firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Thanks for everyone's input! This is the worst disaster I've ever started hahaha (and I cried a single tear but popped in a self-help audio tape and I'm perfectly fine now btw John k), and yea all good points everyone mentions (I have a 2 and 4 year old son and daughter, respectively so haven't had time to catch up to the metallurgists research done on here MY GOD AM I IMPRESSED! But I will).

So all I know is that a single human Tesla employee of female origin was on the training. Now, Tesla could have more employees jump on at later times, but everyone here is right - we just don't have enough info to be conclusive of anything. I'm going to speak with Joe (brother) tomorrow and ask him his thoughts on the conundrum of hot forming cold rolled steel and also find out what in the hell he's doing with that software to make a seemingly common process so special.

I think the answer to the above along with why CyberGus is so damn funny would be very fulfilling.
Thank your contacts.

What we really want to know is if this hot forming is for the 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel exoskeleton of the Cybertruck !!!!!!

If it is for some other part of the Cybertruck it is of only minor interest.

edit **** Sorry I should have put a sarcasm tag in. It was a joke. ****
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Thank your contacts.

What we really want to know is if this hot forming is for the 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel exoskeleton of the Cybertruck !!!!!!

And you speak for the rest of 'we'? Apparently not for one of us. It is extrememly unlikely that this process is for the exoskeleton, and I for one am very interested in whether it is for other panels and for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Is it still cold rolled if it's then hot stamped?

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Thanks for everyone's input! This is the worst disaster I've ever started hahaha (and I cried a single tear but popped in a self-help audio tape and I'm perfectly fine now btw John k), and yea all good points everyone mentions (I have a 2 and 4 year old son and daughter, respectively so haven't had time to catch up to the metallurgists research done on here MY GOD AM I IMPRESSED! But I will).

So all I know is that a single human Tesla employee of female origin was on the training. Now, Tesla could have more employees jump on at later times, but everyone here is right - we just don't have enough info to be conclusive of anything. I'm going to speak with Joe (brother) tomorrow and ask him his thoughts on the conundrum of hot forming cold rolled steel and also find out what in the hell he's doing with that software to make a seemingly common process so special.

I think the answer to the above along with why CyberGus is so damn funny would be very fulfilling.
I don't mean to pick apart your statement, but one thing struck me: a Tesla employee of female origin? Was she a female originally, but now isn't? Or did she originate from a female? I mean, we all originated from a female, right? Thanks for your post in a dry spell of new info!

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

And you speak for the rest of 'we'? Apparently not for one of us. It is extrememly unlikely that this process is for the exoskeleton, and I for one am very interested in whether it is for other panels and for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Sorry I should have put a sarcasm tag in there. It was just a joke.

As Tonto said to the Lone Ranger, "Who is this WE" :)

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I don't mean to pick apart your statement, but one thing struck me: a Tesla employee of female origin? Was she a female originally, but now isn't? Or did she originate from a female? I mean, we all originated from a female, right? Thanks for your post in a dry spell of new info!
That depends on when you think original is.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Since this is an old process I wouldn’t get hung up on the one person from Tesla taking the class bit of information. It is highly likely others already have this knowledge and she is adding to her knowledge base.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
My question is will there also be people with decades of experience in hot stamping.

Elon & Tesla have done great things and implemented many new innovations but there have been places where problems could have been avoided too ( Model 3 chassis, paint shop, panel gaps).

Not all oldsters are ossified. In speeding the EV transition, Sandy Munro, myself and others might be helpful too :) .
the trick is to find the flexible knowledgeable people out of the rigid fossils.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
You guys should all be banned for contradicting the Bible. Eve was formed from a rib of Adam.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Is it still cold rolled if it's then hot stamped?
No.

-Crissa

Tesla uses the right material for the right part. They aren't afraid of using lots of different metals and methods. This is one way to get very stiff pieces, which we already know they use high-strength steels to reinforce the pillars way beyond what other automakers do.

OP
OP
Macgyverfever

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
So, my brother (to re-iterate: Joe a mechanical engineer who works for an automotive machine press company) is making my head spin but in a nutshell:

1) He's never been able to successfully press cold-rolled stainless steel thicker than 2.6mm due to 'springback', etc. issues. I asked him if sheering the sheets prior to forming would help create bends, but he just corrected me that A) it's not sheering it's shearing (LOL whatever), and B) that would be cutting through the metal. So I re-phrase my question to mister smarty pants (who has no kids at ages 2 and 4 which at this current time are wrecking my fragile mind to the point of insanity) and ask if the metal could be scratched or otherwise made a shallow cut into to help make a bend, to which he states it would weaken the metal too much.
2) According to Joe, 3-4mm ss alloy can be stretched, stamped, and otherwise 'made into anything Elon wants' so long as its heated.

So, maybe the man will have to use heat to make this thing in the volume he wants?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla wasn't planning on pressing thicker sheets, they were planning on scoring and folding. There is some rolling they've begun using at SpaceX to make more complex pieces, but the deflection is very minor. Still, it means fewer pieces to make complex shapes.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Macgyverfever

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
Tesla wasn't planning on pressing thicker sheets, they were planning on scoring and folding. There is some rolling they've begun using at SpaceX to make more complex pieces, but the deflection is very minor. Still, it means fewer pieces to make complex shapes.

-Crissa
Scoring! That's the word I was looking for thank you Crissa. Joe says scoring would weaken the material, but I think it would be too little of an effect to really matter.
Sponsored