Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
How Much Revenue Will Tesla Make From Sharing Superchargers?

https://insideevs.com/news/522126/tesla-open-superchargers-estimated-revenue/
By Steve Loveday
July 23, 2021

Tesla could stand to make $25 billion per year while helping the world's EV owners forget about range anxiety.

For years, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said it's his (and Tesla's) mission to encourage EV adoption. The mission is much more highly faceted than that, but you get the idea. As part of that mission, Tesla created its own proprietary fast-charging network, which it has offered to share with other EV makers, though it seemed no other companies were interested. Perhaps it comes at a cost that's exorbitant?

Regardless, now that there's a major surge in EV adoption, and many OEMs are producing (and actually promoting and selling) compelling EVs, it makes sense for Tesla to once again offer its vast and powerful Supercharger network to other automakers. And, that's sort of what has been reported.

With that said, it seems that rather than other automakers actually making a deal with Tesla to use its charging network, Tesla simply plans to open the network to other EVs, which would give owners the choice to use the Superchargers. If we understand correctly, those owners would be the ones paying Tesla for the charging sessions.

In fact, Elon Musk himself recently tweeted about it as part of a reply. He says Tesla will make its Supercharger network available to other EVs later this year

According to a recent report by our friends at Teslarati, Goldman Sachs worked to estimate just how much revenue Tesla could generate if it actually has other EVs charging on its network. The investment firm says the US-based electric automaker could make over $25 billion per year thanks to this upcoming plan. Teslarati writes:

"As part of its computation, Goldman Sachs considered the amount of Level 3 Superchargers in Tesla’s networks. According to the investment bank’s research, Tesla has ~3,000 stations with about 25,000 or more stalls. It also considered the amount Level 2 Destination Chargers Tesla built in partnership with various hotels, restaurants, shopping centers, and resorts."

While it makes perfect sense that Tesla will stand to benefit from this plan in a big way, $25 billion is incredible. However, some Tesla fans and owners have concerns about the potential impact on the network's wait times. Perhaps Tesla plans to build out the Supercharger network first before adding the option for other EVs to charge?
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Um that seems like an exaggeration. Goldman Sachs needs a new accountant.

$25,000,000,000 / 25,000 SC @ $0.50c/kWh = 2,000,000 kWh per charger per year or about 456kW continuously all year long, which is just not possible with a 250kW SC.

If you factor in battery charge tapering etc you will lucky if you get half the 250kW. And then you still have to have every charger booked out 100% 24/7 365 days a year which also won't happen. you also need every connected EV to be SC capable.

Now even if you add L3 chargers you won't be able to do half that either if they were all connected, because they only charge at a 25th of the rate of a SC. So you would need 25x as many L3 to do the same as the SC's...so um yeah nah. They should buy a calculator.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag

$25,000,000,000 / 25,000 SC @ $0.50c/kWh = 2,000,000 kWh per charger per year or about 456kW continuously all year long, which is just not possible with a 250kW SC.

If you factor in battery charge tapering etc you will lucky if you get half the 250kW. And then you still have to have every charger booked out 100% 24/7 365 days a year which also won't happen. you also need every connected EV to be SC capable.

Now even if you add L3 chargers you won't be able to do half that either if they were all connected, because they only charge at a 25th of the rate of a SC. So you would need 25x as many L3 to do the same as the SC's...so um yeah nah. They should buy a calculator.
When I saw that $25 billion number I was like "wait, what?" That is such a massive number. I haven't read the Goldman Sachs estimate but that number has to be like 10 years from now when the SC network has 10x'd

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

They always bake multiple years and growth into predictions. We're missing the time-frame in the quote.

Tesla installed about five thousand Superchargers last year.

-Crissa

PS, CyberPark found it for us!

Tesla could make $25 billion by opening up its charging system.

CT-47.jpg

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The Goldman Sachs estimate of $28 Bn is based on growth of the system to 500,000 terminals doing 15 cars per day each. They also showed estimates of $479M based on 25,000 terminals doing 5 cars a day each but screaming that number in the headline wouldn't attract that many clicks.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Please add lots of superchargers at locations... or set numbers a few blocks from each other..

Ever experience this?
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla to potentially make $25 billion from sharing superchargers wait lin

Adding more EV's going to make lines longer..

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How Much Revenue Will Tesla Make From Sharing Superchargers?

https://insideevs.com/news/522126/tesla-open-superchargers-estimated-revenue/
By Steve Loveday
July 23, 2021

Tesla could stand to make $25 billion per year while helping the world's EV owners forget about range anxiety.

For years, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said it's his (and Tesla's) mission to encourage EV adoption. The mission is much more highly faceted than that, but you get the idea. As part of that mission, Tesla created its own proprietary fast-charging network, which it has offered to share with other EV makers, though it seemed no other companies were interested. Perhaps it comes at a cost that's exorbitant?

Regardless, now that there's a major surge in EV adoption, and many OEMs are producing (and actually promoting and selling) compelling EVs, it makes sense for Tesla to once again offer its vast and powerful Supercharger network to other automakers. And, that's sort of what has been reported.

With that said, it seems that rather than other automakers actually making a deal with Tesla to use its charging network, Tesla simply plans to open the network to other EVs, which would give owners the choice to use the Superchargers. If we understand correctly, those owners would be the ones paying Tesla for the charging sessions.

In fact, Elon Musk himself recently tweeted about it as part of a reply. He says Tesla will make its Supercharger network available to other EVs later this year

According to a recent report by our friends at Teslarati, Goldman Sachs worked to estimate just how much revenue Tesla could generate if it actually has other EVs charging on its network. The investment firm says the US-based electric automaker could make over $25 billion per year thanks to this upcoming plan. Teslarati writes:

While it makes perfect sense that Tesla will stand to benefit from this plan in a big way, $25 billion is incredible. However, some Tesla fans and owners have concerns about the potential impact on the network's wait times. Perhaps Tesla plans to build out the Supercharger network first before adding the option for other EVs to charge?
25 billion will build a lot of superchargers or chargers that other vehicles can use....I just dont want to have to wain in line when a non-tesla car in charging

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No, but I have experienced gas lines.
yea, I saw long gas line back in the 70's when I was trying to drive cross country when I was transferred from Cherry Point to El Toro....drove 50mph pin a 1973 Pontiac Tempest LeMans.....spent night in Deming New Mexico and asked where I could get gas Sunday morning....the motel owner gave me breakfast, called a friend and he came and opened up his gas station at 0700 and filled me up...would not let me pay for gas....that was a great day and I was truly appreciative.....for the breakfast too

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Please add lots of superchargers at locations... or set numbers a few blocks from each other..

Ever experience this?
wait line.jpeg

I’ve been fortunate that the only times I’ve seen that was when I was leaving the chargers, not when I was arriving.

I haven’t heard a recent number, but from January to May Tesla added 5,000 chargers, increasing total capacity by 20%. If they keep adding chargers at a rate of 1,000/ month, they should have another 7,000 chargers by year end. That would be a 60% increase in capacity in one year.

Of course during that same time, the number of Teslas is going up… about that fast too? So they need to accelerate their pace of Supercharger growth just to keep up with Teslas, let alone other companies.

Edit/ Appendix:
There are a little more than 1.5 million Teslas on the road Today.

Current production is 200,000/ quarter and increasing so it seems like the rate they are adding Teslas to the road is (very) roughly in line with Supercharger growth rate. Seems like in places where Teslas are more common it’s falling behind to me.

Last edited:

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag

Ever experience this?
wait line.jpeg

Hey, I recognize that line! That's the Culver City SuperCharger off Supulvada near LAX.

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Every big city has parking spots on the streets equipped with meters. In future they will have small chargers instead on every street.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Carry a vehicle to vehicle cable and just daisy chain charging all the cars at once. Or, symphonic energy from car in front and just drive off. The car won’t be stranded at a charger. ?
Sponsored