Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When looking out your windscreen your eyes are focusing on objects 100' away and when you glance at objects in the mirror at roughly the same distance...
As far as I can tell, that's not true.

You're not maintaining a focal range. You still need to refocus to see the objects, they aren't at the same distance from your view. Objects you need to see in mirrors are at all sorts of distances, plus the distance from you to the mirror.

So it probably only bothers some types of vision impairments.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I'd be curious to know what it's like to drive a vehicle where the mirrors have been replaced by monitors.

When looking out your windscreen your eyes are focusing on objects 100' away and when you glance at objects in the mirror at roughly the same distance, your eyes don't have to adjust very much. It makes me wonder if it would take longer to focus on the details of a screen that's displaying 2 feet away rather than the mirror reflection of a car that's 100' away

I know that we already have displays and gauges in our vehicles that we look at, but for some reason it seems like it would be more difficult to look at a live display. It'll be interesting to try it out.
It may be a challenge, however it may be a welcome challenge. When my eyes are not closed, my eyeballs spend most of their time focused on my Desktop monitor, my phone and my tablet. My eyes have almost completely forgotten how to change focus. We can call this an exercise feature of CT. After couple of years, eye doctors may wonder why they don't have as many CT customers ;)

Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
As far as I can tell, that's not true.

You're not maintaining a focal range. You still need to refocus to see the objects, they aren't at the same distance from your view. Objects you need to see in mirrors are at all sorts of distances, plus the distance from you to the mirror.

-Crissa
When looking at objects from about 20' to infinity, there isn't much change in your focus. So looking at a car 50' in front of you and then into the mirror at a car 100' behind you doesn't take much time to focus.

But, distances from 0' to 20' require a lot more effort to focus and take a lot longer to occur.

Try it next time you're in your car. Look out the windshield at something 50' away and then look into your mirror at an object behind you. It's doesn't take a lot of effort. You can do this over and over without issue.

Now, try it again but this time don't look into the mirror, try to focus on the black bezel around the mirror, now back to the road. If you try to do it quickly you'll see what I'm saying. It's a very strange experience that you aren't aware of until you try it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
When looking at objects from about 20' to infinity, there isn't much change in your focus. So looking at a car 50' in front of you and then into the mirror at a car 100' behind you doesn't take much time to focus.

But, distances from 0' to 20' require a lot more effort to focus and take a lot longer to occur.

Try it next time you're in your car. Look out the windshield at something 50' away and then look into your mirror at an object behind you. It's doesn't take a lot of effort. You can do this over and over without issue.

Now, try it again but this time don't look into the mirror, try to focus on the black bezel around the mirror, now back to the road. If you try to do it quickly you'll see what I'm saying. It's a very strange experience that you aren't aware of until you try it.
Looking at my speedometer never seems to bother me.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag

Very true. Those of you who haven't had a rear view monitor in place of a rear view mirror, might not think it's true or real, but it most definitely is. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but for me (no vision problems), it is quite noticeable and I don't use the feature because of it.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
This is great. This picture definitely shows a separation of the panels for the Sail pillar to open up for storage. I know i have seen some pictures of it open but some other pictures, it didn't look like it opened so curious if it will be real. I have seen YouTube video of close ups at the museum and i couldn't see crease to indicate it would open up.

sail storage.JPG
I guess I don't see that, looks too tight to be a seam where it would open or hinge. Just looks like a tight seam between stationary panels, to me.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
There has been a lot of discussion about the slots in the vault floor. Zooming in on these high res pictures I'm second guessing if they are slots. Instead of slots that go into the bed, maybe they are rails / runners that stick out of the bed. Look how close the slot/rail is to the edge of the lid of the underbed storage.

1617908614166.png
There are T-Slot covers that could be raised like that. I mentioned this last week. The covers can be flat or domed like in this photo. They DON'T need to be glued in if they go in a T-Slot they push into place securely. They would keep dirt out of the slots plus would have the added benefit of creating rubber raised strips to make it easier to grab flat material like Sheet metal off of a flat bed. Plus being rubber it would help keep things from sliding around in the bed. Plus they could be removed for access to the T-Slots. Here's a visual from the Web Site below :
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Releases High-Res Images of the Cybertruck 1617941871822

https://www.mknorthamerica.com/Products/t-slot-covers/

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Only on this forum could high res pictures devolve into arguing about the mechanics of the human eye.

The car is going to be driving itself most of the time anyway.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I'd be curious to know what it's like to drive a vehicle where the mirrors have been replaced be screens

I replaced the side mirrors on my leaf, with cameras and screens.

The time to look at and know what I'm looking at is the same, took a week probably to fully adjust.
BUT that might be because the cameras are wider angle than ideal, so I see the sides alot (no blindspot now)and not so much as far back as the glass mirrors. Easy fix with correct lense.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I think the CT looks borderline overloaded with the ATV in the bed. Hopefully it will carry the weight better than the pic suggests.
Yeah my Land Rover LR3 would basically drop to the bump stops with a heavy trailer.. but as soon as you would key on it would pump up to level.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
There are T-Slot covers that could be raised like that. I mentioned this last week.
I like the idea of the slots and I really hope you are right ? . The one thing the high res pics showed that makes me think otherwise is how close the slot is to the edge of the under bed storage lid. Not saying this is absolute proof there are not slots. Just saying to me it seems that is a very thin piece of stainless between the edge and the slot.

OP
OP

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I guess I don't see that, looks too tight to be a seam where it would open or hinge. Just looks like a tight seam between stationary panels, to me.
To my eyes, these look like very obvious hinges. And the bottom of the sail pillar triangle is pretty obviously a seam where I wouldn't expect one if there were no storage. In the origami style folding of the outer shell, there wouldn't be multiple panels here if both were stationary.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Releases High-Res Images of the Cybertruck 0x0-Cybertruck_06 hinges

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Hey Guys & Gals,
These Hi Res images are interesting, and they are thought provoking. Let me start by saying at this point, all of our posts are opinions. My opinions may not agree with other opinions, but that should be fine. We are merely having conversations about a vehicle that as of now all we KNOW exists is one CONCEPT vehicle.
Alright here goes nothing. Years ago I was a hobby Graphic Designer. These images look like CGI and not photographs. I think they are incredibly good but at this point WE (including myself) are speculating what will be built.
I did a close-up of the tread pattern and you can see that the Pattern in the sand doesn't match up to the tires. In the sand there are perpendicular lines going straight across, yet when you look at the tire they are not at 90 degree angles.
BTW, I also feel like the rectangles that egandalf points out are NOT for hinges, but are actually representing anchor points that are for roof racks, or maybe could be used for the tent attachment. If you look further up above the A-pillar of the doors there's another one. Existing Tesla's have a similar arrangement to attach roof racks. Also these locations are in line with the pillars of the vehicle, which would be the ideal location to bare the weight. I BELEIVE the hinges for the side storage are internal, just like in the bed storage bin. Also, another interesting thing in the image to me, is what looks like a built in foot-step in the side of the tailgate and how the rear bumper wraps around to the rear tire and has a ledge for what could also be a stepping point. In the night of the reveal video when the guy on the ATV steps out of the bed it looks like he used the step on the side of the tailgate.
That's my opinion, and I would enjoy any discussions or opinions anybody else has.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Releases High-Res Images of the Cybertruck bedstorage

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Releases High-Res Images of the Cybertruck treadpatter
Sponsored

Last edited: