Tesla should contact customers in RESERVATION # ORDER, regardless of motor choice... right?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That's the main reason for my original post.

I think a lot of people who placed reservations in the first days really didn't expect there to be over a million reservations, and that could mean a drastic wait if your original choice was single or dual.

If they give single and dual reservation holders with lower numbers a choice to upgrade when they finally ship in a given region, I think a lot of us would do it. Some may change to save a year or so, others may simply love the higher specs or are in a better financial position than they were when they originally made the reservation.
I don’t understand. Anyone can change their trim w/o changing their place in line. Someone just told us they did it the other day. I changed my trim from dual to tri after one week. Same reservation number.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
I don’t understand. Anyone can change their trim w/o changing their place in line. Someone just told us they did it the other day. I changed my trim from dual to tri after one week. Same reservation number.
I called two Tesla offices in NJ the day before posting this asking them if I could change the order to whichever is being built first. The first was a Tesla Store and they weren’t sure, so they told me to call the second office, where I was told specifically that for them to change it would give me an all new reservation number (at the end of the line).

Both stores said based on past history, dual motor orders would likely ship a year later than the tri-motor orders.

The root of my original post was that there are too many conflicting opinions on which would be built first. People who ordered on day one were told the single and dual would be first… then they changed it to the tri-motor.

What bothered me was the rumors saying people in the same town as me who order a tri-motor a year after my dual order would likely get theirs first. So, before offering shipments to these newer offers, they should allow people to switch their preference.

Another factor was that I have an F-150 that has been in the shop for almost 3 months, so I’m anxious to replace it asap. If a dual motor Cybertruck will be delayed 2 more years, I’ll need to get the Lightning.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think you should stop asking dweebs (showroom people, really?) for information, don’t mess with your reservation, and chill. Or drive yourself crazy. Your choice.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla will try to sell what's available. That means they'll try to upsell you before they sell it to anyone not on the list.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Tesla will try to sell what's available. That means they'll try to upsell you before they sell it to anyone not on the list.

-Crissa
If the rumors are true, they'll start production exclusively with tri-motors for at least 6 months before building anything else because the higher prices help them recover the costs of building their new factories.

The list of tri-motor reservations is huge, so they're not likely to offer those tri-motors to people who didn't reserve them, even if they've waited a year longer.

Since my F-150 has been in the shop for nearly 3 months with no end in sight (They still don't know why it doesn't start), I know I won't be able to wait another 2 years to get my CT, so I think I'll order a Model Y. It'll hold it's value better than just about any vehicle out there, so I can trade it when the CT arrives without losing much value.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
If the rumors are true, they'll start production exclusively with tri-motors for at least 6 months before building anything else because the higher prices help them recover the costs of building their new factories.

The list of tri-motor reservations is huge, so they're not likely to offer those tri-motors to people who didn't reserve them, even if they've waited a year longer.

Since my F-150 has been in the shop for nearly 3 months with no end in sight (They still don't know why it doesn't start), I know I won't be able to wait another 2 years to get my CT, so I think I'll order a Model Y. It'll hold it's value better than just about any vehicle out there, so I can trade it when the CT arrives without losing much value.

If you act fast, your problem is solved:

The New York Lemon Law applies to new cars and motorcycles, both purchased and leased, which suffer a non-conformity – a defect or condition, which substantially impairs the use, value or safety – that has been addressed a substantial number of times (normally three to four) by an authorized manufacturer's dealership. This nonconformity must first occur within the first 24 months or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The New York Lemon Law also applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair thirty (30) or more calendar days within 18,000 miles or the first two years, whichever comes first.

Your 2019 qualifies.

I don't know anyone that would wait for their truck for 3 months.

New York has crazy liberal consumer protection laws. Time to take advantage of them.

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If you act fast, your problem is solved:

The New York Lemon Law applies to new cars and motorcycles, both purchased and leased, which suffer a non-conformity – a defect or condition, which substantially impairs the use, value or safety – that has been addressed a substantial number of times (normally three to four) by an authorized manufacturer's dealership. This nonconformity must first occur within the first 24 months or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The New York Lemon Law also applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair thirty (30) or more calendar days within 18,000 miles or the first two years, whichever comes first.

Your 2019 qualifies.

I don't know anyone that would wait for their truck for 3 months.

New York has crazy liberal consumer protection laws. Time to take advantage of them.
It's a 2016, but I got it January of 2017... it has 70,000 miles, so the lemon laws don't cover it.

That said, I need to find out what my rights are waiting 3 months for an extended warranty repair. The last time we spoke, they said they still can't figure out what's wrong with it.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
It's a 2016, but I got it January of 2017... it has 70,000 miles, so the lemon laws don't cover it.

That said, I need to find out what my rights are waiting 3 months for an extended warranty repair. The last time we spoke, they said they still can't figure out what's wrong with it.
That sucks.

I bought a new VW TDI. The airbag light came on while driving it home from the dealership.
VW never did fix it. I missed the Lemon Law by two weeks. The dealership was very smart about it, never letting the car sit while it waited for parts.
I spent thousands at several different VW dealers and independents, no one could fix it.
I drove that car for 600k miles with the ABS light on.

I'm afraid we're all in the same boat. Sit and wait. None of us can make a wrinkle in time to get our CT sooner. Best to buy a new truck of any flavor, drive it till it's paid off, then buy the CT. It's no good to stress over something that is completely out of your control.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
You’re so lucky…my Escalade EXT has served me well but at 14 years old its acting its age….trying to stttrrrretch out its life….
Great car. First big car purchase I made *new* was a model 3. That scared the shit out of me. Best financial choice in a while. In the US cars are critical to success as we don't have the reliable public transportation just about every other country has--and we're a young county with a TON of space lol.
If probably would have bought one of these used if EVs didn't capture my loyalty.

ramjet787

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
I called two Tesla offices in NJ the day before posting this asking them if I could change the order to whichever is being built first. The first was a Tesla Store and they weren’t sure, so they told me to call the second office, where I was told specifically that for them to change it would give me an all new reservation number (at the end of the line).

Both stores said based on past history, dual motor orders would likely ship a year later than the tri-motor orders.

The root of my original post was that there are too many conflicting opinions on which would be built first. People who ordered on day one were told the single and dual would be first… then they changed it to the tri-motor.

What bothered me was the rumors saying people in the same town as me who order a tri-motor a year after my dual order would likely get theirs first. So, before offering shipments to these newer offers, they should allow people to switch their preference.

Another factor was that I have an F-150 that has been in the shop for almost 3 months, so I’m anxious to replace it asap. If a dual motor Cybertruck will be delayed 2 more years, I’ll need to get the Lightning.
I wish Tesla would come out with something specifying how order changes will work. I was told by a Tesla office that when your order came up you would be notified and could make changes then without a new reservation number. How can the tri motor be first when there is a quad motor now too? That wasn't even on the list in 2019. I ordered a two motor but now I want which ever version gets the best range - even if that is a quad motor model.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
@Crissa will tell you that Tesla always offers an option to upgrade w/o changing your reservation. I am inclined to believe/agree. It is just what they do and it isn' written down anywhere that I know of. I have a tri on reservation but if getting a quad gets it to me sooner (I am not getting any younger), or if the quad has electronic brakes and the tri does not, etc. then I would take the upgrade if/when offered.

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I wish Tesla would come out with something specifying how order changes will work. I was told by a Tesla office that when your order came up you would be notified and could make changes then without a new reservation number. How can the tri motor be first when there is a quad motor now too? That wasn't even on the list in 2019. I ordered a two motor but now I want which ever version gets the best range - even if that is a quad motor model.
@Crissa will tell you that Tesla always offers an option to upgrade w/o changing your reservation. I am inclined to believe/agree. It is just what they do and it isn' written down anywhere that I know of. I have a tri on reservation but if getting a quad gets it to me sooner (I am not getting any younger), or if the quad has electronic brakes and the tri does not, etc. then I would take the upgrade if/when offered.
My original reason for posting this was that I made a dual motor reservation before Tesla announced that dual motors were potentially going to be built a year later.

It bothered me that somebody who reserved a tri-motor a year later would take delivery first. I was okay with their decision to move the higher priced models up front, but I just felt that they should at least give earlier reservation holders the option to change to a tri motor before calling newer reservation holders.

I think the whole thing is moot now that they no longer ask people what configuration they want when they make a reservation.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's why what model you selected is less important than when you got your reservation.

They no longer let you select a model when making a reservation because they have five years of potential reservations already. Who knows what the lineup will look like in five years?

-Crissa

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I'm not suggesting that they call 1.2 million people on the phone. What I'm suggesting is that simply follow the original sequence, especially since those who ordered on day one were not told our motor selection could mean an additional year of waiting.

They could simply send messages to those with the lowest numbers (those ordered when tri-motor would ship sooner) asking them to decide. A simple email stating timelines, and a way to confirm our choice based on those timelines. Some will respond with a change, others will ignore it and stay where they are.

I've seen quite a few people say they've already made changes to their order... some said the sequence didn't change, others say it did.

I called Tesla of NJ last week and asked them if they knew which would ship first. They didn't have an official answer, but confirmed the tri motor would be most likely. I asked if it would be worthwhile to change my order. They said it would definitely move my position to the end of the line... from 86,xxx to well over 1.2 million.

I just find it funny that somebody who reserved a dual motor on the 1st day needs to wait longer than somebody who waited nearly a year to make a tri-motor reservation.

As for why I'm not thrilled with waiting. My current truck is a 2016 F-150 with 30,000 miles left on a 100,000 mile warranty. I don't want to keep it much longer, so it frustrates me that a choice I made in 2019 determines whether I can replace it in 2022 or 2023.
I see it like this: Once production starts in April, we'll get an email stating something like this "You are in delivery tier B6, your Cybertruck will be delivered between August 1st and Sept 15th for the tri motor, between October 15th and November 30th for the dual motor, and December 15th through January 31st for the uni motor (also known as the Cyclops).
Changing your selection won't put you at the back of the line, but may affect deliver by a few months, sooner or later, depending on your original choice.
Nothing else would make sense.
Sponsored