is available and can enable the structural battery pack architecture.

I don’t think Tesla can do that with the Cybertruck and still achieve its promised specs and prices.

Source
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Thx for the research! I appreciate it since I look at this forum more than news sites. Clearly it's from Electrek, and it didn't seem like you were putting your own name on it to me... But I'm not up to date on MLA standards

Lol its the CT. I'd prefer it done well, not fast.
I find it interesting that any other oem would take 5+ years to develop a vehicle from complete scratch (not a remake of an existing one), yet Tesla consistently creates new cars far faster. If they confirm specifics, they get torn apart for not being exactly on schedule. If they give vague timelines, they get torn apart for being vague.

All I can say is I'm contemplating suicide...
If you ask me, my generation has had too many Christmases that were on time and over delivered. Musk isn't Santa. Go buy some shares or something and stop complaining.

Cheers

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I find it interesting that any other oem would take 5+ years to develop a vehicle from complete scratch (not a remake of an existing one), yet Tesla consistently creates new cars far faster.
Makes me wonder how long before the reveal did Tesla started working on CT? Does anyone know?

All I can say is I'm contemplating suicide...
If you just made your reservation, wait for a better reason. On the other hand if you are anywhere in the first 700,000, I have to say, this world is an unfair ugly place that will never treat us the way it should. There must be a better place.

Kidding aside the only way to lower the level of disappointment is lowering expectation.

Last edited:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Makes me wonder how long before the reveal did Tesla started working on CT? Does anyone know?
Nope! But my guess is right at the start of 2019. They revealed lots of ideas and mentioned a truck as far back as 2012... In late 2018, Elon first mentioned starting work on a prototype soon, but it doesn't seem like it had started just it.

In March of 2019, Elon showed a teaser image and said it would be cyber punk themed.

So my guess is sometime between those dates.

If that's true, the CT will go from idea to market in a little over 3 years. ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Cybertruck#:~:text=The Cybertruck was unveiled at,a metal ball at them.

Last edited:

cyberda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Cyber (Ordered)
Country flag
Base on InsideEV's article, we won't see volume production of 4680's until mid 2022 at the earliest (best case)
Given this, I doubt there will be anything but a trickle of CT production until 4th quarter next year. Its also competing with Semi for cells....

LeoIsRad

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Pipefitter
Country flag
Oh lord , it was a joke about the suicide...gees yalls era can't handle a joke..lol buuuuut i will receive at least one of my CT's before yall and thats something else yall CANT handle !!! Mwhahahahahaha ?
Cheers to that mate ? ?

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Oh lord , it was a joke about the suicide...gees yalls era can't handle a joke..lol buuuuut i will receive at least one of my CT's before yall and thats something else yall CANT handle !!! Mwhahahahahaha ?
Cheers to that mate ? ?
Tesla employee perk????

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
No surprises yesterday from the Leadership Team regarding Cybertruck production. This exoskeleton monocoque chassis has never been attempted before. I think full volume production won't fully kick in until 2023 IF the supply chain remains stable.

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
I understand the need for keeping shareholders satiated, and understanding general market interest in your product before you invest in production. That being said, I hope the market shift to BEV’s reduces the need for these folks to use preorders as a justification/gauge for production.

Although critical of Apple, they do have a solid track record (As of the last 6 years) of committing to their design, “wowing” the audience, and shipping within 6 weeks later.

This is not to ignore the immense complexity of production for a vehicle, considering there’s an entire tablet that’s only part of the build process. Beside the fact there are no processes for what’s being produced and is a ground up change from standard vehicle production. This is to acknowledge the complexity, but also say as an investor and a customer, I wish they’d present these in the “construction phase” vs “In development”.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Apple does that six-weeks thing by never commenting on anything they're building until the design has been sent off to the factory and the first ones are filling their warehouses.

That's a bit more difficult for a car company to do.

-Crissa
Sponsored