Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Scoring! That's the word I was looking for thank you Crissa. Joe says scoring would weaken the material, but I think it would be too little of an effect to really matter.
If you look they are not folding the exoskeleton very far. So they don't need to score deeply or have to much stretching on the bends.
Maybe the hot stamping is for Optimus sub-prime
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Scoring! That's the word I was looking for thank you Crissa. Joe says scoring would weaken the material, but I think it would be too little of an effect to really matter.
Yes, it will weaken the material. But that's not a problem, because it's stronger than it needs to be. That's the point.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
So, my brother (to re-iterate: Joe a mechanical engineer who works for an automotive machine press company) is making my head spin but in a nutshell:

and ask if the metal could be scratched or otherwise made a shallow cut into to help make a bend, to which he states it would weaken the metal too much.
Score and bend may be less strong but could still be strong enough for the job.

Supposedly at least one of the prototypes was made that way.

The guy in the article below thinks Cybertruck could be made by forming/stamping 3mm cold-rolled 30x stainless steel. He might be expert in AutoForm (sheet metal engineering software).

Elon claims that at least one Cybertruck prototype was made using score/bend/weld method.

So is Elon sandbagging on how Cybertruck will be made when in volume production?

--------------

Elon Musk ā€“ You Are Wrong About Forming Stainless Steel
February 4, 2020
https://stampingsimulation.com/forming-stainless-steel-part-2/

Tesla also stated that the process to bend the stainless sheet into the planar shape of the Cybertruck was to score the sheet and bend it, much like origami and then weld it into shape. A very large sheet of stainless would at first be laser cut or water jet cut into a flat pattern.

This is how the prototype Cybertruck was made, it was revealed.

--------------

Elon Musk @elonmusk Ā· Nov 24, 2019

Reason Cybertruck is so planar is that you canā€™t stamp ultra-hard 30X steel, because it breaks the stamping press.

Even bending it requires a deep score on inside of bend, which is how the prototype was made.

--------------

Last edited:

OP
OP
Macgyverfever

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK