swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
At least there's no paint shop to setup/dial in. With the infrastructure already in place around the Gigafactory, getting the CT line up and running should go faster than the MY line did. The addition of some serious brainpower (think: Zhu), should help Tesla move from testing/setup to meaningful production quickly. They will need to staff up to support the production line, but they also have more experienced line workers on hand versus when they started MY production. I just hope the 4680 lines are humming by the time April rolls around, they are going to need a lot of battery cells for the CT.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
CT ramp progress should not be extrapolated from MY ramp!!! There is no need for many welds, body panels and most importantly exterior paint which is time consuming. 10k should be easily surpassed in less than 6 months.

giga cast
Weld on steel panels
Insert structural pack, electronics and seats from under
Bolt on drive units with suspension
Add interior
Ad external parts like lights and glass
Self test
Done!

CT production line should be mind bendingly short and fast! The entire CT is designed to be made fast, no so with M3 and MY.
The number of processes doesn't change the output speed but it may, as you say, affect how long it takes to get all the processes up to speed. It's the speed of the slowest process that matters. If a process takes 2 minutes but you have 4 of those machines working at the same time, the process speed rate of production would be 30 seconds. (120 sec/4 machines = 30 seconds per machine)

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Noodle breaker:

On the second floor of the battery production area, there are a metric crap ton of battery packs. Structural battery packs to be exact. The number of packs up there is well into the thousands already.

So,

We have assumed those are Model Y 4680 packs that are being accumulated from the (still) slow battery pack production line and will be installed once there are enough of them to warrant a MY run of the 4680 version. It can be argued they've been doing this all along. From a production line balance perspective (I was an industrial engineer at the Shreveport GM truck plant), it doesn't make sense to make just a couple 4680s and then switch back to 2170s and then back...

Noodle breaker:

What if Tesla is stocking up on 4680 packs for the Cybertruck there on the 2nd floor so they can ramp quickly while the 4680 line continues to ramp up in speed. (they can build 2170 Model Ys until the 4680 lines can support both vehicles but can't make Cybertrucks without 4680s (because of the higher speed charging of the CT).

TLDR: Could Tesla be stocking up on Cybertruck battery packs to speed up the ramp up?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
The tracker says I'm 55,237 and I'm hoping my factory proximity gives me dibs
I'm way down the list but since Tesla plans to push out the first ones by geographic location, Quad motor, solar vault cover, FSD, and my area has allocations for 100, I should be riding in mine as soon as June! (The previous statement may be 100% wish material and in no way reflects Tesla's actual plan unless done so accidentally)
;)

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
"People" are saying that Tesla is planning to send all the early production to the northeast, specifically Massachusetts because they want those people to be extra happy.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
The tracker says I'm 55,237 and I'm hoping my factory proximity gives me dibs
So I do think you're a little overly optimistic, but hope not. Austin, seriously? That's just not playing fair. You could probably walk to pick it up. :mad:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
. I believe once Tesla produces its first perfect castings, everything will go like crazy. ...
On that topic, anyone know what became of the rumors that they were having lots of quality issues on the castings, and were looking for another company to make the presses?

Was just FUD?

Deleted member 12457

On that topic, anyone know what became of the rumors that they were having lots of quality issues on the castings, and were looking for another company to make the presses?

Was just FUD?
Tesla is installing an IDRA casting system and it hasn't been reassembled and might not have been tested with a CT mold, I'd call it FUD by someone who loves ICE vehicles.

jd1

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck ordered
Country flag
I know we aren't supposed to believe that google spreadsheet with the time estimates based on our order number...

According to that form. My tri will be in the first 2000 trucks. This was also before talk of the Quad taking priority and then Tri motor so... who knows.

I'm honestly just looking forward to learning about the final specs, pricing etc.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I know we aren't supposed to believe that google spreadsheet with the time estimates based on our order number...

According to that form. My tri will be in the first 2000 trucks. This was also before talk of the Quad taking priority and then Tri motor so... who knows.

I'm honestly just looking forward to learning about the final specs, pricing etc.
At which part of the Cybertruck reveal did you actually place your order? I recall trying to place my order near the end of the reveal but the website was already overloaded and it kept rejecting my order so it took about 15 minutes to get it to work.

My number is 112784xxx and the tracker puts me about 40K back from the front of the line.

jd1

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck ordered
Country flag
At which part of the Cybertruck reveal did you actually place your order? I recall trying to place my order near the end of the reveal but the website was already overloaded and it kept rejecting my order so it took about 15 minutes to get it to work.

My number is 112784xxx and the tracker puts me about 40K back from the front of the line.
The time stamp in my phone says 8:36pm on Nov 21, 2019.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla bull investor estimates 10,000 Cybertruck deliveries in 2023... you taking over or under? 19E34FFF-96D3-490B-953D-54C393DDBD1D

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

Please remember the tracker is a guess... I placed my order the following morning and I'm way back in the 80,000 according to the tracker in line with people that placed orders 2 -3 days after reveal ...
Also many of the first orders are multiple orders and won't close.
Try this one...
https://knowtion-inc.com/cybertruck-reservation-calculator/

I think they have chunks of reservation numbers missing on the first days. The site wouldn't give me a number when I purchased and they emailed me my number at 11:59 Nov 22. But the number is out of sequence
Sponsored

Last edited: